The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Is the UOTC/OTC worth joining if you're a girl?

I'm about to go into my second year at Bath uni and was thinking of joining the UOTC (university officers training course) but wondering what it was like for girls? I am not fantastically fit but by no means unfit, I want something to fill weekends and also to get paid, to increase fitness and leadership but I'm wondering if it's really torture for girls? Is it quite easygoing or as strict as the army? My boyfriend is in the Royal Marines which is obviously very intense so military things from his experiences intimidate me a lot! What do you think?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Bump

Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Is this some sort of troll thread? I can't say whether you'd like it, but there are plenty of girls who can cope with that. I hear we're even allowed in the army these days... :eek3:

Spoiler

Reply 3
OP why not go along to see what it's like? There's going to be military discipline and everything else that is involved, but it's going to be nowhere as intense as what your fella has had to go through to get his green lid.
Original post by Arielle
I'm about to go into my second year at Bath uni and was thinking of joining the UOTC (university officers training course) but wondering what it was like for girls? I am not fantastically fit but by no means unfit, I want something to fill weekends and also to get paid, to increase fitness and leadership but I'm wondering if it's really torture for girls? Is it quite easygoing or as strict as the army? My boyfriend is in the Royal Marines which is obviously very intense so military things from his experiences intimidate me a lot! What do you think?

plenty of girls,especially in bristol one, i dont thinky they pay first years though

its pretty strict, ie you have to wake up every 3 hours at night and stand guard for one our(suicide squirells!)

its not that great tbh, air corps is much much better, so is royal navy, because i fkin hated the woods
Reply 5
Thought I'd bump this thread to find out more about the UOTC as a female. Anyone thinking of joining/in the Birmingham UOTC? Any good?
Did you ever join in the end??

Quick Reply

Latest