Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good websites for cheap train fares?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    was just wondering what websites people use to pre-book train fares?

National Rail is a little bit steep, and in the past I've used East Midlands website. What others have you found that are good?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I normally just do it through National Rail to find the train times, and then the train company's website to book the tickets. I don't think there's anywhere that explicitly does cheap train tickets, but steer clear of the Trainline etc, as they charge a booking fee on top of your tickets.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ingenting)
    I normally just do it through National Rail to find the train times, and then the train company's website to book the tickets. I don't think there's anywhere that explicitly does cheap train tickets, but steer clear of the Trainline etc, as they charge a booking fee on top of your tickets.
    Thanks, it's a good job you told me that as I was just looking at them. I'll have a look at East Coast cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Every website lists the same prices (as far as I know)...beware of websites like the Trainline which charge a booking fee, so actually charge more despite what many people think. If you're looking to save more money there are other options
    (a) Buy a railcard if eligible
    (b) Buy off peak/advance tickets
    (c) Split your ticket (e.g. Travelling from Birmingham to Bristol, buy tickets from Bristol to Cheltenham Spa, and C.Spa to Birmingham rather than simply Bristol to B'ham). Make sure your train actually stops where you split the ticket though...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com/

Good if you're travelling a distance.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzzycloud)
    http://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com/

Good if you're travelling a distance.
    Shame it doesn't work on advance fares, but it's useful if travelling last minute. I can save about £6 on fares between London and Leeds by splitting.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ingenting)
    The booking fee is £1... :lolwut: hardly much!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skotch)
    Yes, but why pay more for the same thing if you can get it cheaper elsewhere?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Redspottedhanky is a pretty good site. I don't think there are any booking fees either
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    the trainline are good.. sod the booking fee, but in return you can get open returns cheaply and they are a lot cheaper than national rail/greater anglia etc.

some places are just dodgy so be careful
    also some charge to send the tickets, go and collect them
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Open off-peak returns are so cheap on Trainline.

I'd recommend RedSpottedHanky as well
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    Shame it doesn't work on advance fares, but it's useful if travelling last minute. I can save about £6 on fares between London and Leeds by splitting.
    Splitting on advances does work on some routes, I've used a combo of advances before.

(Original post by skotch)
    Why pay a quid more when you don't have to.

(Original post by littlemissmidget123)
    the trainline are good.. sod the booking fee, but in return you can get open returns cheaply and they are a lot cheaper than national rail/greater anglia etc.

some places are just dodgy so be careful
    also some charge to send the tickets, go and collect them
    Absolute garbage. Trainline's tickets are EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE as everywhere else. You cannot get tickets any cheaper from the Trainline, they all come out of the same pricing/reservation system. E.g. If National Rail quotes you say £11.90 advance Manchester to London, that will be the same whether you go on Virgin trains website, same on the Trainline (with the added booking fee it makes it more!) and the same on booking through Northern.

If you seriously give me any clear evidence the Trainline is cheaper (which you won't be able to) then I'll stop using trains for the rest of the year! :cool:

Open Returns aka Anytime Returns are the same price bought in advance as they are on the day. Only advances are cheaper when bought in advance as they are quota controlled and steadily get more expensive as the cheaper bracketed fares are sold out.

National Rail send you to another site to buy tickets, they do not sell them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If you have a railcard, and are using Transpennine services, use the student section on tpexpress.co.uk, insanely cheap, I get Savings of around £15
    Alternatively, use national rails cheap fare finder. I've travelled from Warrington to London for £7.90, saving about £60!

Biggest tip, BUY IN ADVANCE and be slightly flexible with your timings!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VickyTink)
    If you have a railcard, and are using Transpennine services, use the student section on tpexpress.co.uk, insanely cheap, I get Savings of around £15
    Alternatively, use national rails cheap fare finder. I've travelled from Warrington to London for £7.90, saving about £60!

Biggest tip, BUY IN ADVANCE and be slightly flexible with your timings!
    Cheap advances are golden. I travelled to London 1st Class for £13.20 with my railcard from my home station, its about 175 miles! Got back for £7.90 on a London to Manchester advance.

TPEs student offer is brilliant as well, used that a few times, I always enjoy travelling with TPE. The trains aren't the biggest, blame the DfT for that though but you don't feel claustrophobic like you would on Virgin's Pendolinos. Travelled with TPE to Edinburgh, Newcastle and Glasgow this year from Manchester, never a problem.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChapelTom)

Absolute garbage. Trainline's tickets are EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE as everywhere else. You cannot get tickets any cheaper from the Trainline, they all come out of the same pricing/reservation system. E.g. If National Rail quotes you say £11.90 advance Manchester to London, that will be the same whether you go on Virgin trains website, same on the Trainline (with the added booking fee it makes it more!) and the same on booking through Northern.

If you seriously give me any clear evidence the Trainline is cheaper (which you won't be able to) then I'll stop using trains for the rest of the year! :cool:

Open Returns aka Anytime Returns are the same price bought in advance as they are on the day. Only advances are cheaper when bought in advance as they are quota controlled and steadily get more expensive as the cheaper bracketed fares are sold out.

National Rail send you to another site to buy tickets, they do not sell them.
    well my bro bought a cheaper ticket to london and an open return that it would have cost on greater anglia on tuesday, so there goes your theory -_-
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    well my bro bought a cheaper ticket to london and an open return that it would have cost on greater anglia on tuesday, so there goes your theory -_-
    My theory? Its fact! I know how the system works so don't try and pull the wool over my eyes,.

I still don't believe that. You cannot possibly have bought a ticket from the trainline that would have been cheaper than had you bought it from another outlet, it all comes out the same system, did you not read that part? You have quite clearly been deceived by their 'clever' advertising.

Still what's ironic is the sheep on the trainline adverts are actually the people who buy from them and believe their garbage.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    As the person above said, no he didn't. Unless you can give the exact dates and stations involved, I refuse to believe thetrainline is any cheaper!

I personally use Redspottedhanky because you get loyalty points for every purchase (and it's the same standard price as everywhere else with no booking fee) - though sometimes the relevant train operator is cheaper (Southern sometimes discount their own advance/off-peak tickets - I believe Eastcoast do the same and maybe a few others).
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChapelTom)
    My theory? Its fact! I know how the system works so don't try and pull the wool over my eyes,.

I still don't believe that. You cannot possibly have bought a ticket from the trainline that would have been cheaper than had you bought it from another outlet, it all comes out the same system, did you not read that part? You have quite clearly been deceived by their 'clever' advertising.

Still what's ironic is the sheep on the trainline adverts are actually the people who buy from them and believe their garbage.

(Original post by callum9999)
    As the person above said, no he didn't. Unless you can give the exact dates and stations involved, I refuse to believe thetrainline is any cheaper!

I personally use Redspottedhanky because you get loyalty points for every purchase (and it's the same standard price as everywhere else with no booking fee) - though sometimes the relevant train operator is cheaper (Southern sometimes discount their own advance/off-peak tickets - I believe Eastcoast do the same and maybe a few others).
    well okay you want the details here they are

from woodbridge to london (change at ipswich) (theres a bus replacement service thanks to work taking place)
    tomorrow - leaving at about 840.. cant remember the exact times.. and open return

i cant remember the price figures, but the trainline was a few quid.. admittedly not much cheaper.. than greater anglia
    oh this is with a railcard too

and by the way i dont believe the crap in adverts.. i rarely even watch them to be honest, i use the trainline because for me at least its cheaper. sure i could shop around all over the place.. but really thats just such an effort.. i dont even travel on trains much anyway as i drive most places
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're travelling actually on the EastCoast line, they tend to do web-only discounts on some of their fares, which isn't a bad shout, plus you can get Reward Points if you spend at least £22 in a single transaction.

I don't know if it's technically classed as split ticketing, but whenever I go up to Edinburgh/Armadale from Cardiff, I buy individual tickets for each stage of my journey, otherwise I'd never get an Advance ticket and would pay about £100 one way... This way even if I'm booking only a week in advance I can still manage it for around £40 one way.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    well okay you want the details here they are

from woodbridge to london (change at ipswich) (theres a bus replacement service thanks to work taking place)
    tomorrow - leaving at about 840.. cant remember the exact times.. and open return

i cant remember the price figures, but the trainline was a few quid.. admittedly not much cheaper.. than greater anglia
    oh this is with a railcard too

and by the way i dont believe the crap in adverts.. i rarely even watch them to be honest, i use the trainline because for me at least its cheaper. sure i could shop around all over the place.. but really thats just such an effort.. i dont even travel on trains much anyway as i drive most places
    I'm not gonna bother arguing anymore anyway. I'll be using both my car (when I get it sorted) and train. I'd rather be driving, train travel is a pain in the arse for convenience, unless I'm drinking when I'll be the only option!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 28, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.