The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arina162
Thank you! :smile: On the page it just says that it's avaible which doesn't necessarily mean that it's included. Thank you for clearing that up. :smile:

If it's that way in the university dorms it should be in the private ones as well, shouldn't it?

The cost of phone calls aren't included. It's free to call internally (so you can call anyone who lives in university owned accommodation as you all have a 4 digit calling code) but if you want to call externally then you have to buy a calling card and put money on your phone. If people want to call you then it's normal rate, assuming you get them to call the international number (if they're in the UK) which is a normal 0131 number whereas the number they tell you to call within the UK is an 0845 number (I think) which costs more.

I strongly agree with NHI with regards to the private halls thing. I'm not sure what you're looking for but all you get for more money in private halls is slightly more modern furniture, it's really not worth it and if you want something really modern then you're better off renting privately and having that as a priority. However, keep in mind that most flats in Edinburgh are over 100 years old and most retain the character features of fireplaces, high ceilings, wooden floors etc. Many flats also don't have double glazing due to the cost and style of windows.
(edited 11 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 41
Original post by oxymoronic
The cost of phone calls aren't included. It's free to call internally (so you can call anyone who lives in university owned accommodation as you all have a 4 digit calling code) but if you want to call externally then you have to buy a calling card and put money on your phone. If people want to call you then it's normal rate, assuming you get them to call the international number (if they're in the UK) which is a normal 0131 number whereas the number they tell you to call within the UK is an 0845 number (I think) which costs more.

Thank you for clearing that up. Will help me a lot since my parents can call me on the landline than. :smile:

Well, I guess I'm quite spoiled since these past 3 years I've been living in a dorm in Berlin - 25qm studio, fully furnished, all bills included for 240€ per month.
Well, I guess I'm quite spoiled since these past 3 years I've been living in a dorm in Berlin - 25qm studio, fully furnished, all bills included for 240€ per month.

Er yeah. We don't have that in Britain. You might get something that size that was a "studio" in Edinburgh for £550-£600 including bills if you were lucky. If you opt for a "studio" in private halls it won't be anywhere near 25sqm and will probably cost ~£800 minimum per month. The joys of an awful housing market.

oxymoronic
Many flats also don't have double glazing due to the cost and style of windows.

You can't actually double glaze in a lot of buildings due to planning laws, rather than style of window (there are double glazed "Edinburgh appropriate" sash windows available) - it's all about preserving the heritage of Edinburgh's old buildings - something which I agree with on the nice buildings, but the tenement I live should arguably have come down when the surrounding slums were demolished and keeping the windows the same isn't helping anyone....
Does anybody know if Ethernet is provided in all rooms? Only WiFi is mentioned, maybe it is just assumed that Ethernet will be provided?
Reply 44
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Er yeah. We don't have that in Britain. You might get something that size that was a "studio" in Edinburgh for £550-£600 including bills if you were lucky. If you opt for a "studio" in private halls it won't be anywhere near 25sqm and will probably cost ~£800 minimum per month. The joys of an awful housing market.

Hahaha, I know that this is an amazing price to live at. :wink: And I've quite come to terms with the prices in Edinburgh which are still reasonable - in comparison to some other cities at least :wink:

I think I've decided to apply to Mylne's Court now (the building looks just amazing) and Beaverbank. Since I have to get an ensuite room the prices seem to be roughly the same. Thanks for the help! :smile:
Hahaha, I know that this is an amazing price to live at. :wink: And I've quite come to terms with the prices in Edinburgh which are still reasonable - in comparison to some other cities at least :wink:

I think I've decided to apply to Mylne's Court now (the building looks just amazing) and Beaverbank. Since I have to get an ensuite room the prices seem to be roughly the same. Thanks for the help! :smile:

I only just realised that you're a PG applicant. You do realise that the chances of you getting accommodation via the university are practically zero?
Reply 46
I only just realised that you're a PG applicant. You do realise that the chances of you getting accommodation via the university are practically zero?

How can they be zero if they are so many places open for postgrads? I know that only international students definitely get a place but they do have to provide more than for those? And what I gathered here is that most postgrads don't seem to live in halls anyway but are more likely taking up private flats? Or is that wrong?
How can they be zero if they are so many places open for postgrads? I know that only international students definitely get a place but they do have to provide more than for those? And what I gathered here is that most postgrads don't seem to live in halls anyway but are more likely taking up private flats? Or is that wrong?

When I was a postgraduate RA in halls, I met very very few EU students. Accommodation Services really is stretched to breaking point to accommodate all international students covered by its guarantee (because yes, many don't bother applying but many do). By all means apply, but starting considering what to do in the event that you don't get a place, because it's highly likely.
Reply 48
When I was a postgraduate RA in halls, I met very very few EU students. Accommodation Services really is stretched to breaking point to accommodate all international students covered by its guarantee (because yes, many don't bother applying but many do). By all means apply, but starting considering what to do in the event that you don't get a place, because it's highly likely.

Thank you for that information. Very different to Germany... Anyways, I'll still apply and hope for the best. I simply can't come over and look for a private-let flat (or pay for the furnishing). If no other way is available I'll just have to book one of the private dorms... :s-smilie:
Thank you for that information. Very different to Germany... Anyways, I'll still apply and hope for the best. I simply can't come over and look for a private-let flat (or pay for the furnishing). If no other way is available I'll just have to book one of the private dorms... :s-smilie:

It's not a UK university thing, this is very much a University of Edinburgh issue - housing is something that varies quite widely around the country. Regarding a private let, I really think you ought to consider it (everyone does it) - 97% of lets include the furniture (unlike Germany) - if you join a group looking to flatshare and find somewhere decent, you shouldn't pay more than £400 for your room + bathroom + living room + kitchen + bills with all the furniture already there.
Reply 50
It's not a UK university thing, this is very much a University of Edinburgh issue - housing is something that varies quite widely around the country. Regarding a private let, I really think you ought to consider it (everyone does it) - 97% of lets include the furniture (unlike Germany) - if you join a group looking to flatshare and find somewhere decent, you shouldn't pay more than £400 for your room + bathroom + living room + kitchen + bills with all the furniture already there.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. But my life is so stressful at the moment - so many things going on - that I don't really have the energy to look for anything...:ashamed2: I just want to book and move in... And since I'll be working I can probably afford the private dorms and then I know what to expect.
I just have one question. Do I have to pay the fee (250GBP) only if the university offers me a place and I take it? Or do I have to pay as well if I don't take the room? :confused:
How many students generally have roommates in catered accommodation their first year? In the US where I am from nearly everyone shares a room, I would like to get an idea of what the norm is at Edinburgh. Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madeleinemrsie
How many students generally have roommates in catered accommodation their first year? In the US where I am from nearly everyone shares a room, I would like to get an idea of what the norm is at Edinburgh. Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've moved your post to the Accommodation sticky.

Shared accommodation in catered is very unusual. No more than 5-10% of catered residents are sharing. Culturally, Britain tends not to do shared accommodation at universities.
Yes, I'm sure you're right. But my life is so stressful at the moment - so many things going on - that I don't really have the energy to look for anything...:ashamed2: I just want to book and move in... And since I'll be working I can probably afford the private dorms and then I know what to expect.
I just have one question. Do I have to pay the fee (250GBP) only if the university offers me a place and I take it? Or do I have to pay as well if I don't take the room? :confused:

Well it's much too early to be looking for a private let anyway.

In terms of the private halls, I'll let it go - but I don't know anyone who has lived in one in Edinburgh and been satisfied.

As far as I remember, the £250 is only paid if the university offers you accommodation and you accept (it's a deposit). However, for anyone else reading this, bear in mind that international PG students are required to pay £250 when applying for a place rather than when they offered one.
Reply 54
I've been looking at James Craig Court and on the Univesity page it is quoted at £113.96 (which I can afford) but on the website for James Craig it is quoted at £162.50 (which I can't afford). Has the university bought a few rooms from private lets? Which price do I have to pay?

Also I'll be studying maths, possibly into direct 2nd year entry, would this accommodation be too far from my lectures/tutorials, if I have a few things timetabled at Kings buildings?
Reply 55
All the flats or rooms at £114 have been let to the university so you can only get them through the university. The ones for.much more you can book directly through the James Craig Court website. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Hello. I have accepted an offer as a Postgraduate student for 2013/14. I am coming from the United States and my husband and two children will be coming with me for the year. I am hoping to get some information about the university family housing. We're trying to decide private vs. university housing. What are the university flats really like? Are all the flats in one area or are there multiple options? We're trying to decide university smaller/not as nice, but cheaper vs. private bigger, nicely furnished but more expensive. Thanks for any assistance!
Reply 57
Hey guys, I am wondering how hard it is to get a twin room in university accommodation? I am an international student from the US that may firm Edinburgh for entry in 2013 so I was just wondering about this. Having a twin room would help a lot with my college finances.
Original post by Mmi203
Hey guys, I am wondering how hard it is to get a twin room in university accommodation? I am an international student from the US that may firm Edinburgh for entry in 2013 so I was just wondering about this. Having a twin room would help a lot with my college finances.

It's not particularly easy as there really aren't many of them. I would also point out that unlike many universities in North America, you won't be living in their accommodation after first year, so it doesn't have that big an impact on your finances in the grand scheme of things.
Reply 59
For anyone who's interested this was released today about 2013-2014 accommodation at the University of Edinburgh
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/about/news/applications-for-accommodation-2013

Latest

Trending

Trending