The Student Room Group

Teachers' salary - not as bad as made out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shatners bassoon
Teacher salary is pretty awesome, especially considering the amount of holiday you get and the gold plated pension (and the fact that your job is fun and doesnt involve an office!).

People talk about the amount of extra work involved, but id say thats generally just when you start out. A couple of years in and it all gets a lot easier, planning is done in your head and marking takes a lot less time.

If youre really in it for the money, go to boarding school where you can get an excellent salary, heavily subsidised accomodation, 4 meals a day and often a pay spine that goes up yearly for up to 40 years. However at these schools you do have to put the hours in after work with sports 3x a week, boarding duties till 11pm and saturday school

I don't necessarily agree with the first two paragraphs. Teachers have lots if stuff to do in the hols and the new public sector pension deal is crap. Also, I know teachers who have been teaching for years and still work 60hr plus weeks
Original post by *Interrobang*
I don't necessarily agree with the first two paragraphs. Teachers have lots if stuff to do in the hols and the new public sector pension deal is crap. Also, I know teachers who have been teaching for years and still work 60hr plus weeks

Maybe I'm not one to be able to speak authoritatively just yet, being only in my third year of teaching, but I'm certainly already finding the workload much reduced just through experience. Planning a decent lesson (not an OFSTED spectacle, but not a bad lesson) takes maybe 10 minutes, marking takes a fraction of the time it used to etc. And I definitley don't work in the holidays!

I also disagree with you about the new public sector pension deal. It's still awesome! Even at my relatively low wage compared to what I would hope my career average will be, I'm still getting an extra £500 index linked annuity for every year I work, which if I survive 10 years after pension age makes it equivalent to an extra 5K a year on my current salary! I don't think there are that many careers where you can expect at least a good 25K a year annuity if you stick the course!

Anyway I'm sure we can agree to disagree, but personally I think my salary, benefits and work life balance are fantastic, and I think it would be silly for people to avoid entering the profession for reasons of renumeration, when it really is more than adequate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Teachers have overtime, but also a lot more holidays.
Original post by Shatners bassoon
Maybe I'm not one to be able to speak authoritatively just yet, being only in my third year of teaching, but I'm certainly already finding the workload much reduced just through experience. Planning a decent lesson (not an OFSTED spectacle, but not a bad lesson) takes maybe 10 minutes, marking takes a fraction of the time it used to etc. And I definitley don't work in the holidays!

I also disagree with you about the new public sector pension deal. It's still awesome! Even at my relatively low wage compared to what I would hope my career average will be, I'm still getting an extra £500 index linked annuity for every year I work, which if I survive 10 years after pension age makes it equivalent to an extra 5K a year on my current salary! I don't think there are that many careers where you can expect at least a good 25K a year annuity if you stick the course!

Anyway I'm sure we can agree to disagree, but personally I think my salary, benefits and work life balance are fantastic, and I think it would be silly for people to avoid entering the profession for reasons of renumeration, when it really is more than adequate.

This is something that seems to be holding true - not comprehensively, but certainly the more people i speak to (both on here and in 'real life'). Thanks for this post, very reassuring.
After 30 years in the job I've forgotten what lesson planning is and just make things up as I enter the classroom....:redface:
Slightly off topic from this thread (I might start a new one if I don't get many replies in here), but does anyone know whether you can teach Law at GCSE/A Level with a GDL rather than a law degree? (Obviously followed up with a PGCE or similar?)

For anyone who has seen any of my other threads, you may already know that I was very stuck between a legal career and one in teaching; I am currently doing the GDL after graduating last year. I can't get my fees back now after starting the course, despite having decided that I'd rather go into teaching. As such, I'm contemplating continuing with the GDL if that would give me the option of teaching law as well as history, and it would also leave my options open to go back into law if anything did go drastically wrong with teaching 15 years down the line or whatever. However, if you can't teach law with the GDL, then I may as well quit the GDL and get a temp job for a year, so at least I'm earning a bit of money to make up for the 6k+ I've had to spend on the conversion course!
I think the number of hours you do is one of the problems. My friends and I worked out that we would be on around £8 an hour [at the NQT wage] if we actually divided the income by the hours we were putting in. Not a bad wage, but not actually that much more than minimum wage.

The other thing is the amount you can start on in other industries.
My friends have just graduated and they have all secured that much or more.
Eg, 1 friend hasn't graduated yet [he is re-sitting] but is on £20,000 in an ICT/media role.
Eg, 1 friend is on £25,000 on a graduate scheme [insurance based] with ongoing pay reviews.
Eg, 1 friend is on £25,000 as a project manager for an engineering company.
Not bad for your first wage when you have just graduated with your BA/BSc. :redface:

I am currently doing non-teaching work at the moment though, which isn't well paid at all, so the NQT wage is looking incredibly appealing right now lol. Plus, I want to be back in the classroom with "my" class. :redface:
Reply 27
When I add up the hours my gf spends working, teacher pay per hour is barely above minimum wage, so not not very good tbh
Original post by affinity89
I think the number of hours you do is one of the problems. My friends and I worked out that we would be on around £8 an hour [at the NQT wage] if we actually divided the income by the hours we were putting in. Not a bad wage, but not actually that much more than minimum wage.

The other thing is the amount you can start on in other industries.
My friends have just graduated and they have all secured that much or more.
Eg, 1 friend hasn't graduated yet [he is re-sitting] but is on £20,000 in an ICT/media role.
Eg, 1 friend is on £25,000 on a graduate scheme [insurance based] with ongoing pay reviews.
Eg, 1 friend is on £25,000 as a project manager for an engineering company.
Not bad for your first wage when you have just graduated with your BA/BSc. :redface:

I am currently doing non-teaching work at the moment though, which isn't well paid at all, so the NQT wage is looking incredibly appealing right now lol. Plus, I want to be back in the classroom with "my" class. :redface:

The comparison with those sorts of jobs could be interesting. How much can they move up the pay scale? What are your friends likely to be earning in those jobs when they get to middle age?
if your teaching at eton, well you woundt need to worry about money
Consider the tax, and for many who can get a teaching job well out of their community; add the transportation cost and the additional time that is added to their already burdensome day and then the high cost of living and I can tell you that teachers are living from hand to mouth some in debt of a life time. Some seems rich because their wives or husbands are already in a rich job and that I think makes you look like professional whores. These days it is also a risk where up north one teacher had her throat slit by a student and another teacher had a knife in his tummy by a student. There are so many unrecorded incidents not to forget the emotional abuse they have to put up with from parents, students and even their own colleagues. It is not a job worth having and as for the salary, you might as well use it to wipe your arse because it is totally useless. Also, the amount of work that is expected of these people, I can use only one word to describe this and that is oppression. I do not believe that it is worth the time and for those who are saying that 21000 pounds is a good starter for teachers you must be in coo coo land. It is a disgrace an utter disgrace. I am not a teacher but I know too many who fit the bill of a pauper and through pride have to smile and pretend that all is well. I think that for many of them, by the time they realise, it is too late as it also takes over their minds and they feel that they can not do anything else. I am so sorry for them as their social lives is usually non-existent. Poor things, the holidays they get is not enough to recuperate because within that time they still need to plan and do so much. Many of those with family neglect their own family because of this **** so call job which I call slavery.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think for me as a parent it's a great job. I'm in the London fringe so starting salary here is £23100 near enough. I'm doing my final year teacher training in September so obviously only speaking from how I imagine it to be rather than experience so maybe wrong.

We don't get much time to go out due to childcare issues so tbh I don't mind spending my evening cutting, sticking and printing! I actually quite enjoy it too I've always loved the creative side of things. Planning wise most of my previous jobs have been paperwork, paperwork and more paperwork so I don't feel as though I will have too much of a problem with that bit (I'm 27 in October - do I count as a mature student?!)

I am doing early years / ks1 and I absolutely love it, prefer FS if I had a choice but love the flexibility of what you teach and how you do it.

I love that there are so many different ways to earn money If you want to - i.e subject leader, stage leader, SENCo or management. My long term goal would be management, again like in previous roles, so here leadership scale starts on £39,267. For a job that you can do around children I don't think it's bad at all (as in make them dinner and pick it up later once they are in bed or one day it's nice in the holidays and you fancy a day out you can do your work the next day etc)

The job I am leaving I got 28 days holiday a year and work 8-6.30 for less than starting salary as a teacher and I hate it no job satisfaction at all so really looking forward to it.

It's not a get rich quick job but it's satisfying and flexible :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably depends where you're coming from. If you're a graduate who's done a lot of min wage work post uni then a teachers pay will sound like a whopper.

I bet when in the thick of it as a teacher though, after tax, I bet I can see why it's easy to feel under compensated.
Original post by brumunihistory
So, in terms of the pay scale thing, am I right that from newly qualified, you can get up to around 30k straight off? Then the leadership spine doesn't come into play until you start to become head of year or head of head of faculty etc.? So, in reality, you'll probably be earning 30k for another few years after those first 5, because you're unlikely to get to head of faculty/head of year after only having only been qualified for 5 years?

If you're in the profession, could you perhaps give me some estimate of what you think the pay would be like every 5 years? And calculate it as thought I was trying to get into those head of faculty positions etc. as quick as was likely to happen, and assuming that I'm good at my job!

So perhaps - qualify at 23, earn 21k. By 28 earn around 30k. By 33 probably not advanced much from the age of 28, so still earning around 30k. By 38 - maybe on the leadership scale as head of a year or head of a faculty, so maybe earning nearer 35k? And maybe by mid 40s you could be earning 40-45k and you're probably going to be a head of year/faculty or similar? and then you'll stay around 40-45k as a head of year/faculty with a few years experience, unless you want to become a head or deputy etc.? Does that sound like a reasonable time frame?

I don't think you would be on the leadership spine for those kinds of roles. You would get a tlr payment on top of your main salary (which would be dependent on which point you were on).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending