The Student Room Group

Grades on TSR are insane! :O?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deziah
I've never known anyone to broadcast their grades in real life. From where I am from, your results are your results and you keep them to yourself. It's understandable to talk to somebody in your class about the grade you're aiming for or whatever, but talking about the grades you got at GCSE and so on would just be irrelevant. I'd never ask somebody in real life if my grades were good enough for a certain course - it'd be so insensitive. On the internet you don't have to worry about that - nobody knows you, and it doesn't matter who you offend.

It winds me up when people say things like "I got X amount of A*s and GCSE, and I am predicted X amount of A*s at A-level - am I good enough for medicine at Oxford?" and then they go on about how medicine is all they've ever wanted to do, and how Oxford is the only university they want to go to, etc, etc. Either they're showing off or genuinely lack the common sense to check university websites - and I'm pretty sure common sense is paramount for becoming a doctor.

After reading through a few of these posts on TSR I can't help but feel like I've got no chance at all of getting into university. I actually feel stupid. -.-

Grades are a common thing to talk about where I'm from....
As annoying as it may seem you shouldn't be too affected as we are all working towards different things. I think it may be skewed though because studious people tend to search out other studious people on forums to make sure they are in the know and up to standard.

Either that or I went to a rubbish college where As Bs and Cs where seen as a great thing and A*s ( although people had them) were a rare gem.

For the record a handful of As and Bs but no A* and proud :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Carrotcake18
I would say about 620/900? The majority of people (and everyone I know) get between 500/900 and 700/900 :unsure:

haha ohh in that case 795 is insane.
Reply 43
Original post by a10
Why people lie to make themselves look that good this is what I don't get? :s-smilie: haha

because getting good grades=lying?

and yeah i agree, was a bit :K: when i saw the cambridge applicants stalking thread. 98%/99% average UMS at AS. God knows what they look like
Original post by iLikeCupcakes

For the record a handful of As and Bs but no A* and proud :biggrin:

I assume your proud of your very good grades and not not getting A*'s? :tongue:
Original post by bmqib
because getting good grades=lying?

and yeah i agree, was a bit :K: when i saw the cambridge applicants stalking thread. 98%/99% average UMS at AS. God knows what they look like

Meaning?
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Meaning?

I assume like the rest of the thread it is a massive generalisation, this one being that clever people look ugly.
Reply 47
Original post by bmqib

hahahahahahaha that made me LOL
To be fair, if one peeks at the Cambridge stalking page, one can expect grades far exceeding one's own. :pierre:
Reply 49
Meaning?

meaning they are freaks of nature, and if encountered in real life i would probably stare in disbelief and amazement
Original post by bananarama2
I assume your proud of your very good grades and not not getting A*'s? :tongue:

Proud of my grades yes as for not getting any A*s I can not dwell and beat myself up about it. I am thankfully where I wanted to be without them.

Obviously we all want the best no ?
Reply 51
Original post by bananarama2
I assume like the rest of the thread it is a massive generalisation, this one being that clever people look ugly.

seriously its not generalisation just take few mins now and look at some of the stalking pages on TSR they are some insane grades on there like averaging 99% for AS :s-smilie:?
Reply 52
Original post by The Polymath
To be fair, if one peeks at the Cambridge stalking page, one can expect grades far exceeding one's own. :pierre:

I beg to differ. I mean, most of them are doing A levels.:cool:
Original post by Slumpy
I beg to differ. I mean, most of them are doing A levels.:cool:

Let me guess, you're an IB/Pre-U snob? :tongue:

I'd do well in those too.
Original post by a10
seriously its not generalisation just take few mins now and look at some of the stalking pages on TSR they are some insane grades on there like averaging 99% for AS :s-smilie:?

I know there are some amazing grades. Mine aren't too bad either, it's just I choose not to publish them. I thought about putting myself on the Cambridge stalking page, I again chose not to.
Original post by bmqib
meaning they are freaks of nature, and if encountered in real life i would probably stare in disbelief and amazement

I like the way you word things; there's a hint of derogation, but you manage to tiptoe around it. :tongue:

Clever \not= ugly.
Reply 56
I like the way you word things; there's a hint of derogation, but you manage to tiptoe around it. :tongue:

Clever \not= ugly.

true, i am very good looking. then again a levels are more about hard work than being clever
Reply 57
Original post by The Polymath
Let me guess, you're an IB/Pre-U snob? :tongue:

I'd do well in those too.

Nah, I did advanced highers (although pretty well there too). These days, as when I was at school actually, I figure A levels are a joke compared to uni.
Original post by Slumpy
Nah, I did advanced highers (although pretty well there too). These days, as when I was at school actually, I figure A levels are a joke compared to uni.

Of course A-levels are a joke compared to uni... :tongue: Uni is AFTER A-levels :facepalm:
Original post by a10
i know how you feel...

:frown: what are your grades/where are you applying? hope you get in!

Quick Reply

Latest