The Student Room Group

drama school or uni! NEED HELP

Hi Guys,
I need some advice if anyone can give it, up till now I had decided to apply to drama school (only two) and university just so even if I didn't get into drama school (which I know is a very high possibly) I would go to uni knowing that I tried and not wondering 'what if'.
I want to study theatre studies at uni because my overall aim is to become a drama teacher after trying my hand at acting for awhile.
However, I was going through the cost of travelling to the unis for workshops as well as drama school application fees and travel AND IT IS ALL TOO MUCH.
So now i'm wondering if i should just drop the idea of drama schools all together (apart from central as that's now a UCAS choice) and save myself about 150 pounds.
Or i was wondering about applying to less unis?
at the moment my choices are: central, birmingham, warwick, exeter and uea.

ALSO (sorry i have a lot of questions!) could anyone give me details about the Selly Oaks campus at birmingham as drama is centred there, and the drama course at UEA as it seems to have really dropped down the league table and any other peoples opinions of my uni choices?

Sorry for all the questions I'd be so grateful for people's advice!

Thanks! :smile:))
Original post by GraceHB
Hi Guys,
I need some advice if anyone can give it, up till now I had decided to apply to drama school (only two) and university just so even if I didn't get into drama school (which I know is a very high possibly) I would go to uni knowing that I tried and not wondering 'what if'.
I want to study theatre studies at uni because my overall aim is to become a drama teacher after trying my hand at acting for awhile.
However, I was going through the cost of travelling to the unis for workshops as well as drama school application fees and travel AND IT IS ALL TOO MUCH.
So now i'm wondering if i should just drop the idea of drama schools all together (apart from central as that's now a UCAS choice) and save myself about 150 pounds.
Or i was wondering about applying to less unis?
at the moment my choices are: central, birmingham, warwick, exeter and uea.

ALSO (sorry i have a lot of questions!) could anyone give me details about the Selly Oaks campus at birmingham as drama is centred there, and the drama course at UEA as it seems to have really dropped down the league table and any other peoples opinions of my uni choices?

Sorry for all the questions I'd be so grateful for people's advice!

Thanks! :smile:))

£150 represents a mere 0.3% of your expenditure in the next three years and if you don't visit when you have the chance, you could end up at a place you don't like.

I know a few people who went to Exeter and loved it - they have now left, but have remained in the city and formed their own theatre group.
Drama School will train you to work in the theatre as a performer.

University will take a more formally academic approach and teach it as a subject.

Both pathways are hard work. Which you take depends very much on what you want to do in life. If you want to be a teacher I would suggest you go to University and give the Drama School route a miss.
Original post by returnmigrant
Drama School will train you to work in the theatre as a performer.

University will take a more formally academic approach and teach it as a subject.

Both pathways are hard work. Which you take depends very much on what you want to do in life. If you want to be a teacher I would suggest you go to University and give the Drama School route a miss.

I agree - if teaching is in your sights stick with University, Drama School will be making you an actor NOT a teacher, and even if you later on decide to become a teacher you will then have to get a teachers qualification on top of your acting degree. If you're in it to give it a go for a couple of years (acting I mean) it's not worth it - you have to want it and nothing else.

Uni sounds best for your plans - good luck with it!

Quick Reply

Latest