The Student Room Group

University Rejection

So, basically I applied for biomedical science at Wolverhampton University but got rejected and in clearing I applied for a place in Bsc Genetics and Molecular Biology and still got rejected. The issue is that they want a total of 200 points with at least 180 in two Alevels. However, due to medical reason (I have chronic scoliosis with a twisted backbone and a deformed back) I was unable to attend my AS level retakes in Chemistry and Psychology ending up with a D and a C. Biology was an E...horrible grades but anyways so I had 180 points over three A levels. Now, I called them and asked whether they accept medical reasoning only to be told NO. They told me they completely disregard any medical excuse however serious and that they only look at the grades in front of them on UCAS. Now, obviously it wasn't my fault that I was bedridden for three days!!! really bad back so I don't know what to do now? Also, my chemistry tutor at college told me that the college would support my application so is it advisable to ask him to contact the uni or what? Really in a stitch and don't know what to do? Btw uni is opening on Monday so plz help. Thanks.:confused:
Reply 1
I'd do another year and resit. No uni worth going to will let you in with such low ucas points. If they've said no then I doubt they will change their mind at this late stage.
Do you really want to go to a university who treats students in this way? Perhaps consider applying to a different university - retaking the last A2 year and re-applying next year would be my advice.
Reply 3
The way they've spoken to you seems disgusting I'd just resit and work hard (like I had to I done a mock for PE due to having a major operation when the actual exam was to take place,only to find out my college forgot to send my exam off) if you resit you will probably do very good due to determination meaning you can go to the uni of your choice! Good luck anyway

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Original post by Janjua
So, basically I applied for biomedical science at Wolverhampton University but got rejected and in clearing I applied for a place in Bsc Genetics and Molecular Biology and still got rejected. The issue is that they want a total of 200 points with at least 180 in two Alevels. However, due to medical reason (I have chronic scoliosis with a twisted backbone and a deformed back) I was unable to attend my AS level retakes in Chemistry and Psychology ending up with a D and a C. Biology was an E...horrible grades but anyways so I had 180 points over three A levels. Now, I called them and asked whether they accept medical reasoning only to be told NO. They told me they completely disregard any medical excuse however serious and that they only look at the grades in front of them on UCAS. Now, obviously it wasn't my fault that I was bedridden for three days!!! really bad back so I don't know what to do now? Also, my chemistry tutor at college told me that the college would support my application so is it advisable to ask him to contact the uni or what? Really in a stitch and don't know what to do? Btw uni is opening on Monday so plz help. Thanks.:confused:

Sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Your original offer was with Wolverhampton. Was the clearing vacancy in Wolverhampton also? Do you know how you spoke to? Was it an admissions tutor?

I had a similar experience nine years ago. I fell short of my Durham offer by one grade. I had only just been diagnosed with epilepsy, so had uncontrolled seizures during my A-levels, as well as other medical issues (though these weren't diagnosed at this stage).

I phoned on results day to see if they'd still take me, given the effect my seizures had clearly had on my performance, and was informed that they don't take "mitigating circumstances" into account as they're so oversubscribed so they rejected me. This person was clearly some numpty admin person so I insisted I speak to the admissions tutor. Long story short I was eventually able to and the admissions tutor was symapthetic and agreed that, should I provide medical evidence, they will reconsider my application. I provided medical evidence and was allowed in.

So it may be worth contacting the admissions tutor, if you haven't already, and provide medical evidence or at least a letter from your college. However, time is running out I'm afraid.

If it was the admissions tutor you spoke to I'm not sure if providing medical evidence will do anything. You'd like to think that universities will be sympatetic, and many are, but they aren't obliged to accept you. An attitude like the one you've experienced suggets, and I stress suggests, they may not be the most sympathetic and supportive department. I don't actually have any personal experience of Wolverhampton.

If worst comes to the worst are you willing to re-sit this year and re-apply?

Quick Reply

Latest