The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

license for tvcatchup???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Politics Student
I can confirm that you do not need a licence for iplayer, 4OD and other streaming sites.

As long as the program is not being broadcast live then it is perfectly legal to not have a licence. I did not have a TV licence during my undergraduate degree or my MSc as I feel they are an extra cost you don't need if you avoid watching live TV.

Quick note: Another huge plus of avoiding live tv is that you never see an advert with an ad blocker.

One again, I am NOT talking about sites like iPlayer etc.
I am talking about sites like TVcatchup, that DO stream the broadcast live.
Why is that so hard for people on here to understand?
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Original post by WelshBluebird

Then my point remains valid. You need a TV licence as they are broadcast live.
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
I thought TV Catchup was a slight loophole as it broadcasts 6 seconds behind live broadcast so its technically not 'live'.

Also a valid question; what about that new feature on iPlayer, you can watch the programme that's being broadcast live from the show's beginning instead of waiting for it to go on demand. Say I've been cooking, and I've missed the start of EastEnders by about 10 minutes so I start it at 19:40 instead of 19:30 on the site, would a TV licence be required for that?

Good question. I would imagine that would count as live broadcasting despite the reset option. Best to just wait for catch up in that case (better safe than sorry)
Reply 23
Original post by Politics Student
Good question. I would imagine that would count as live broadcasting despite the reset option. Best to just wait for catch up in that case (better safe than sorry)

Our service is a live TV service and what dictates this is that is we broadcast a live stream - even if you broadcast from London to Lands End for example there is still going to be a time difference in ms, but the intention is to broadcast live and that is the overriding factor.

As to the requirement of a TV License here is a good piece released for students done by myself and a reporter on TV Licensing LINK and we advise that you do have one but you can get round a that legally if you qualify under three conditions.

Your out-of-term address is covered by a TV Licence

AND you only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries

AND you have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains.

Original post by WelshBluebird

I understand what you're asking :smile: (I think it's that people don't know that TVCatchup is a website and the term 'catchup' is confusing, because in fact it only shows what's on air right now, although, I believe it's on a 10 second delay). Anyway - if you're watching it on a 'mobile' device (ie. it isn't plugged into anything and it runs on batteries) you don't need a license, assuming your home address has one (see link below).

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ32/

Your parents' TV Licence won't cover you while you're away at university.
There is just one exception to this rule. If you only use a device that's powered solely by its own internal batteries, you will be covered by your parents' TV Licence. However, you must not install the device (e.g. plug it into the mains) when using it to receive TV. To check whether this exception applies to you, see student information.
Reply 25
Original post by kevin6767
That is very true.

Well that's up to you, you are free to believe and doubt what you want. The law school at York offers a student advice service. I am not looking for an argument, as I said I was just passing on what I was told. As I have also pointed out you are free to contact them in the morning.

Seriously, you're fighting a losing battle.

No matter what TV Channel you are watching in the UK, if it's being streamed live you must have a TV License.
Reply 26
Can I ask a question?

If I have a laptop...how the hell do these guys know whether or not I'm watching live programmes.

Is it the case that if you have laptop that is capable of playing live TV you have to pay one? Surely not?
Reply 27
You can make up your own mind, this is what it says on the official TV licensing website.

With today’s technology, you can watch TV on more devices than ever, whenever it suits you best. This means a TV Licence doesn’t just cover you to watch TV at home on a TV set. You can also watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV, through all of these devices:

Computers, including laptops and tablets

Mobile phones

Games consoles

Digital boxes, e.g. Freeview, Sky, Virgin, BT Vision

DVD/VHS/Blu-ray recorders.

As long as the address where you live is licensed, you’re also covered to watch TV outside your home using any device powered solely by its own internal batteries. This includes your mobile phone, laptop and tablet.
Exception: If you only watch catch-up services online, then you don’t need a licence. For example, you don’t need one to use BBC iPlayer, or ITV player, to catch up on programmes after they have been shown on TV.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8/

It is not very clear though. I wonder if having your phone plugged in in your car counts? I wonder if you can use your home address while studying at university? Does Catchuptv count as a Tv catch up service as the name describes? Did they purposely set it so that it runs a couple seconds behind broadcast TV for this exact reason?
Reply 28
Original post by dannydoy
You can make up your own mind, this is what it says on the official TV licensing website.

With today’s technology, you can watch TV on more devices than ever, whenever it suits you best. This means a TV Licence doesn’t just cover you to watch TV at home on a TV set. You can also watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV, through all of these devices:

Computers, including laptops and tablets

Mobile phones

Games consoles

Digital boxes, e.g. Freeview, Sky, Virgin, BT Vision

DVD/VHS/Blu-ray recorders.

As long as the address where you live is licensed, you’re also covered to watch TV outside your home using any device powered solely by its own internal batteries. This includes your mobile phone, laptop and tablet.
Exception: If you only watch catch-up services online, then you don’t need a licence. For example, you don’t need one to use BBC iPlayer, or ITV player, to catch up on programmes after they have been shown on TV.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8/

It is not very clear though. I wonder if having your phone plugged in in your car counts? I wonder if you can use your home address while studying at university? Does Catchuptv count as a Tv catch up service as the name describes? Did they purposely set it so that it runs a couple seconds behind broadcast TV for this exact reason?
Our name is a historic issue as when we first started out we were a recording (PVR) service where people could share recordings between each other, hence the name TVCatchup which was nearly six years ago now before the iPlayer and others. But the broadcasters didn't like the idea and legally jumped on us and so we had to take the service down and rethink the idea. In the meantime catchup services started to develop around us and so we decided to come back as a live TV service six months later, but still keeping our name as we have always intended to regain some of the catchup functionality to the service, which will happen very soon with the introduction of our PVR.

As to the time delay, I am afraid we have no influence over that as that is a natural delay due to the time it takes for a signal to reach the end user and is different for all people according to distance from our servers.
Reply 29
How I understand this is if you have the equipment to receive live broadcasting then you need a Tv license.
Plain and simple, if you are watching any program live, on any device, you have to have a TV license. And in Herts accomodation, each individual room is counted at a seperate residence so if one person in your house or kitchen already has a TV license, you still need to get one. I believe that since every computer streaming is slightly behind, tvcatchup probably still requires one. Whether the device is plugged in, not plugged in, a computer, a tv, an ipad, whatever... if the program is live, it requires a TV license.
However it is impossible for anyone to tell that you are streaming unless they come to do a residence check whilst you are doing so. I'm saying this as I saw someone ask, this isn't me encouraging anyone to break the law :P
Once you are at university and that is your place of residence, you are NOT covered by your parents tv license, you have to get your own.
iPlayer, 4oD and those sorts of sites do not require it for catch up but their live streaming features would.
Went through my whole first year watching TV on a TV without a licence at anytime.

I'm short, you don't need one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

If you will be living on campus and having a TV in your room, you will each need a TV Licence. If you wish to put it in the communal area, you will only need 1 licence per group, as long as this is the only TV in the flat.

Regards

UniofHerts
Reply 33
If you look on the catchup site and read the faqs at the bottom ...they answer the question do I need a licence to watch catch up the answer is clear..... its yes
Reply 34
Original post by stace15
If you look on the catchup site and read the faqs at the bottom ...they answer the question do I need a licence to watch catch up the answer is clear..... its yes

this thread is 4 years old....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending