The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
and also OP. try to listen to smokers who tell you its not that bad, not always addicted etc. They are usually masking their own shame or being deluded. try not to sorry
Reply 21
As a smoker, I'd advise you quit while you're ahead. I smoke around 10 a day, and like you my 'habit' started at the occasional ciggy after school, then it became one before and one after school and then it just became pretty much whenever I was outside. You might not think you're addicted, but try quit for a week and see how hard it is... well, it should be easy for you since you don't smoke that many. Seriously, you'll save so much money.
And if you still want to smoke, like me, I would advise smoking rollups, they have less additives in them and are A LOT cheaper.
A 50g of Golden Virginia will provide about 100 cigarettes (decent sized, none of the skimpy cigs I see my friends rolling) and along with 1 pack of Swan Filters and 2 packs of Rizla of your choice will come to around £15-16; that same amount would buy you 40 prerolled Marlboros (I can get it cheaper :wink: but this is a forum and I won't say how). Rollups are also good for monitoring your smoking because I find when I'm smoking prerolled I can get through a 20 pack or more a day, whereas rollups keep me down to 10 at my worst (usually around 5-7)
Reply 22
Original post by Azzura
I'm a med student

Have you even started yet? :wink::tongue:

OP, I think the question you should be asking yourself is WHY you want to start smoking. There must be some reason why you want to do it, and I think it's a safe bet that if and when you did start, 3/4 a day would soon escalate to more.
Original post by alapa
the OP isnt a regular smoker with a history of it! so whats the point trying 2/3 a day on the off chance they will join a minority who dont get addicted?

The OP didn't ask whether he/she should start smoking, but that's all the replies they got. It's so annoying that every thread gets hijacked by anti-smokers saying "DON'T START SMOKING! IT WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE!!!!". They asked for advice on smoking, they didn't need a lecture.
Reply 24
Original post by ArtGoblin
The OP didn't ask whether he/she should start smoking, but that's all the replies they got. It's so annoying that every thread gets hijacked by anti-smokers saying "DON'T START SMOKING! IT WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE!!!!". They asked for advice on smoking, they didn't need a lecture.

Lectures my be annoying but they could save the OPs life in the long run.
I can only say is cigarette smoking is injurious to health.
Reply 26
Occasional social smoking probably won't do you much, or any harm.

But just something to take into consideration...

You know those people who smoke 30-40 fags a day? They didn't start off by saying "I'll have 30 cigarettes a day, that should be fine", they started off by saying "I'll just have 1/2/3 a day, what harm will it do me?'

If a toddler asked me what brand of semi-automatic would be best for cappin' some foos', I'm afraid to say I would digress.
(edited 11 years ago)
Has anyone seen the episode of the show 'Bull****' where they revealed that there is no evidence that passive smoking is harmful to others?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST25i
Wouldn't it be easier and a little cheaper/healthier to find an alternative method?
Even chocolate would be a safer option!

Things I hate about smoking:

1 - It stinks
2 - It only calms your nerves because you cause your body to think about it needing it!

IF you can just stop, STOP NOW.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
If a toddler asked me what brand of semi-automatic would be best for cappin' some foos', I'm afraid to say I would digress.

Awful analogy. First, a child is not old enough to make their own decisions, unlike people legally able to buy cigarettes. Secondly, smoking doesn't harm anyone but the smoker so the choice only concerns them.
Awful analogy. First, a child is not old enough to make their own decisions, unlike people legally able to buy cigarettes. Secondly, smoking doesn't harm anyone but the smoker so the choice only concerns them.

lol :P
Reply 32
ITT: Pretentious Holier-than-thou mollycoddlers
Reply 33
I'm not one who shoots people down fot doing what they want. So here's my two cents.

You're going for the nicotine rush, which you'll find has next to no effect of causing cancer. It's just insanely addictive and feels awesome at first, though this dies down quickly. The cancer and health problems from smotking happens as a result of the other few thousand or so extra chemicals, especially tar in particular. Go for electronic cigarettes instead. You get your nicotine rush, and it looks exactly the same as smoking. It's doesn't leave your smelling at all, and it's FUN! You can get some awesome flavours and it's a great conversation starter. Best of all, you can smoke these anywhere. Try it, and if it doesn't work out, try to drop smoking in general. On a serious note, always remember that some of those dying of cancer started off quite like you: social smokers, handful of ciggies a week. Oh yeah, and they all 'promised themselves not to become on of those mad addicts'. Good luck and stay strong!
Reply 34
Enjoy your:

Increased chance of cancer (23x or 13x if your a woman)
2 - 4 times increased risk of coronary heart disease
2 - 4 times increased risk of stroke
Increased aging
Increased infertility
Increased chance of still birth
Shorter life span.

Some more facts for you:

Smoking causes an estimated 90% of all lung cancer deaths in men and 80% of all lung cancer deaths in women.
More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.
Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body. Smoking causes many diseases and reduces the health of smokers in general.

Congrats on your 'great' life choice.
Just read you are a "social" smoker, find something social but a bit less deadly.

like you say you only smoke 1 or 2 every couple of months.
Maybe drink 1 or 2 pints of beer every month or so going out with mates? A bit more healthy than smoking because your body has evolved to deal with a small amount of alcohol whereas it has not evolved to deal with smoking.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah

Smoking addiction never leaves you. Ever. If you smoke 2/3 a day for 3 years, you're going to do it for the rest of your life. The addiction isn't 'conquerable', people who stop smoking still crave them, they just suppress it.

This is so true. I smoked about 10 a day from when I was 16-19 (10 a day isn't even heavy), I quit for 2 years after that and even after 2 years of being smoke free, when I saw people walking down the street, smoking a cigarette and looking so content, I was jealous. I wanted that. I wanted the freedom to be able to smoke a cigarette too, I wanted to be doing that. I envied them. I've since started smoking again, and of course it started with just wanting a few drags from friends and developed to buying my own packs. I'm planning to quit again but I know that the will and want to smoke, will always be there.
ANY amount of cigarettes is bad for you.

Stop before you start
Reply 38
You smoke because you think it makes you cool? hahahahahaha. You're an idiot.

I hope you start smoking 20 a day so you can keep contributing towards the NHS by paying for fags. Please, go and buy hundreds!
Reply 39
Original post by Anonymous
Hello:smile: Anon because I don't want anyone to find out I've stared smoking.

I have recently started smoking cigarettes, about 2/3 a day. I was just wondering whether this many cigarettes can have a detrimental affect on my health if I only smoke whilst at university (for the next three years.) I would probably only smoke four or five days a week.

Also I have heard of a cigarette brand called American Spirit that is supposed to be additive free, I know all cigs are bad however, are these 'healthier' than those big brands which do have additives?

Finally what's the cheapest but decent quality 20 pack cigarettes in the UK?

The "healthiest" alternatives are electric cigarettes. They come in a wide variety of flavours (cappuccino is disgusting, but mint is quite nice - don't get alcohol flavoured, they are absolutely rank) I'm telling you this now for when you start to go onto 20 fags a day. E-cig's are also a lot cheaper in the long run. The container thing is only about £15 from the right place, and the liquids are around £6 quid for 15ml, which lasts longer than about 50 normal fags.

As for the cheapest cigarettes - your looking at Pall Mall and Stirling. Pall Mall is cheapest because they sell them in packs of 19, rather than 20 but are better quality than Stirling. "Rothmans" (I think it's called that) are the cheapest around, but are also the lowest quality ones. Nothing beats good ole mayfair though - but I prefer Pall Mall tobacco since it's cheaper in the long run. (I sound like an addict here, but I only occasionally smoke :tongue:)

Latest