The Student Room Group

Been offered a place on Msc course... what to do?

I recently applied to do a second undergraduate degree in Computer Science. It's the degree I wished I'd done first time around and it covers a lot of issues that would either directly help me with my current job (web design) or would allow me to enhance my skill set and branch out into other areas, i.e. software development.

I had a call form the Admissions Office today and was told they'd offered me an alternative course of Msc Computing and Information Systems.

Essentially, it's a conversion course as my previous degree was in an unrelated subject (Management), and it doesn't seem too technically demanding. It assumes no knowledge of computing, and aside from two, maybe three modules, doesn't really cover anything relevant with respect to what I want to learn about.

The thing is, I'd be studying part-time and 6 years to complete the Bsc is a bit jaw dropping... It makes going straight to an Msc pretty appealing. But I can't help feeling it's a bit of a joke degree...

Has anyone done this course? Is it as simplistic as I seem to think?

Not sure if I can post links, but this specific course is:
http://courses.glam.ac.uk/courses/251-msc-computing-and-information-systems

Thanks,

Tom
Reply 1
Original post by TomSeldon
I recently applied to do a second undergraduate degree in Computer Science. It's the degree I wished I'd done first time around and it covers a lot of issues that would either directly help me with my current job (web design) or would allow me to enhance my skill set and branch out into other areas, i.e. software development.

I had a call form the Admissions Office today and was told they'd offered me an alternative course of Msc Computing and Information Systems.

Essentially, it's a conversion course as my previous degree was in an unrelated subject (Management), and it doesn't seem too technically demanding. It assumes no knowledge of computing, and aside from two, maybe three modules, doesn't really cover anything relevant with respect to what I want to learn about.

The thing is, I'd be studying part-time and 6 years to complete the Bsc is a bit jaw dropping... It makes going straight to an Msc pretty appealing. But I can't help feeling it's a bit of a joke degree...

Has anyone done this course? Is it as simplistic as I seem to think?

Not sure if I can post links, but this specific course is:
http://courses.glam.ac.uk/courses/251-msc-computing-and-information-systems

Thanks,

Tom

I just had a look at the list of modules on the course and judging by their names they're a bit too simplistic.
There's plenty of good conversion MSc's out there though, proper ones I mean.

I know it's a bit of a stretch if you live and work near Glamorgan University, but couldn't you try and apply for a conversion course at Cardiff University?

Here's a course you could apply for at Cardiff Computing (MSc).

And before you ask, no I don't work for the University of Cardiff :biggrin:

If you have any more questions, just ask :smile:

Edit: when looking at a course in CS always make sure it's accredited by the BCS.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by lex25288
I just had a look at the list of modules on the course and judging by their names they're a bit too simplistic. There's plenty of good conversion MSc's out there though, proper ones I mean. I know it's a bit of a stretch if you live and work near Glamorgan University, but couldn't you try and apply for a conversion course at Cardiff University? Here's a course you could apply for at Cardiff Computing (MSc).And before you ask, no I don't work for the University of Cardiff :biggrin:If you have any more questions, just ask :smile: Edit: when looking at a course in CS always make sure it's accredited by the BCS. Cheers Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, I actually found that very course a few hours after posting, and applied. :smile:Just found out today I've been accepted! ...Now just need to try and get funding in place...
Reply 3
Original post by TomSeldon
Thanks, I actually found that very course a few hours after posting, and applied. :smile:Just found out today I've been accepted! ...Now just need to try and get funding in place...

Congrats! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending