Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oyster?? :confused:

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I’m going to be going to university in London soon and don’t understand how to get this reduced cap on daily fares? I have a normal adult oyster card. I understand that you can get a discount on monthly/weekly/yearly passes with a student oyster if that’s correct? However I heard that you can get 1/3 off your normal daily fare or cap or something? Can you do this? If so how? I’d really appreciate some help with this as I’m so confused? :confused:

Thanks
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get money off weekly, monthly and yearly passes. But the cap is the same for all oyster cards and there's no discount.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    You can get money off weekly, monthly and yearly passes. But the cap is the same for all oyster cards and there's no discount.
    So if I’m not going to buy weekly/monthly or yearly passes I’m best just to stick with a normal adult oyster card?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhavikrajani)
    So if I’m not going to buy weekly/monthly or yearly passes I’m best just to stick with a normal adult oyster card?
    Correct
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is a photocard that students can get to go with their Oyster, but it only applied to buses, and not to the tubes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    There is a photocard that students can get to go with their Oyster, but it only applied to buses, and not to the tubes.
    Ohh, what does that do?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ohh, what does that do?
    You can buy Weekly or Monthly Oysters cheaper
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can buy a 16-25 railcard and add that onto your Oyster, that gives you discounted tube and rail travel but not buses.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    as JKGB said get the young persons rail card and you can 'attatch' it to you oyster card getting 1/3 off travel, at least thats what my friend in London said any way
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I’m going to be going to university in London soon and don’t understand how to get this reduced cap on daily fares? I have a normal adult oyster card. I understand that you can get a discount on monthly/weekly/yearly passes with a student oyster if that’s correct? However I heard that you can get 1/3 off your normal daily fare or cap or something? Can you do this? If so how? I’d really appreciate some help with this as I’m so confused? :confused:

Thanks
    Hi, if you buy a 16-25 Young persons rail card - and take it down to a tube station customer service thing and buy an Oyster there (they will put the discount from the rail card on your Oyster) so you get 1/3 off your normal adult fare!

Otherwise you can get a student Oyster photo card (which is 1/3 off again - but to be honest it isn't worth it when you can just do the same with a railcard). Also with a student Oyster you can only put a weekly or monthly travel card on it I think. You don't get the discount on pay as you go, mine wouldn't register the discount at all to begin with. http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14312.aspx It was a huge waste of money.

If you're under 19, you can get a 16-18 Oyster http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14308.aspx ZIP! Which means you get MASSIVELY reduced fares! Definitely the way to go if you've gone straight from year 13 to London.

Hope this helps The young persons rail card is the best investment though! I saved sooooo much money when I was in London with it

Also if you're travelling ALOT around London daily - it may be worth investing in a monthly travel card (which is unlimited) rather than paying everyday. I paid £141 a month for unlimited TFL travel in zones 1-6. Quite a good saving if you're travelling in, out and around London as much as I was.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arty)
    Hi, if you buy a 16-25 Young persons rail card - and take it down to a tube station customer service thing and buy an Oyster there (they will put the discount from the rail card on your Oyster) so you get 1/3 off your normal adult fare!

Otherwise you can get a student Oyster photo card (which is 1/3 off again - but to be honest it isn't worth it when you can just do the same with a railcard)

If you're under 19, you can get a 16-18 Oyster http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14308.aspx ZIP! Which means you get MASSIVELY reduced fares! Definitely the way to go if you've gone straight from year 13 to London.

Hope this helps The young persons rail card is the best investment though! I saved sooooo much money when I was in London with it
    Thanks for the reply
    So if I do the railcard thing, does that mean I get 1/3 off all my fares or just the weekly and monthly fares?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply
    So if I do the railcard thing, does that mean I get 1/3 off all my fares or just the weekly and monthly fares?
    You get the discount on pay as you go too.

You have to be in further education. Uni is higher education.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    You get the discount on pay as you go too.

You have to be in further education. Uni is higher education.
    I wasn't young enough to be eligible for it - but my fellow uni friends had the 16-18 zip. I think it works if you apply for it while still in year 13 maybe?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply
    hi, 1/3 off all fares (pay and go and travel cards), however I don't think it applies on the buses. But most people hardly use buses anyway and they are super super cheap only £1.35 on your Oyster per journey and a £4.20 cap.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arty)
    hi, 1/3 off all fares (pay and go and travel cards), however I don't think it applies on the buses. But most people hardly use buses anyway and they are super super cheap only £1.35 on your Oyster per journey and a £4.20 cap.
    I think I finally get it!
    So the best thing to do is if I get a rail card, take that to the tube station with my oyster? And if I don’t get a rail card, buy a student oyster card 18+?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes get a rail card! (you can order one online and it takes a couple of days to arrive or go into your local train station and buy one instantly there. Although if you buy one at the station you'll need all the documents and passport photo then, and you get given a paper railcard in a wallet. If you buy it online you just get a plastic card!) it's £28 for a year or £65 for 3 years.

Then take the rail card down to a tube station when you buy (and topup) your oyster an get someone to attach the discount!

Also not sure if your home is far from London (if you use long distance trains) some companies like Cross Country will give you an extra discount on top of the railcard discount - when you use your NUS card!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 17, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.