The Student Room Group

Summer jobs for language students?

The most obvious one is Disneyland, but I've heard bad things about them.

What sort of things could I do during the summer?

PS. Either in Spain or French-speaking Europe (France, Switzerland, Belgium)

Thanks!
Original post by Gales
The most obvious one is Disneyland, but I've heard bad things about them.

What sort of things could I do during the summer?

PS. Either in Spain or French-speaking Europe (France, Switzerland, Belgium)

Thanks!

The book 'Intern nation' has the opening chapter on the awful experiences people have had at disneyland intern programme. So save your money and avoid.

Working in an airport may give you some experience or even hotels etc... Anywhere which gets a lot of tourists. Other wise looking at travelling or internships in the EU might be a good idea.
Reply 2
Any ideas? :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by Gales
Any ideas? :tongue:

Work in an airport.
Work in a hotel/hostel. Or if you wanna go all out immersion in the language, find a bar/restaurant in a non-touristy area of a city in your chosen country, and work there.
Reply 5
I've interned at a translation company in Paris and a research and advisory firm in Berlin. There are lots of opportunities out there and sectors you can go into (which you don't necessarily need contacts for, btw), just think about what you'd like to do and then do some research. Monster is a great place to find companies offering internships.
Reply 6
Thanks guys! Looking on Monster now :smile:
Reply 7
guys would you recommend just emailing hotels inquiring?
Reply 8
Original post by Gales
guys would you recommend just emailing hotels inquiring?

Yeah, defo, be proactive! You have nothing to lose (apart from phone credit I guess) by calling.

Hotels and hostels in France often advertise on FUSAC by the way, if you haven't looked there already.
Reply 9
Original post by xmarilynx
Yeah, defo, be proactive! You have nothing to lose (apart from phone credit I guess) by calling.

Hotels and hostels in France often advertise on FUSAC by the way, if you haven't looked there already.

Do you think it's a bit early though? :colondollar:
Original post by Gales
Do you think it's a bit early though? :colondollar:

:rofl:

Yes.

French people don't really understand the concept of planning ahead to be honest, more like se démerder afterwards.
Reply 11
Original post by xmarilynx
:rofl:

Yes.

French people don't really understand the concept of planning ahead to be honest, more like se démerder afterwards.

Well I'm mainly going for Spain, but I'll start emailing around February. :smile:
Reply 12
Eurocamp/Keycamp are popular ones after first year I noticed, people seemed to enjoy them though you don't earn much you do essentially stay out there free for the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending