The Student Room Group

AH Biology - Cell Differentiation

Hiya, I'm trying to write some revision notes on this topic at the moment and I'm a bit confused as to what it is that we actually need to know. Do we need to know about segementation in drosophila and development in vertebrates etc? There's info on these topics in Scholar and the monograph, but the actual learning outcomes are a bit vague. In the notes next to this topic it just says ".....cellular differentiation depends on changes in gene expression resulting in genes being switched on and off (similar depth of treatment to Higher Biology)". Now I did Human Biology, but I'm guessing that in Higher Bio you didn't cover drosophila etc? Any help would be much appreciated!
ok stop talking i havent heard any of that - our notes just skim over it at higher level

but teacher sucks so who can say???
Reply 2
I think the Higher Biology course covers the lac operon bit? Try the Higher Bio syllabus on the SQA website to see what was covered in the Higher course...
Reply 3
ok this is a bit late...very late but i did learn about drosophila and embryological development in mammals for the adv higher. at higher we did some nonsense about lac operon as previously mentioned. (which we need to know for advcers as well). there are some notes in ye olde monograph about gene segmentation in drosophila which arent bad and i have some alright ones if u want them. cant remember where my notes on the mammal came from but they involved a small drawing of a mouse. however it might not be necessary to learn about them because my bio friends starting giving me the *elizabeth's-a-bio-freak* look when i asked them if they had learnt it. :rolleyes: but better safe than sorry id say.

Latest