The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths

I'm going to college tomorrow to do GCSE Maths as I didn't do very well at school. It's all happened a bit quickly to be honest so am not prepared at all. The course started last week so have already missed a week and people will already have started to form friendships. I'm 35 so I'm thinking I will probably be the oldest there!! Haven't enrolled yet got to do that tomorrow too. Also not sure what I would need to take with me with it only being 2nd week in. I need to do this but now it's actually going to happen I'm very apprehensive :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'd say bring a ruler, protractor, compass, eraser, pens, sharpener and sharp pencils. Possibly a calculator. I only recommend this much so you're prepared for every eventuality. I doubt you will need all of this every day, but it would be best to find out what you will be doing first and then take the items your teacher says you will need. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you :smile:
I've got the protractor and compass and things in a set. Some sort of note pad too I'm guessing?

Reply 3
A notepad or working book is perfect for Maths.

I'm doing Maths (level 2 and 3) on an Access course and petrified! I did do Maths aeons ago at GCSE and got a respectable B but I'm completely out of the loop.
Reply 4
Original post by missybct
A notepad or working book is perfect for Maths.

I'm doing Maths (level 2 and 3) on an Access course and petrified! I did do Maths aeons ago at GCSE and got a respectable B but I'm completely out of the loop.

Thank you. Yeah it's nearly 21 years since I did my GCSE's!!!! Very nervous but it's what I need to do. I'm doing access next year but it's been recommended that I do GCSE maths first as a lot of unis do ask that GCSE's have been completed before applying!!

Makes it worse as the group I'm joining will have already done one session. Not sure if I'll need to catch up or not!

Reply 5
Yes, many Universities do require GCSE Maths as a subject. But think of it this way - at least it'll be fresh in your memory! Some people who go back to education don't have to do Maths as part of their Access course (I think at Norwich City College, if you've already got a C or above at GCSE, you don't have to do the Maths part) which leaves them a bit rusty.

You'll be fine - ask someone in your class if you can just have a glance or photocopy their notes - chances are they've just had a session to get to know each other.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me or anyone else - we're here to help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by missybct
Yes, many Universities do require GCSE Maths as a subject. But think of it this way - at least it'll be fresh in your memory! Some people who go back to education don't have to do Maths as part of their Access course (I think at Norwich City College, if you've already got a C or above at GCSE, you don't have to do the Maths part) which leaves them a bit rusty.

You'll be fine - ask someone in your class if you can just have a glance or photocopy their notes - chances are they've just had a session to get to know each other.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me or anyone else - we're here to help :smile:

That's lovely thank you :smile:

I'm very nervous lol but it's probably just the unknown. Once I'm there I'm sure I'll be fine and it's only one morning a week lol. If I'm like this now what am I going to be like on an access course or uni lol.

Thanks all for your help

Reply 7
Original post by Lynetteb35
That's lovely thank you :smile:

I'm very nervous lol but it's probably just the unknown. Once I'm there I'm sure I'll be fine and it's only one morning a week lol. If I'm like this now what am I going to be like on an access course or uni lol.

Thanks all for your help

Good luck for your maths lesson, I am sure it will go well. I expect last week was just introductions and a run down on what you will learn. I wish I had done my GCSE Maths, I did contact a college about doing it for this year but they were already full.
Reply 8
Original post by jami74
Good luck for your maths lesson, I am sure it will go well. I expect last week was just introductions and a run down on what you will learn. I wish I had done my GCSE Maths, I did contact a college about doing it for this year but they were already full.

Yeah so was the one I'm going to but I think she took pity on me lol.

Thank you :smile:

Reply 9
I am 29, i did IGCSE maths in two weeks and got a C, and maths is far from my greatest subject, sure you will be fine.
Reply 10
Original post by steve83
I am 29, i did IGCSE maths in two weeks and got a C, and maths is far from my greatest subject, sure you will be fine.

Did you have to book your. Own exam?? I was going to do it as a distance learning course but the exam part put me off a little!

Reply 11
I did it through the RAF, it was a two week intensive course, it was a lot to take in,in a short space of time.
Reply 12
Original post by steve83
I did it through the RAF, it was a two week intensive course, it was a lot to take in,in a short space of time.

I'll bet!!! Maths is my worst subject ever so I'm really dreading it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending