The Student Room Group
I think so yes, it's probably the afterload that's causing the high BP. (i am not too sure)
Reply 2
darkenergy
I think so yes, it's probably the afterload that's causing the high BP. (i am not too sure)

cheers... i thought so
Reply 3
I would say there is no way of knowing from the information given :wink:
Reply 4
j00ni
I would say there is no way of knowing from the information given :wink:

That is all the info given...
Reply 5
Well if the high BP is due to hypervolemia then that will increase preload. If however it is due to vascular constriction it will increase afterload.

Though looking at the pulse, the tachycardia is likely to cause a decreased preload (compared to a slower pulse and same BP), due to decreased ventricular filling time.
Reply 6
j00ni
Well if the high BP is due to hypervolemia then that will increase preload. If however it is due to vascular constriction it will increase afterload.

Though looking at the pulse, the tachycardia is likely to cause a decreased preload (compared to a slower pulse and same BP), due to decreased ventricular filling time.

I think that it's due to vascular constriction - afterload would increase

Pulse is not that high though... and if anything the preload would be higher than normal because of the massively high blood pressure...
'normally' tachycardia would not alter the amount ventricular filling as atrial contraction can aid this process...

but preload can be elevated if the effects of tachycardia don't allow enough filling time; but then the starling mechanism will ensure that the left over volume will be pumped out in the next contraction cycle
Reply 8
darkenergy
'normally' tachycardia would not alter the amount ventricular filling as atrial contraction can aid this process...

but preload can be elevated if the effects of tachycardia don't allow enough filling time; but then the starling mechanism will ensure that the left over volume will be pumped out in the next contraction cycle

i see the point that the pulse won't have an effect... though if what you are saying about decreased time for contraction then preload would decrease not increase.

remember that preload is the passive tension in the myocardium at the end of diastole... if the diastole is shorter then preload is decreased...
Reply 9
Increased pulse rate will affect preload, because it is largely determined by the rate of delivery by the pulmonary vessels to the LV, and only a fractionally small amount is delivered during atrial contraction.
Reply 10
j00ni
Increased pulse rate will affect preload, because it is largely determined by the rate of delivery by the pulmonary vessels to the LV, and only a fractionally small amount is delivered during atrial contraction.

lol, you two are confusing me more... this was only meant to be a yes / no question... :wink:
I don't know, it could be; it depends on other factors..... medicine doesn't give definite answers.
Reply 12
Revenged
lol, you two are confusing me more... this was only meant to be a yes / no question... :wink:

Sorry mate :p:

As said earlier the answer is probably yes, as they are probably aiming at it being the afterload that will be markedly increased.

Just that there is no way of determining preload from the given info
Reply 13
j00ni
Sorry mate :p:

As said earlier the answer is probably yes, as they are probably aiming at it being the afterload that will be markedly increased.

Just that there is no way of determining preload from the given info

thanks anywayz!

Latest