The Student Room Group

The John Lewis Thread

Sooo I'm starting at John Lewis soon, do any of you guys work there and would be able to tell me what I need to wear for uniform?

I'm still waiting for my business dress code to come through the post...do I just need a skirt/blouse/blazer or do they ask you to buy things from a specific supplier?

Thanks! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You get 50% (I think, I work at Waitrose :tongue:) of what you buy from the JL shopfloor back, up to a maximum of £200 or thereabouts per year. Anything from outside JL you have to pay for yourself.

It's basically smart business dress - black, navy or grey skirt, trousers, dress, jacket, blouses can be white/pastel, shoes have to be polished, hair and makeup has to be smart etc.
Reply 2
Original post by soph-a-loaf
Sooo I'm starting at John Lewis soon, do any of you guys work there and would be able to tell me what I need to wear for uniform?

I'm still waiting for my business dress code to come through the post...do I just need a skirt/blouse/blazer or do they ask you to buy things from a specific supplier?

Thanks! :smile:

Hey, I was just wondering if you could tell me how you got on with getting all your uniform sorted? I start a job at John Lewis next week and the woman who called me told me about ordering uniform through a supplier, which I assume means you have to pay for it? What sort of things did you have to get and how much is it?

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by colef001
Hey, I was just wondering if you could tell me how you got on with getting all your uniform sorted? I start a job at John Lewis next week and the woman who called me told me about ordering uniform through a supplier, which I assume means you have to pay for it? What sort of things did you have to get and how much is it?

Thank you! :smile:

Hey :smile: no problem!

You can order through their supplier, you have to buy the uniform yourself but with their supplier (I think its called dimensions?) you get it discounted (60% I think). I didn't end up buying my uniform from there though, as nothing really caught my eye haha, so I went to places like Next and Marks & Spencer instead - you don't have to buy uniform specifically from their supplier :smile: Next is quite reasonably priced, and you can get matching suits there. Also, I know New Look do some nice pencil/work skirts for like £12 which is really good!

It's business dress so I usually wear a jacket/blazer, a smart shirt & pencil skirt or a dress. As long as you look business-like and professional you will be fine :smile:

I hope this helped ! Good luck in your new job :smile: x
Reply 4
Original post by soph-a-loaf
Hey :smile: no problem!

You can order through their supplier, you have to buy the uniform yourself but with their supplier (I think its called dimensions?) you get it discounted (60% I think). I didn't end up buying my uniform from there though, as nothing really caught my eye haha, so I went to places like Next and Marks & Spencer instead - you don't have to buy uniform specifically from their supplier :smile: Next is quite reasonably priced, and you can get matching suits there. Also, I know New Look do some nice pencil/work skirts for like £12 which is really good!

It's business dress so I usually wear a jacket/blazer, a smart shirt & pencil skirt or a dress. As long as you look business-like and professional you will be fine :smile:

I hope this helped ! Good luck in your new job :smile: x

That was really helpful! Thank you! They were so vague about it! I'm glad that you can buy things anywhere though! I've only been offered a temporary contract before I start uni so I didn't want to have to spend loads.

Thanks very much again. Hope you are enjoying your job. :smile:
Reply 5
Hi All,

I applied for a Christmas job at my local JL, and just got an email saying I was invited to a group interview, but I'm in collage for the date and time! I recall them putting the date on the application but I'm sure it was on a weekend.

Any advice? Is it worth asking them if there's a different date? Should I ask my collage if I can miss the three lessons it would run on?

Thanks

Stuart
Reply 6
Having worked for the John Lewis Partnership, if you called them and asked if there was another date then i'm sure they will be more then happy to change the day but it maybe the only day they are doing group interviews. If not then ask your college i'm sure they wouldn't mind you missing a couple of lessons
Reply 7
Original post by StuartGW
Hi All,

I applied for a Christmas job at my local JL, and just got an email saying I was invited to a group interview, but I'm in collage for the date and time! I recall them putting the date on the application but I'm sure it was on a weekend.

Any advice? Is it worth asking them if there's a different date? Should I ask my collage if I can miss the three lessons it would run on?

Thanks

Stuart

Hi,

Can I ask when the deadline for yours was? I applied on the 18th and am wondering how long they take to tell you if you got it.

With regards, to your issue just contact them and they should be fine with rearranging.
Reply 8
First off thanks omi_naomi, I will give them a ring in the morning.

momanium- the application closed on the 7th, and said they'd get in touch with us by tomorrow either way

I'll let you know how I get on

Stuart
I applied for a Selling Assistant Christmas Temp job last week, closing date was 19th. I got invited to fill in a test about what you would do in circumstances like Customer Complaint, Customer received dammed goods etc. I then had an email the next day inviting me to an Assessment Centre. I'm 15, but am 16 at the end of October. The dates for the assessment were several at the end of Sept/Start of Oct or one on the 29th Oct (a few days after I am 16). It's really inconvenient to go to the one on the 29th, so I accepted one next week, but now I'm stressing out about going to the interview when I'm not 16 yet. I emailed the recruitment team but they're not in till Monday and that's when my assessment is :frown:.
Can anyone help me?:confused::confused:
Reply 10
It may not matter. Last year, I went for a Christmas job at JL and had my assessment mid October but then didn't start until a month later, so you may be fine.

It's probably worth explaining your situation to the recruiters there just to be on the safe side.
I did put on the application form in the last box 'Why do you want to work for us'(or similar)
I will be able to start work after [birthday] when I turn 16.I'm just worried they might have missed it as there wasn't a specific box, and I'm worried about ending up in a room full of people massively older than me on Monday for 2 hours and possibly being sent away.
Reply 12
The people won't be massively older than you, so don't worry. Most people going for Christmas jobs are 16/17/18, however there may be some older people there.

Also, at my assessment, I think most people (if not everyone) got offered a job. Just don't stress too much about it.
Original post by voldejoe
The people won't be massively older than you, so don't worry. Most people going for Christmas jobs are 16/17/18, however there may be some older people there.

Also, at my assessment, I think most people (if not everyone) got offered a job. Just don't stress too much about it.

When was your assessment? What was it like?
Thanks
Reply 14
It was last year, I'm at a different job now. But don't panic, the assessments are really not scary or too hard :smile:

And you're welcome :smile:
Original post by voldejoe

Sorry, didn't realise you were the same person as before :biggrin:
Yours was last year then.

Do you know how the different assessment dates works, ie do they have X number of jobs to fill on each assessment, or do they choose them all at the end?
Reply 16
Original post by matthewbutler
Sorry, didn't realise you were the same person as before :biggrin:
Yours was last year then.

Do you know how the different assessment dates works, ie do they have X number of jobs to fill on each assessment, or do they choose them all at the end?

Haha, don't worry, I'm glad to help :smile: I don't think they have designated jobs for each assessment, I think its all down to candidate suitability and availability on the day haha
What actually happened at the assessment? Was it actual selling to the public or the group, talking to the group, teamwork like building lego or towers out of newspapers or something else?
Reply 18
Original post by matthewbutler
What actually happened at the assessment? Was it actual selling to the public or the group, talking to the group, teamwork like building lego or towers out of newspapers or something else?

Mine involved making a poster promoting a new John Lewis store in a specific location and explaining how the poster was aimed at the target market. I also had a group of skills/qualities and had to put them in a list of importance and justify my answer. These were done in small groups.

I also had a very short one on one interview. :smile:
Thanks for all the help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending