The Student Room Group

Freshers, would you use a cheap alcohol website that delivered free to your halls?

Hey all

I am a current student at Sussex university and rather than getting a standard part-time job I thought why not start an alcohol delivery service. I have the means to get quite cheap booze i.e. compete if not be cheaper than the Supermarkets, (my father runs a store) and the means to deliver it to campus. So as a bit of market research I would like to know if students, especially Freshers who are often far away from town and don't have cars, would consider using such a service if it was well advertised and had an easy to use website?

Cheers.
Reply 1
Already exists, I'm afraid!

...but yes it is quite a good idea, although I'm not sure the university would like it as you're promoting binge drinking (not that I have a problem with that, just stating a point!)
Would students use a service that offered cheap alcohol without having to go outside?

Hmm.
Reply 3
Original post by skotch
Already exists, I'm afraid!

...but yes it is quite a good idea, although I'm not sure the university would like it as you're promoting binge drinking (not that I have a problem with that, just stating a point!)

There doesn't seem to be one for Brighton, well not one I could see after a quick google search! And yes, the uni would not like it, but since the supermarkets deliver alcohol to halls I wonder if they would have the power to stop me?
Original post by gloved_hand
There doesn't seem to be one for Brighton, well not one I could see after a quick google search! And yes, the uni would not like it, but since the supermarkets deliver alcohol to halls I wonder if they would have the power to stop me?

Seeing as the coop here want £10000 for a can of 2.5% beer you probably could make quite a bit!

Wouldn;t you need licences and all that though?
Probably wouldn't work in Bangor, the halls are a five minute walk from the supermarket.

I'd also question the legality of it - fairly certain you need a licence if you're selling and supplying alcohol because of the age restrictions.
definitely a market, but would you want to spend your time working whilst others are out partying?
Reply 7
sign me up :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by thefunktopus69

Wouldn;t you need licences and all that though?

I already hold a liquor license through my father's business and if I did go ahead I would make the business a subsidiary of my father's business so I would be covered on that front. Anyways I have people who can guide me through the legal stuff.
Reply 9
It sounds like heaven.
Original post by gloved_hand
I already hold a liquor license through my father's business and if I did go ahead I would make the business a subsidiary of my father's business so I would be covered on that front. Anyways I have people who can guide me through the legal stuff.

Crate of boddingtons for me then Lewes Court please.
Reply 11
If the prices were as good, (or nearly as good if delivery was free) then I'd definitely be interested! We've got a few supermarkets near by, but the close ones are too small to have crates or decent spirits, and the larger ones are a bit too far to be carrying lots from.
So yeah, good plan!
Reply 12
Once the price per unit comes into action, you'll be rolling in the money, so go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending