The Student Room Group

Woman who falsely claimed rape by 3 men - jailed for 2 years

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Hopple
Everyone knows rape happens, but how can you print a story if it could lead to the victim being identified? For false claims, the victims have already been identified because rape accused don't have anonymity, so a story can be run shaming the criminals.

Which would be a relevant comment if I was condemning the report of the incident, rather than the incident itself. Seems a little like you're looking for an argument that's not there.
Reply 81
What a bitch. Deserves way more than two years.
Reply 82
Original post by riotgrrl
Which would be a relevant comment if I was condemning the report of the incident, rather than the incident itself. Seems a little like you're looking for an argument that's not there.

My bad, I thought you were extending your criticism to the reporting of it.
She looks filthy....
Reply 84
Women who do this are outrageous!! it's so sick.
Reply 85
Original post by pol pot noodles
No, only 7% of people accused of rape get sent to prison.

the 7% sent are mostly the 'drag women down alley' kinda stuff where there is outstanding evidence including dna.

Only 7% are successful because often it is just word for word, or there is lack of evidence etc.

Considering only 10% of rapes are reported i think these figures are way too low and pretty ****ing disgusting

There may be a fair few lying women but there are obviously far more actual rape victims and obviously far too many rapists walking around free.
Reply 86
Original post by kunoichi
the 7% sent are mostly the 'drag women down alley' kinda stuff where there is outstanding evidence including dna.

Only 7% are successful because often it is just word for word, or there is lack of evidence etc.

Considering only 10% of rapes are reported i think these figures are way too low and pretty ****ing disgusting

There may be a fair few lying women but there are obviously far more actual rape victims and obviously far too many rapists walking around free.

Are you seriously saying someone should be sent to prison based on someone's (biased) testimony alone (and have their own biased testimony in their favour, of course), or if there is a lack of evidence?

Edit: this to your post below too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Hopple
How do you know only 7% of rapists are convicted? How do you know that someone who isn't convicted of rape did actually commit rape?

In the cases of the 7% there is dna, witnessess etc. The reason ONLY 7% is because most of the time there is not enough evidence for the other cases. Im going to assume that that 7% is the 'drag women down an alley' type rape, where it is kind of undeniable that that has happened.

You do know that only 10% of rapes get reported as well?

So obviously a lot of rapists walking free and not even reported at all.
Reply 88
Original post by Chief Wiggum
If they aren't convicted of rape, how do you know they're guilty of rape?

Are you referring to this: "The National Violence Against Women
Survey (7) estimated that 37% of reported rapes of adult
women were prosecuted."

Is that not reported rapes? The woman this thread is about reported rape... You are essentially saying that whenever someone is accused of rape, they are therefore a rapist. That is quite clearly not the case.

lol so you are saying that 83% of people are lying? I think not

And what about the 90% of rapes that dont even get reported?
Reply 89
Original post by Hopple
Are you seriously saying someone should be sent to prison based on someone's (biased) testimony alone (and have their own biased testimony in their favour, of course), or if there is a lack of evidence?

Edit: this to your post below too.

lol no not at all.
But there are problems such women (and men presumably) pulling out of court cases b/c they feel like they wont be believed.
Also not going to court in the first place b/c they cant deal with the emotional side of it and cant face seeing their attacker etc.
Stuff like this lets rapists just walk free.

Lots of things to influence it.
I would be interested to see how many women they have found that lied. Obviously it is a large problem but i stilll doubt its higher than the amount of people raped.
I knew someone who falsely accused a guy of rape. It went all the way to court and he was found not guilty because of the ridiculous number of times her story changed. Weirdly even though the Police had about 3 different versions of events from her and evidence that she was adding more lies to the whole thing the Police still pressed forward to convict him. The poor guy had to put up with 6 months of hell. He had his name splashed across the local papers when the accusation was first made and through the trial which pretty much ruined his life.

Funnily enough I cut contact with the person who made the accusation! She had the nerve to ask why and STILL acts as if she really was raped. People like the her and the woman in the article can ruin someone's life and so there should be much harsher punishments for them. They also make it worse for real victims of rape as they take away Police and support resources that are needed by the real victims.
Reply 91
lol no not at all.
But there are problems such women (and men presumably) pulling out of court cases b/c they feel like they wont be believed.
Also not going to court in the first place b/c they cant deal with the emotional side of it and cant face seeing their attacker etc.
Stuff like this lets rapists just walk free.

Lots of things to influence it.
I would be interested to see how many women they have found that lied. Obviously it is a large problem but i stilll doubt its higher than the amount of people raped.

Then why complain that not enough people are being convicted if you accept the reasons for it?

Victim support does need to be improved, and it likely does contribute to the low conviction rate (since false claims are less likely to be in need of support). This isn't some sort of plan by the government to single out rape victims though, victim support is pretty poor across the board.

There are three categories for rape, either we know there was a rape, we know there wasn't, or we can't know. A trial only decides if it was rape, there isn't an automatic trial to see if the woman lied, i.e. to distinguish between there not being a rape and it being indeterminable, so I don't think there can be any truly accurate figures.
lol so you are saying that 83% of people are lying? I think not

Someone being accused of rape does not make them a rapist. You are deliberately inventing statistics. You are working under the principle of assuming someone is guilty simply because they've been accused; that is a very unfair way of thinking.

And what about the 90% of rapes that dont even get reported?

We should try to encourage more people to report them, I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is, but if there are crimes occurring that aren't being reported, then that is obviously something to try to improve.
Reply 93
Two years is a slap in the face

She should be given 3 consecutive sentences for rape, so she can live the life she tried to force on others.
The thing that pisses me off is that even now, after she has been convicted, there are still people (not here, but in comments for the articles I have read on this case) who are trying to excuse what she did, or saying they feel sorry for her. Whereas a man who gets accused of rape has to put up with hell for months, and even after being cleared will have to deal with the toll the case will have taken on himself and his relationships.

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Someone being accused of rape does not make them a rapist. You are deliberately inventing statistics. You are working under the principle of assuming someone is guilty simply because they've been accused; that is a very unfair way of thinking.

This completely. You can't look at a report that says 10% of accusations result in a conviction and assume that the other 90% were rapists who got off scot free. Rape cases are complicated. Usually it is one person's word against another's, which makes it very difficult to convict someone.

That's nice conjecture and all but I see you've completely missed my point. False accusations do happen and it is a concerning problem. The FBI estimate that 8% of rape accusations are false. Of course this is for the United States, but I'd imagine the figure would be similar in the UK and shows that thousands of men are having their lives and reputations ruined for a crime they didn't commit.
And actually, it's more like 25% of rapes are reported (Not that that makes the situation acceptable or anything, simply that you're exaggerating).
Original post by Hopple
How do you get that 17 out of 18 figure? Is it convictions out of reported rapes?

Yeah, it was in an article that I read. I probably could find it if I had to, but it's somewhere on the internet. :smile:
Reply 97
Original post by TheBigGeek
Yeah, it was in an article that I read. I probably could find it if I had to, but it's somewhere on the internet. :smile:

You said 17 out of 18 rapists don't face any punishment. If it is out of reported rapes then why are you assuming they are guilty? Even if it is out of cases that make it to court, again you are assuming they're guilty. Why are you assuming that people are guilty of rape if they haven't been convicted?
Original post by Hopple
You said 17 out of 18 rapists don't face any punishment. If it is out of reported rapes then why are you assuming they are guilty? Even if it is out of cases that make it to court, again you are assuming they're guilty. Why are you assuming that people are guilty of rape if they haven't been convicted?

I don't think all accused rapists are guilty by any means, but I think if you look at the number of reported rapes compared to the number of convictions you see that - if you were to trust those figures - a tiny percentage of people would actually be rape victims and thousands upon thousands would be lying, a huge percentage of reported rapes.

It's just not plausible. Do you truly think that of every 18 reported rapes, 17 are lies?

I had to do a research project on rape and I was led to forum for survivors of sexual assault and abuse. There were so many people there who had spent years chronicling their recovery (physically, emotionally, mentally and sexually) from rape or abuse but barely any had ever received anything more than a quick taken statement and a "sorry we can't prosecute." It was awful to see. So many people and yet there was rarely any justice... It was terrible.

There are two sides to every story, but rape is a terrible thing and, to me, the idea that 17 out of 18 rape victims are lying is just ridiculous.
Original post by gateshipone
I knew someone who falsely accused a guy of rape. It went all the way to court and he was found not guilty because of the ridiculous number of times her story changed. Weirdly even though the Police had about 3 different versions of events from her and evidence that she was adding more lies to the whole thing the Police still pressed forward to convict him. The poor guy had to put up with 6 months of hell. He had his name splashed across the local papers when the accusation was first made and through the trial which pretty much ruined his life.

Funnily enough I cut contact with the person who made the accusation! She had the nerve to ask why and STILL acts as if she really was raped. People like the her and the woman in the article can ruin someone's life and so there should be much harsher punishments for them. They also make it worse for real victims of rape as they take away Police and support resources that are needed by the real victims.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know that she lied? Is it just because he was proven not guilty?

In the same way that not all accused people are rapists, not all victims whose perpetrators got "not guilty" are lying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending