The Student Room Group

So worried about getting sacked from Big 4..please help

Hello

I have just started an Audit ACA 3 year contract with a Big 4 firm in London..I am worried because now I've actually started the job reality has hit home and I'm worried about failing the first 3 exams and getting sacked.

Because I've moved down to London I've taken out a 6-month rental contract on a flat, which in total would cost £2, 120 at the end of my lease. If I fail the exams at the beginning of November and get sacked, Ive heard I'll have to pay back the training costs to the firm. On top of this I'd also have to pay my full rental contract as there's no way out of it and the property agent is a b****. So all together my debts would be collossal, plus how would I get another job??

What to do if this happens? How difficult are these exams? I did a pre-medical degree and didn't go onto Medicine because I found the medical modules too difficult and could only competently do the Biology parts.. do you think the ACA is on the same par as some medical modules?? (e.g. Neuroscience, Anatomy of the Head & Neck, clinical microbiology etc.) How much would i have to pay back to the firm if I fail these first 3 exams? And is it likely that I can get another job, considering this would be my 3rd full-time job I'd be leaving since graduating in 2010? (I worked in advertising and hating it, in a call centre and loved it but left to join Big 4, and now work for Big 4 but may be sacked)

please help
Reply 1
Original post by Alexiel
Hello

I have just started an Audit ACA 3 year contract with a Big 4 firm in London..I am worried because now I've actually started the job reality has hit home and I'm worried about failing the first 3 exams and getting sacked.

Because I've moved down to London I've taken out a 6-month rental contract on a flat, which in total would cost £2, 120 at the end of my lease. If I fail the exams at the beginning of November and get sacked, Ive heard I'll have to pay back the training costs to the firm. On top of this I'd also have to pay my full rental contract as there's no way out of it and the property agent is a b****. So all together my debts would be collossal, plus how would I get another job??

What to do if this happens? How difficult are these exams? I did a pre-medical degree and didn't go onto Medicine because I found the medical modules too difficult and could only competently do the Biology parts.. do you think the ACA is on the same par as some medical modules?? (e.g. Neuroscience, Anatomy of the Head & Neck, clinical microbiology etc.) How much would i have to pay back to the firm if I fail these first 3 exams? And is it likely that I can get another job, considering this would be my 3rd full-time job I'd be leaving since graduating in 2010? (I worked in advertising and hating it, in a call centre and loved it but left to join Big 4, and now work for Big 4 but may be sacked)

please help

If you're the kind of person that doesn't believe in their selves then you won't succeed at the big four even if you do pass your ACA's. You're shooting yourself down before you've started, you need to chin up and realise that you're going to succeed because working for a big four company is what you make of it.
Reply 2
You seem to be someone who wants to choose careers that pay the best but not work hard enough for it. I'm afraid no such careers exist. I wouldn't like to be treated by you if you were a doctor and certainly wouldn't like you to do my tax returns either. Stop wasting time and start studying. At least you know what consequences will it bring if you fail so stop messing about and get down to it. Plenty of time until November if you use it wisely.
Reply 3
Chill out, if you start revising instead of worrying you'll be fine. Also you wont be sacked on your first fail.
Reply 4
You can't do anything more than to just try your best. It's a waste of energy to already be thinking about failing.

One good piece of advice is don't waste time on making your own notes. Just focus on doing practice questions and going through illustrative examples. Try and get through the whole question bank. Ask a trusted colleague if you really get stuck.
Reply 5
Original post by Edo123
You seem to be someone who wants to choose careers that pay the best but not work hard enough for it. I'm afraid no such careers exist. I wouldn't like to be treated by you if you were a doctor and certainly wouldn't like you to do my tax returns either. Stop wasting time and start studying. At least you know what consequences will it bring if you fail so stop messing about and get down to it. Plenty of time until November if you use it wisely.

I know you probs mean well, but this is quite rude. I wouldnt like to meet you in real life either
Reply 6
Original post by S
You can't do anything more than to just try your best. It's a waste of energy to already be thinking about failing.

One good piece of advice is don't waste time on making your own notes. Just focus on doing practice questions and going through illustrative examples. Try and get through the whole question bank. Ask a trusted colleague if you really get stuck.

Thanks very much I will remember this advice. This is the most useful post so far.
Reply 7
Everyone is stressed to some extent.

Hardly anyone fails TC. Stop worrying and put in the 3 - 4 hours a night they ask of you and you WILL pass.

TPS is another story though... :-P
Original post by Alexiel
I know you probs mean well, but this is quite rude. I wouldnt like to meet you in real life either

You found that rude? He was just being truthful and trying to give you a kick up the backside. Just encouraging you in a tough way.

If you can't handle the slight criticisms he gave I don't know how you can work in the corporate world.

Now to make it clear, i'm not trying to be mean to you or anything. You just need to stop worrying about what could happen and make sure you do everything you can so that doesn't happen and so you pass your exams. Give a bit more credit to yourself and be confident - you've done pretty darn well getting into the Big 4 in the first place!
Reply 9
I doubt the exams are as hard, but funnily enough I've never done a neuroscience exam! The first level exams are merely a question of putting in enough hours to get through them and keep practicing. Do that and you'll be fine.

If you fail your exams and genuinely put an effort into passing them then you won't be made to repay your college fees. That only occurs for people that decide to leave the firm because they don't like it.
Reply 10
Original post by Alexiel
Hello

please help

i think it is on a par with Anatomy of the Head & Neck, but slightly more difficult than clinical microbiology.
Reply 11
also man up, you sound pathetic.
Reply 12
Original post by 86501

If you fail your exams and genuinely put an effort into passing them then you won't be made to repay your college fees. That only occurs for people that decide to leave the firm because they don't like it.

How do you know this? If this is true, then this is a a good news for the OP.
Reply 13
Errrm.... Then revise your tits off?

The way I see it, your whole life could become extremely difficult if you don't pass these exams, so just ****ing pass them! Work harder than you've ever worked, long days, accountancy on the brain constantly and you will be fine.
Reply 14
Original post by Alexiel
Hello

please help

It is a random fear that you and 500 or so people in London will be feeling right now. The ACA feels very daunting once you actually start your job and realize what you have let yourself in for. However the pass rates for the ACA are very high and it is very doable.

The golden rule with any ACA exam is just question practice. I assume November will be your first three CBA's (Audit, Accounting and Tax) Just smash the question bank again and again. If your running short of time just do the last 10 or so questions of each chapter as these will be the exam standard ones. Ignore the the Kaplan online tests they are a waste of time.

The written exams are not so much different in that passing is all about question practice and exam technique. A micro example being that in the Financial Accounting written paper you are taught not to add up any balance sheets you produce but to simple put to random numbers in each half to show it should balance and get the presentation mark as there are no marks for adding u p assets et al.

Bottom line, there are lots of people in your shoes, just put the work in and you will be fine.
Reply 15
Original post by kka25
How do you know this? If this is true, then this is a a good news for the OP.

A few people have left my department having failed exams, none of them paid back any college fees.
Reply 16
Original post by 86501
A few people have left my department having failed exams, none of them paid back any college fees.

I see. Thanks.

Did they leave because of failed exams?
Reply 17
Original post by kka25
I see. Thanks.

Did they leave because of failed exams?

Yes
Reply 18
I don't know which firm you're at, but at KPMG the pass rates for TC are 90%+, (I know this for certain because they are published on an official notice board indicating past results) and around 98-99% for Financial Accounting, I'd imagine the other Big Four firms are similar, partly due to them recruiting candidates that achieved well at school, but also because their teaching resources are very good. Also I don't know whether you get mock exams but these are also a good inidicator of how you will do in the exam and where you need to improve if not doing well enough.

Also the exams (the TC ones anyway) aren't too bad at all and the mark scheme is quite generous for Financial Accounting in particular (where I think it's the easiest exam to mess up) - most of us came out of the exam thinking we only just scraped a pass, if that, but myself and many of my other colleagues got well over the 50% pass mark and were pleasantly surprised - mainly because if you show workings and understanding, you will still get the majority of the marks even if you mess up the numbers. Basically, if you work consistently with the incorrect numbers, you still get marks, so you don't have to worry too much about messing up the number sections. As for the more wordy exams like law, good old practice and revision is all that's needed, and for the TC, they don't require you to think outside the box too much, it's mainly showing understanding and demonstration of knowledge. In particular with law, you don't always have to come to a conclusion about a case, you can write down all the possible conclusions based on several interpretations and as long as you show understanding of the law, you get the marks, so you don't have to worry as much about getting the 'right' conclusion.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending