The Student Room Group

Film Production 2013 - Help/Advice needed!

I need a bit of help deciding what to do as I've somehow made everything so hard for myself! I'll explain...

When I left school I made the decision to study Engineering at college (thought it was the right choice at the time as I had interest in the subject), but once I was into the second year of the course I had lost all interest and decided I didn't want to be an Engineer any more.
So when it came to everyone on my course applying for uni I made the hasty and rushed decision to apply for Architecture (very stupid of me), I rushed into the idea and thought of being an architect and didn't really do my research on just how much work and commitment is needed for the course. Anyway I ended up with one offer out of five but ended up rejecting it as I felt I wouldn't be able to cope with the architecture work load and stresses.
I ended up not getting the grades I would've needed for my architecture offer anyway, I ended up with MMM which is worse than I was predicted but what can you do.

So here I am, just started a gap year to sort my head out and re-apply making sure I make the right choices and do the right research this time.
Now I'm pretty certain this time round that I want to apply for Film Production. It's something I've always been interested in during school and college.
But my problem is, other than Media Studies at school (B grade) I don't have anything to show academically when it comes to applying. I only have an MMM BTEC grade for a subject completely unrelated.
I realise the only chance I have of getting into a BA Film Production course is by putting together a decent portfolio along with a personal statement.
But as I haven't had much academic experience in the subject, I won't have as much film work as someone who did a BTEC in Media Studies and produced short films or documentaries during their course.
I have my own DSLR camera and regularly use it for filming BMX videos. I know I could use some of my favourite BMX shots and some of my time lapses towards a portfolio but I know I'd need some other sort of videography work too. I have a few things in mind that I could produce before it comes to piecing together my portfolio, like some promotional videos for a stained glass artist and possibly some local nightclub events.

But my question is, do you think the portfolio I'll be able to put together will be enough to get me into a BA Film Production course? I know my MMM BTEC score won't meet the specifications of a lot of BA courses but the courses I've been looking at say they often accept people who don't meet the UCAS points if their portfolio is good and interview goes well.

So it it worth me trying to apply for BA Film Production courses in my situation, or would it be better to do a Foundation Diploma/Degree somewhere first to get some proper experience under my belt? (I know AUCB offer a one year Foundation Diploma in Media and once completed guaruntee's you an interview for their BA courses.)

Hope some of you can help me or give me some advice!
Also sorry for the essay but I felt it would be best if I fully explained my situation so people could understand haha
The most importants things are the PERSONAL STATEMENT and a PORTOFOLIO. I'm applying this year for a BA in film production. If you have those two interesting enough you are likely to be accepted.

In the portofolio you can add a short film no longer than 10 minutes, where you can show you skills, apptitudes for this universities.

In the personal statement you need to come up with something very interesting and i mean it. You need to catch the eye of the reader by starting very attractive. Be honest with your skills and show your motivation for the university show your small passion for the movies. Dont attempt to copy any PS from the internet because they will decrease your chances instead try to be your own, dont lie just BE YOUR OWN.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I hope it helped you , good luck.

Reply 3
Original post by Flueraru Denis
The most importants things are the PERSONAL STATEMENT and a PORTOFOLIO. I'm applying this year for a BA in film production. If you have those two interesting enough you are likely to be accepted.

In the portofolio you can add a short film no longer than 10 minutes, where you can show you skills, apptitudes for this universities.

In the personal statement you need to come up with something very interesting and i mean it. You need to catch the eye of the reader by starting very attractive. Be honest with your skills and show your motivation for the university show your small passion for the movies. Dont attempt to copy any PS from the internet because they will decrease your chances instead try to be your own, dont lie just BE YOUR OWN.

Thanks! I recently got some good inspiration for my portfolio from my neighbour who's worked as a freelance TV cameraman for many years, so I just need to get the ball rolling and start getting a portfolio together!

And yeah I need to start drafting some personal statements up soon as I realise how important that is!

I decided I may as well just aim high and apply for BA courses rather than Foundation, that way even if I do get rejected the chances are they'll offer me a place on their Foundation course anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending