The Student Room Group

What is wrong with resits?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cutmeloose
I think that usually is talking about people who have personal issues going on. Irritates me how people assume that everyone has a cushy life, where getting 3 As is their only priority.

Maybe I'm inhumane, but no level of personal issue would make me magically forget the information I had engrained into my mind through preparing adequately
Original post by marcus2001
Maybe I'm inhumane, but no level of personal issue would make me magically forget the information I had engrained into my mind through preparing adequately

Yes, but some people may see themselves having to do things which means they can't dedicate enough time to their studies first time. I.e having to support their family, care for a relative, manage an illness. The list is endless. Obviously having a bad day is usually down to not being prepared enough, so I'm pretty much in agreement with you. Just saying that there is occassionaly a good reason for some students.
Yes, but some people may see themselves having to do things which means they can't dedicate enough time to their studies first time. I.e having to support their family, care for a relative, manage an illness. The list is endless. Obviously having a bad day is usually down to not being prepared enough, so I'm pretty much in agreement with you. Just saying that there is occassionaly a good reason for some students.

Yeah well I would class all of those circumstances as 'extenuating circumstances' rather than 'bad days', but agreed.
I do support resits to an extent.
During two of my 3 Maths exams for GCSE I was horribly ill and found myself paying more attention to the fact that my nose was leaking, than the actual questions. Fortunately I came out with a good grade for them both, but I know it cost me vital points that caused me to miss out on my desired grade, which shows that sometimes resits are needed due to those one off days of problems.

Also I appreciated resits for my AS levels, as I believe so many people walk through GCSE's, and not realise the amount of revision AS requires.

But I do believe you should be only able to resit once!
Reply 64
Original post by kayleigh_jude
I do support resits to an extent.
During two of my 3 Maths exams for GCSE I was horribly ill and found myself paying more attention to the fact that my nose was leaking, than the actual questions. Fortunately I came out with a good grade for them both, but I know it cost me vital points that caused me to miss out on my desired grade, which shows that sometimes resits are needed due to those one off days of problems.

Also I appreciated resits for my AS levels, as I believe so many people walk through GCSE's, and not realise the amount of revision AS requires.

But I do believe you should be only able to resit once!

If you're allowed to resit once for a leaky nose, then why not twice? Either it's a valid reason, or it isn't. I think I'd be more in favour of resits if the candidate hadn't sat the exam the first time, that way they don't have a result to fall back on, just like all the other first time candidates.
Original post by Revilo1
But surely in life you are given plenty of chances to improve, aren't you? It's not like if you don't do particularly well in your first job as, say, an accountant, you will never be allowed to become an accountant. It seems unfair to expect everyone to do their best on their first go.

Also, I wouldn't say it is particularly unfair - if you get your predicted grade, you are still allowed to resit to try and do better. I achieved my target grade in English, but was allowed to retake because my English teacher reckoned I could do better. I didn't have to pay for this resit, either.

True, but some people are given more than 1 chance to get their predicted grade. I know someone who sat AS English Language 3 times whilst at College just to try and improve their grade. That's when it's not fair on others.

And I understand that one failed chance doesn't mean you should never be allowed but there has to be a limit as to how many times you get it wrong.

I do get where you're coming from though.
Reply 66
Original post by Hopple
So that makes it okay for A Levels to favour the rich???

I am not saying that it is a good thing that A levels favour the rich, I am simply stating that it is true. And I cannot think of any family which would suffer long-term consequences from having to pay £25 to resit an exam. The student bursary alone is around £30 per week - all it would take is saving a pound a week through your A levels, and you'd be able to afford it.
Original post by Revilo1
I am not saying that it is a good thing that A levels favour the rich, I am simply stating that it is true. And I cannot think of any family which would suffer long-term consequences from having to pay £25 to resit an exam. .

I think the bolded shows just how out of touch with reality you are. For many families £25 per week would be needed for food in the house. I could never comfortably go and ask my mother for £25. It would take her some scrimping to find it and probably mean she couldn't pay some of her bills that month.
Reply 68
Original post by Revilo1
I am not saying that it is a good thing that A levels favour the rich, I am simply stating that it is true. And I cannot think of any family which would suffer long-term consequences from having to pay £25 to resit an exam. The student bursary alone is around £30 per week - all it would take is saving a pound a week through your A levels, and you'd be able to afford it.

I said resits unfairly favour the rich, then you counter that by saying 'Further education as a whole favours the rich though anyway' as if that makes it okay. Wtf?

Surely you can see the difference between taking less than 1% out of your savings and taking 3% out of a much needed bursary for a year?
Reply 69
I think the bolded shows just how out of touch with reality you are. For many families £25 per week would be needed for food in the house. I could never comfortably go and ask my mother for £25. It would take her some scrimping to find it and probably mean she couldn't pay some of her bills that month.

How many resits are you taking? Because if it works out at £25 per week, you may just be too much of a perfectionist...
Original post by Revilo1
How many resits are you taking? Because if it works out at £25 per week, you may just be too much of a perfectionist...

Ah no lol I have a part time job so I'm covered on that front! If I didn't though, my mum would struggle as she literally has no spare cash, I even give most of my wages to her every month! I'm sure some people won't be lucky enough to have jobs :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Hopple
I said resits unfairly favour the rich, then you counter that by saying 'Further education as a whole favours the rich though anyway' as if that makes it okay. Wtf?

Surely you can see the difference between taking less than 1% out of your savings and taking 3% out of a much needed bursary for a year?

The point I was trying to make was that our whole education system favours the rich, as do most things in our society. If you (or your parents) have lots of money, things will always be that little bit easier. However, with resits it really shouldn't be an issue regarding wealth.

If your family struggles that much with money (and I must admit that I have never met a family which did struggle with something like this), there are plenty of ways of earning a little extra money to help go towards it.

And as I said, a student bursary will easily cover taking a few resits, and if your situation is really bad, surely social services etc. could help. I know they offer to buy people from poor backgrounds laptops, so they aren't put at a disadvantage. And for all the resits I did (at GCSE) I never even had to pay anyway.
Reply 72
Ah no lol I have a part time job so I'm covered on that front! If I didn't though, my mum would struggle as she literally has no spare cash, I even give most of my wages to her every month! I'm sure some people won't be lucky enough to have jobs :smile:

Obviously not everyone can get a job, however there are enough ways to get extra money (e.g. student bursary). Even just asking some of your friends to each lend you a fiver could work - I regularly have to 'borrow' money from my friends, and they never seem to mind :biggrin:
Reply 73
Resits, especially if undeclared, give people extra time for a certain subject.

I think a lot of people harbour personal resentment towards resitters - there are lots of people I know who did next-to-nothing in the first year and may get off 'scot-free' if they resit failed modules and end up with the same grades as someone who worked hard in both years.

That said, the people I know tend to do worse on resits than they did originally, so maybe all the talk of an unfair advantage isn't quite correct.
Reply 74
Original post by AncientRemedy
True, but some people are given more than 1 chance to get their predicted grade. I know someone who sat AS English Language 3 times whilst at College just to try and improve their grade. That's when it's not fair on others.

And I understand that one failed chance doesn't mean you should never be allowed but there has to be a limit as to how many times you get it wrong.

I do get where you're coming from though.

But I still don't see how it is unfair that some people resit more than others - you're still doing the same courses/modules as them, and you still get as many opportunities to resit. And just because you got the grade you were predicted doesn't mean you shouldn't resit, especially if you think you stand a good chance of doing better.

My English teacher spent a lot of time explaining that your predicted grade is just a prediction, and not a target - you shouldn't judge how successful you are just by comparing your results to your predicted ones.
Reply 75
Original post by Revilo1
The point I was trying to make was that our whole education system favours the rich, as do most things in our society. If you (or your parents) have lots of money, things will always be that little bit easier. However, with resits it really shouldn't be an issue regarding wealth.

So, instead of allowing this unfair advantage to continue or even grow further, why not cut it back where possible?

If your family struggles that much with money (and I must admit that I have never met a family which did struggle with something like this), there are plenty of ways of earning a little extra money to help go towards it.

And as I said, a student bursary will easily cover taking a few resits, and if your situation is really bad, surely social services etc. could help. I know they offer to buy people from poor backgrounds laptops, so they aren't put at a disadvantage. And for all the resits I did (at GCSE) I never even had to pay anyway.

Did you go to a private school or something? Each entrant costs money anyway, they have to pay the markers, and your school will likely have funds set aside for only one entry each unless they're getting quite a bit extra such as a private school. It doesn't make sense for a squeezed state school (typically in poorer areas they will be more squeezed) to set aside money from the budget for possible resits that would be more effectively spent on classes as a whole.
Reply 76
Original post by Hopple
So, instead of allowing this unfair advantage to continue or even grow further, why not cut it back where possible?

Did you go to a private school or something? Each entrant costs money anyway, they have to pay the markers, and your school will likely have funds set aside for only one entry each unless they're getting quite a bit extra such as a private school. It doesn't make sense for a squeezed state school (typically in poorer areas they will be more squeezed) to set aside money from the budget for possible resits that would be more effectively spent on classes as a whole.

OK, since even I can see I'm struggling to say what I mean, I'll try again. The whole education system is biased towards people who are wealthier (as is our whole society), due to the fact that someone has to support students while they study, and money can help due to things like private schools and private tutors. There is little you can really do about this without simply banning these things, and making everyone equally as worse off, as opposed to trying to make everyone equally as well off.

However, there is already alot being done to help this, and arguably enough. Firstly, there is child benefit, which is given to all parents to help them pay for things for their children while they are students. At sixth form, students from worse off backgrounds can get a student bursary, and social services will also help in certan ways (including buying a laptop for a student). With all this extra help, I fail to see how anyone can suggest there are long term consequences for families having to spend just £25, a few times a year at most, to have a resit which could have been for free providied you tell your school before the deadline.

This is the system my school had at GCSE - I am assuming this is how it works in almost all over comprehensives/academies for GCSE, although I am not 100% certain about how it works at A level.

And no, I went to a comprehensive secondary school, which was turned into an academy last year. I have taken several resits - as have most of my friends - and none of us have had to pay any money. The school said the only reason you would have to pay for a resit is if you asked to do one past a certain deadline. My sixth form (which I started this September) is part of my secondary school.
Reply 77
Nothing. You're just taking another chance.
Reply 78
Original post by Revilo1
OK, since even I can see I'm struggling to say what I mean, I'll try again. The whole education system is biased towards people who are wealthier (as is our whole society), due to the fact that someone has to support students while they study, and money can help due to things like private schools and private tutors. There is little you can really do about this without simply banning these things, and making everyone equally as worse off, as opposed to trying to make everyone equally as well off.
How are you worse off from not having resits? That applies to everyone, and since that's who you're competing with it's fair. If one year group had some super harsh exam and nobody came out with better than a D, they write what grade they got and the year and then people will go "Oh, you were that year. Unlucky lol, but we'll have you anyway". The more resits you take the more of an advantage you have overthose who just do one.

However, there is already alot being done to help this, and arguably enough. Firstly, there is child benefit, which is given to all parents to help them pay for things for their children while they are students. At sixth form, students from worse off backgrounds can get a student bursary, and social services will also help in certan ways (including buying a laptop for a student). With all this extra help, I fail to see how anyone can suggest there are long term consequences for families having to spend just £25, a few times a year at most, to have a resit which could have been for free providied you tell your school before the deadline.

This is the system my school had at GCSE - I am assuming this is how it works in almost all over comprehensives/academies for GCSE, although I am not 100% certain about how it works at A level.

And no, I went to a comprehensive secondary school, which was turned into an academy last year. I have taken several resits - as have most of my friends - and none of us have had to pay any money. The school said the only reason you would have to pay for a resit is if you asked to do one past a certain deadline. My sixth form (which I started this September) is part of my secondary school.

Perhaps it varies across the country then, or has changed since I did A Levels (I don't see why it would have though), but I know people on EMA had to pay for resits. Your school seems like it's using resits as an actual strategy to get better grades rather than focus on getting results first time if it's set aside money for resits on such a large scale. It does cost someone money for each entry, since that paper needs to be marked by someone and they'll want paying (plus admin).
Reply 79
For all the people who say that resits shouldn't be allowed what happens if in 10 years time you've finished university but the career path you've chosen isn't for you, but you don't have the necessary qualifications to move into a new path so you would have to go back to university and do it again to get the qualifications you want to change career paths? Obviously they shouldn't be given a second chance at life as well?

For me resits are okay if you got a low grade and you know you can do better but for people to resit an A to get a higher A is just pathetic and it shouldn't allowed. I think from maybe mid B downwards resits should be allowed, other than that you're just being spoilt. I got an A and a C so I'm resitting because I only need 7 marks to get an A altogether. Should I not be allowed the resit because I'm trying to better my already decent-ish grade (B overall).

Alot of exams now are just the techniques you use and whether you can remember them, for example last year in Psychology I knew people who just wrote out each possible essay numerous times until the tutor had marked them as A's for each question. They then just revised them word for word until they knew them off by heart and when it came to the exam they just looked at the question, remembered the relevent essay and wrote it down coming out with an A. They just remembered the technique enough so they could write their own essay during term which they would then just learn. You can't be telling me that that makes them smart because they got an A straight away.

I struggle with essay techniques which is what marks me down, I know the stuff but I can't put it into an essay. That doesn't mean I'm not smart, that just means I'm awful at essays and if you say that means I'm not suited to a job because I had to resit a few times to get the mark then I'll call you an idiot. If I wanted to work in a museum I'm not gonna be talking about each thing in essay form, I'm gonna be talking about the actual stuff. If they just had loads of questions asking for a straight answer about what happened I could probably pass with at least a B in all of them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending