The Student Room Group

The John Lewis Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by matthewbutler
Thanks for all the help:smile:

Any time!
I applied for a Selling Assistant Christmas Temp job last week, closing date was 19th. I got invited to fill in a test about what you would do in circumstances like Customer Complaint, Customer received dammed goods etc. I then had an email the next day inviting me to an Assessment Centre. I'm 15, but am 16 at the end of October. The dates for the assessment were several at the end of Sept/Start of Oct or one on the 29th Oct (a few days after I am 16). It's really inconvenient to go to the one on the 29th, so I accepted one next week, but now I'm stressing out about going to the interview when I'm not 16 yet. I emailed the recruitment team but they're not in till Monday and that's when my assessment is :frown:.
Can anyone help me?:confused::confused:

Don't worry, I went for my group interview and was put on hold at 15 - they knew my age, yet they still interviewed me etc. etc.
Original post by _OliviaTheOwl
Don't worry, I went for my group interview and was put on hold at 15 - they knew my age, yet they still interviewed me etc. etc.

Thanks. I was just worried they'd somehow missed it.
Thanks. I was just worried they'd somehow missed it.

Aww nope, they're JL I doubt they did :smile:
Don't worry about it just make sure you shine in your interview/assessment :biggrin:
You'll be absolutely fine - just don't be put off by others, don't be shy, but not arrogant either - just be you :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 24
Hi,
The christmas jobs for my store aren't up yet- only for hours I can't do all of.
I was just wondering whats the likeliness of getting a permanent contract out of a JL christmas job? It'd be a big help if someone could let me know!
Original post by bobbin95
Hi,
The christmas jobs for my store aren't up yet- only for hours I can't do all of.
I was just wondering whats the likeliness of getting a permanent contract out of a JL christmas job? It'd be a big help if someone could let me know!

I would have thought they'd have advertised all they had. My local advertised Xmas Selling Assistants for a week, then on the closing date listed Catering Assistants for another week. I doubt they'll have anything else put up next week.

I'm still worried about my group assessment, I'm hopeless at 'fun fact about yourself' or 'example of when you did X'... :confused::confused:
Reply 26
I would have thought they'd have advertised all they had. My local advertised Xmas Selling Assistants for a week, then on the closing date listed Catering Assistants for another week. I doubt they'll have anything else put up next week.

I'm still worried about my group assessment, I'm hopeless at 'fun fact about yourself' or 'example of when you did X'... :confused::confused:

Well the job I have now was a christmas job last year, and that wasn't advertised until November, so I think they'll still be more to come. I just want to know how likely it is to get a permanent job out of it, because I don't want to apply for a temp one and lose my permanent job, even though JL pays waaaay better than where I work now!
Reply 27
I applied for a Selling Assistant Christmas Temp job last week, closing date was 19th. I got invited to fill in a test about what you would do in circumstances like Customer Complaint, Customer received dammed goods etc. I then had an email the next day inviting me to an Assessment Centre. I'm 15, but am 16 at the end of October. The dates for the assessment were several at the end of Sept/Start of Oct or one on the 29th Oct (a few days after I am 16). It's really inconvenient to go to the one on the 29th, so I accepted one next week, but now I'm stressing out about going to the interview when I'm not 16 yet. I emailed the recruitment team but they're not in till Monday and that's when my assessment is :frown:.
Can anyone help me?:confused::confused:

Damn. I filled out the form on the 18th and havent had a reply. It says "still under consideration", does this mean I havent got it. You got yours well soon!

Really wanted this job... :mad:
^ They did say they would get back to you either way in under 2 weeks on my application form, so assuming yours was the same you should get told
if you've been successful or not at some point.
Reply 29
^ They did say they would get back to you either way in under 2 weeks on my application form, so assuming yours was the same you should get told
if you've been successful or not at some point.

Yeah I hope so. I really hope you do well in your application. Found this thread which goes through it in detail by the way...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1795145

PS: When replying to a message click the quote button and then type underneath. It then tells me you have replied :smile:
Reply 30
Just a quick update, JL got back to me today (I rang and emailed on Friday) about changing the time, and said that I could change to one of the two other group interview slots, but as both were during collage hours I stuck to the original times and have got permission from my collage.

Thanks again for the help, now its just the interview I have to worry about!

Stuart
Original post by StuartGW
Just a quick update, JL got back to me today (I rang and emailed on Friday) about changing the time, and said that I could change to one of the two other group interview slots, but as both were during collage hours I stuck to the original times and have got permission from my collage.

Thanks again for the help, now its just the interview I have to worry about!

Stuart

They're not that bad, I had mine this afternoon.
Update, I had my interview this afternoon. Basically we went through to a conference type room and sat at tables of between 3 and 5. There were 5 tables and assessors. We had a presentation on JL, then had to stand up and say out favourite retailer and why. Then another presentation, then each table got given a product. They were food mixers, toasters, irons etc. As a group we had to sell it to the assessor. Then it was the individual interviews, they asked the hours you could work and things like 'what could you bring to the partnership'. I've been put on hold till I'm 16, but I have to contact them then and they'll consider me properly.
Update, I had my interview this afternoon. Basically we went through to a conference type room and sat at tables of between 3 and 5. There were 5 tables and assessors. We had a presentation on JL, then had to stand up and say out favourite retailer and why. Then another presentation, then each table got given a product. They were food mixers, toasters, irons etc. As a group we had to sell it to the assessor. Then it was the individual interviews, they asked the hours you could work and things like 'what could you bring to the partnership'. I've been put on hold till I'm 16, but I have to contact them then and they'll consider me properly.

Did everyone say John Lewis for this? :P
Got my interview tomorrow!
Actually, no-one did! Lots of people said Amazon though :tongue:
Reply 35
Good Luck.... :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Dear [me],

Thank you for attending the recent assessment for a position at John Lewis [store name].

Unfortunately, we will not be taking your application further for this position. We do feel there may be further suitable opportunities in the future and would therefore like to keep your details on file, and if the situation changes in the next six months we will be in touch.

If there are any changes to your contact details, please can you keep the branch informed, if you do not we may not be able to contact you when an opportunity becomes available.

Thank you again for your interest in wishing to join John Lewis.

Kind Regards,

[name]

:frown::frown::frown:
Reply 37
I've got an interview tomorrow for a temp position, but I also have and interview with Tesco on Friday for a permanent position, does anyone know if there's a chance of it becoming permanent after Christmas?

Thanks

Stuart
Reply 38
Original post by StuartGW
I've got an interview tomorrow for a temp position, but I also have and interview with Tesco on Friday for a permanent position, does anyone know if there's a chance of it becoming permanent after Christmas?

Thanks

Stuart

You'll have to ask them at your interview. If there are permanent positions available, you'll have to have another interview when your time as a temp is nearly up. Some years they'll make a lot of people permanent, some years they make no-one permanent.
I have two interviews coming up, both at the same store. One is a 'xmas sales assistant' role, whilst the other is a 'stock management assistant' role. I have no idea what the interview process is like, any help would be much appreciated!

(why isn't there a central/main thread for all things related to JL:beard:similar to the Waitrose thread)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending