The Student Room Group

What do I need to work for MI5/6?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by x-Sophie-x
You need to pass the fitness tests, including running AND swimming (I don't know why they see it necessary to be an excellent swimmer but hey :confused: )

Because a lot of field ops involve water, for all of the armed forces
Reply 21
Original post by MoonShadowWolf
So, i'm kind of an adventurer and my dream job would be to work for MI5/6 on operations in the field. Simply because no 2 days would be the same and i would get to combine work and travel. I understand that I will probably have to start in a lower position like as an intelligence analyst and work my way up. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any work experience/volunteering I could get to help me acheive this goal?

Thanks

If you got a job with those organisations, then aside from liaising internally and with different agencies - you would probably spend most of your time at a desk. Unless you have a very particular background - it is extremely unlikely that you would be any type of field operative.

Realistically, aside from the academics - the one thing that they are always looking out for is people with certain language skills which, depending on which of the agencies you mentioned, include Pashto, Dari, Arabic, Bengali, Gujarati, Somali etc. So learn those and then that way, you can spend your days in a cubicle listening to the friends and colleagues of suspected terrorists and drug dealers calling their old mums back home.
To answer your question it depends on the role. However for intelligence officer if i remember correctly, you need a 2:2 degree, be over 21, a british citizen, not have used illegal drugs in the past 12 months. There would also be a security and background checks for any criminal convictions. It would also be an advantage to know a foreign language.

Oh and take it from me (if you've missed what everyone else has already said) it's not as exciting as it seems. You will most likely be sitting at a desk 8 hours a day or shadowing a diplomat and going to diplomatic conferences. There are james bond-esque (i use this term lightly) roles in the SIS but you don't apply for them, you are chosen to do them and they are few and far between.

If you want adventure, join the militay or even better join the police. You will never be short of action in the police and funnily enough they are more like the films than the sis.

Also you aren't supposed to tell people you've applied, after all it is the secret intelligence service.
u need nvq level 2 in handling polonium
Do you need a language requirement to be an intelligence analyst? also, is there a job which combines intelligence analysis within a more risky environment?
Reply 25
So, i'm kind of an adventurer and my dream job would be to work for MI5/6 on operations in the field. Simply because no 2 days would be the same and i would get to combine work and travel. I understand that I will probably have to start in a lower position like as an intelligence analyst and work my way up. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any work experience/volunteering I could get to help me acheive this goal?

Thanks

Good luck.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/spy-in-a-bag-may-have-been-executed-by-secret-agents-coroner-hears-7604120.html
Reply 26
You could just, y'know, look online at the official webpage.
https://www.sis.gov.uk/
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Just a year ago, I wanted to be the exact same thing as you. Everyone kept telling me I must be joking, and in the end I gave up because I thought I was being ridiculous. But your thread has made me think about it all again :biggrin: I did some research about it a while ago. You need to pass the fitness tests, including running AND swimming (I don't know why they see it necessary to be an excellent swimmer but hey :confused: ) This didn't quite answer your question, but my advice to you is to become physically more fit and healthy (and I mean seriously fit); train your brain to answer questions immediately; and learn some basic first aid...it's all vital stuff for the role, and if you are already in good condition, they will be more likely to consider you ;D And they really aren't looking for "volunteering" and the like for this kind of job. If you want to work inside the offices, then this won't apply obviously. Good luck!

There are no fitness tests to join either M15 or SIS (both of which are civilian organisations). You are confused.
Original post by und
But that's what they all say. :wink:

Well said! :biggrin:
Original post by standreams
There are no fitness tests to join either M15 or SIS (both of which are civilian organisations). You are confused.

Hmm. Maybe. What about MI6 then? I know there are fitness tests on something, for someone working out on the field, but now I'm confused as to what? o.O
Original post by PerArduaAdAstra
I'm not kidding, I don't think you'll be able to now that you've posted this. I saw an advert in the paper refering to the secret service and it said you shouldn't speak to anyone about your intentions.

All you know is a nametag on an internet forum. You have no idea what is OP's real name, age or even where they live . This forum thread has hardly ruined his/her chances.

What it means is that if you are applying you shouldn't tell all of your friends, etc - only your immediate family members should know( i.e. spouse, parents, etc).
(edited 11 years ago)

Thanks

To answer your question, there is no work experience you could do within the intelligence services; they don't offer it for obvious security reasons. The only option here is to apply to join them. The only kind of experience that could help is working with sensitive information in another government department, but that's speculation at best.
Reply 32
Original post by ThatPerson
All you know is a nametag on an internet forum. You have no idea what is OP's real name, age or even where they live . This forum thread has hardly ruined his/her chances.

What it means is that if you are applying you shouldn't tell all of your friends, etc - only your immediate family members should know( i.e. spouse, parents, etc).

However, when the respective organisations do their vetting if/when the OP applies, this will come up as something in their past and they will be asked about it - I've had similar happen to me.
Original post by Drewski
However, when the respective organisations do their vetting if/when the OP applies, this will come up as something in their past and they will be asked about it - I've had similar happen to me.

Only if OP lists her name as MoonShadowWolf :wink:
Reply 34
Original post by ThatPerson
Only if OP lists her name as MoonShadowWolf :wink:

Or if the OP is subjected to an IP search which shows up their activity on the web...

I, at the time, was questioned about my activity on fb and TSR, my friend in the RN was asked about some of the things he'd been searching and reading up about... If you're going to get a high level clearance they will check, no point pretending otherwise.
Get a degree first. :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by FuLLuPMepOrtION
is there a job which combines intelligence analysis within a more risky environment?

Just cut two of the legs off your desk chair, that's pretty risky.
Reply 37
Original post by Drewski
Or if the OP is subjected to an IP search which shows up their activity on the web...

I, at the time, was questioned about my activity on fb and TSR, my friend in the RN was asked about some of the things he'd been searching and reading up about... If you're going to get a high level clearance they will check, no point pretending otherwise.

There's no such thing as an 'IP search' that can look into historical browsing.

Typing your name into Facebook is not some advanced CSI technology.
Original post by mimx
Just cut two of the legs off your desk chair, that's pretty risky.

Anyone else ever noticed tha all of the jokes on TSR just follow on from each other? it shows at best a lack of basic social skills.
Reply 39
Original post by mimx
There's no such thing as an 'IP search', whatever that's supposed to mean.

Typing your name into Facebook is not some advanced CSI technology.

When you're subjected to Developed Vetting for a clearance within the Intelligence sector you can come back and tell me what they're able to find out about you. Until then, believe me when I say that they can find out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending