The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by nimby77
That's definitely not a bad laptop, it has both an ssd for a fast boot up and a hdd for storage.
The only problem I see is the 4gb ram, which might not even be a problem depending on your usage habits. If you generally have many programs and tabs open at once though, you may be best off with 6gb.

I've never had a 6GB RAM and I've always managed just fine so I think I'll be alright wit the 4GB. Looks like the Asus could be a good buy then - although I don't really know much about Asus as a brand. The Toshiba Satellite is nice but my latest laptop was a Toshiba Satellite and I fancy a change!
Reply 41
Original post by Rascacielos
I've never had a 6GB RAM and I've always managed just fine so I think I'll be alright wit the 4GB. Looks like the Asus could be a good buy then - although I don't really know much about Asus as a brand. The Toshiba Satellite is nice but my latest laptop was a Toshiba Satellite and I fancy a change!

Being the proud owner of an Asus laptop I can tell you that it came loaded with so much useless crapware that I nearly cried when I first received it. After an hour or so spent uninstalling it though, it has served me well since. (although this was about 2 years ago, so they might have stopped shipping their laptops with so much rubbish)

If the ram's not a problem, you should start to consider your hard drive. You've got two choices:
Asus: Fast boot up, but that's about it (assuming the ssd's only used for the OS). On the bright side you have a decent sized HDD so won't have to worry about running out of space.
Toshiba: Fast boot up, and fast file/picture copying, and slightly faster everyday operations, but you only have 128gb space.

What size hard drive does your current laptop have? Have you used it all up?
Reply 42
I know, and all that is why it's important to me to buy from a decent shop like JL and not PC World where it's more effort to use your guarantee successfully than it would be to work for a month and buy a new laptop. I've had a laptop from PC World, it went wrong, I suffered. Now I'm happy to spend a bit more for good customer service... but I do want a good laptop as well.

However, I am intrigued to know why the Samsung is the price it is if you, and others, are so adamant that it's overpriced. Surely people wouldn't buy it (and JL wouldn't sell it) if it didn't have some features to make it worth the money?

I have no clue why it's so expensive. I can't see anything in the spec sheet that makes me think "Yes, that makes it worth £1100". It has a piss poor processor, a tiny SSD drive, no graphics card, and only 2 USB ports. It's over priced because you could have a really solid laptop for that price that could provide you with many years of fault free service BUT be far more powerful and generally a better spec.

I don't know why JL and Samsung price it at that. Probably some idiot in their marketing department thought "Yes, this is worth £1100!" but didn't actually pass it by their boss. If I was the head of Marketing at Samsung I would laugh at him for all eternity. Then fire him. :biggrin:

As for Asus, they're a good brand. I'm typing this message on an Asus, as a matter of fact :biggrin:. My only gripe is that there is no DVD drive but that's because it's a netbook, and no netbook has a DVD drive.

Original post by nimby77
Being the proud owner of an Asus laptop I can tell you that it came loaded with so much useless crapware that I nearly cried when I first received it. After an hour or so spent uninstalling it though, it has served me well since. (although this was about 2 years ago, so they might have stopped shipping their laptops with so much rubbish)

I got an Asus 12 months ago and it still came with all the bloatware. First thing I did was plug it in to the wall. Second thing I did was plug in my USB stick with Windows on it, change the BIOS to boot from it, and format it. Dell is bad for that as well. The only downside is you need to have a disc image of Windows 7 to copy to a memory stick through Microsoft's USB stick creator.

I do it with all my new PC/laptop buys now. It's just nice knowing there's no crap slowing it down somewhere.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by sabian92
I have no clue why it's so expensive. I can't see anything in the spec sheet that makes me think "Yes, that makes it worth £1100". It has a piss poor processor, a tiny SSD drive, no graphics card, and only 2 USB ports. It's over priced because you could have a really solid laptop for that price that could provide you with many years of fault free service BUT be far more powerful and generally a better spec.

I don't know why JL and Samsung price it at that. Probably some idiot in their marketing department thought "Yes, this is worth £1100!" but didn't actually pass it by their boss. If I was the head of Marketing at Samsung I would laugh at him for all eternity.

As for Asus, they're a good brand. I'm typing this message on an Asus, as a matter of fact :biggrin:.

I got an Asus 12 months ago and it still came with all the bloatware. First thing I did was plug it in to the wall. Second thing I did was plug in my USB stick with Windows on it, change the BIOS to boot from it, and format it. Dell is bad for that as well.

I do it with all my new PC/laptop buys now. It's just nice knowing there's no crap slowing it down somewhere.

Come to think of it, I can't think of a manufacturer that hasn't preloaded my desktop/laptop with useless junk.
One of the many reasons I decided to build my newest rig myself
Reply 44
What do you all think about an Intel Core i5 processor, bearing in mind I want this laptop for 3 years?
Reply 45
What do you all think about an Intel Core i5 processor, bearing in mind I want this laptop for 3 years?

Any processor will be outdated after 3 years, although an i5 will still be alright to use as long as you don't start gaming/video editing/etc.

You've got to be careful though, as you'd be better off with an ivybridge (newer) i5 processor than a sandybridge (older) one.

The i5s have something called "turboboost" technology, which essentially overclocks (makes them faster) on demand. This means that even if in the future you run a more demanding application, the processor will still be able to handle it (until it overheats :s-smilie:)

The Asus and the Toshiba you were talking about were both ivybridge, whilst the samsung was sandybridge
Reply 46
That bad boy has a solid state drive
SSD drives are expensive and you can expect a lot less memory for what you'd with a regular hdd drive for the same price, but they're a lot faster, a lot more durable, results in a longer battery life, and makes close to no noise, oh and they're lighter.

Basically SSD's are the future, but for the time being they will be a little pricey.....

there are a tonne of comparisons online, check them out, there are significant differences in performance....
(edited 11 years ago)
can't be too expensive, 4gb and 128gb hdd are pretty weak for today's standards. need 6gb ram really tbh
Reply 48
Original post by Minotauro
That bad boy has a solid state drive
SSD drives are expensive and you can expect a lot less memory for what you'd with a regular hdd drive for the same price, but they're a lot faster, a lot more durable, results in a longer battery life, and makes close to no noise, oh and they're lighter.

Basically SSD's are the future, but for the time being they will be a little pricey.....

there are a tonne of comparisons online, check them out, there are significant differences in performance....

Interesting. I suppose manufacturers must be working on SSD's with a bigger memory if they are going to overtake HDD drives entirely...
Reply 49
Original post by nimby77
Any processor will be outdated after 3 years, although an i5 will still be alright to use as long as you don't start gaming/video editing/etc.

You've got to be careful though, as you'd be better off with an ivybridge (newer) i5 processor than a sandybridge (older) one.

The i5s have something called "turboboost" technology, which essentially overclocks (makes them faster) on demand. This means that even if in the future you run a more demanding application, the processor will still be able to handle it (until it overheats :s-smilie:)

The Asus and the Toshiba you were talking about were both ivybridge, whilst the samsung was sandybridge

Thanks. I went for the Asus in the end :biggrin:
Reply 50
Thanks. I went for the Asus in the end :biggrin:

Good call.
Enjoy :wink:
Reply 51
I'm looking at buying the Samsung NP900X3C - I know it's expensive, don't judge me.

I really know very little about computers - memory in particular - but I know enough to notice that the memory on this laptop seems quite small, seeing as there are other laptops half the price with over twice as much memory. Since I will be using this laptop for at least the next 3 years (it has a 3 year warranty) and I use it for a good 8 hours every day at university, I want to check that I'm not going to run out of memory.

The specifications in terms of memory are as follows:
Hard drive - 128 GB (solid state)
RAM - 4GB.

I mostly save documents and photos on my laptop. I watch a lot of videos online but I rarely download them - I presume just watching doesn't take up my memory. The documents are normally pretty large - I'm studying for a law degree! And I upload an average of 30 photos each month.

For this purpose, do you think that the memory will be enough?

It has an SSD, they are quick anyway, let alone having enough memory. My only concern is do you really need the SSD? Do you want ridicously fast loading times and such? As most people who use them have them for gaming improvements. 128GB is also getting a bit small for your only HHD, if you do go for it, you may want to invest in a external for storing things on that arn't that useful.

Memory wise, you'll be fine with 4GB, especially with the SSD.
You can get a 1tb+ external HDD fairly cheap; get one to use for backups and for data that you don't use often but want to keep, then 128gb will be ample.
Reply 53
I ended up returning the Asus - I didn't like the clunky keyboard. I am now typing from my Samsung Series 9 laptop which cost me a huge amount of money but I love it and, sorry to disappoint, I don't really care if the rest of TSR thinks it's a waste of money because to me, it isn't.
Reply 54
I ended up returning the Asus - I didn't like the clunky keyboard. I am now typing from my Samsung Series 9 laptop which cost me a huge amount of money but I love it and, sorry to disappoint, I don't really care if the rest of TSR thinks it's a waste of money because to me, it isn't.

Just hope you bought it at a good price
Reply 55

Sad to hear. If you needed something light and thin, why not get a netbook for uni, and a proper laptop to keep at home/halls. Both of those together would have cost you half the Samsung.
Reply 56
128 SSDs are great for their speed, but the capcity isn't a lot. I have about 5 times as much and just about getting by. It just depends on your "storage habits". You'll be fine if you use Cloud hosting for example like Drop Box all the time. I like having everything on my HDD. Each user is different.
Reply 57
the 128GB SSD is probably why that laptop seems overpriced. Newer SSDs are much cheaper: You can get a 256GB Kingston V200 for 99.99 now and its about five times quicker than a normal 7200rpm (so you computer starts up in 10-20 seconds as opposed to one or two minutes). Just find a computer literate friend to swap them and reinstall windows.
Original post by TheEssence
i hate apple, but a macbook pro would be a better investment imo

For watching videos online and saving documents/photos...? :colonhash:
Reply 59
Original post by swelshie
the 128GB SSD is probably why that laptop seems overpriced. Newer SSDs are much cheaper: You can get a 256GB Kingston V200 for 99.99 now and its about five times quicker than a normal 7200rpm (so you computer starts up in 10-20 seconds as opposed to one or two minutes). Just find a computer literate friend to swap them and reinstall windows.

This laptop does start off in 10-20 seconds. It also comes back from sleep in 2 seconds, which I find pretty impressive even if no one else does!

Latest

Trending

Trending