The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
um its very unlikely you'll get accomodation initially, althought most insurance people did get housed before christmas. sussex was my insurance and i (and many others!) got stuck with host families (dont even get me started...the whole thing was completely unorganised and badly handled by the uni) but now im living off campus in a student house. dont want to worry you though! it might be slightly better this year as there will be less applicants, but who knows??
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
oh my god, im puttin sussex as my insurance offer...i had no idea they might put me with a host family. ahh im just going to have to get three As then, otherwise il end up at sussex dammit....
Reply 3
last year the housing office told me they didnt give anyone with sussex as their insurance a place in uni accomodation, apparently they automatically told every insurance offer student to take up their offer of a host family or sort out something in the private renting sector with other students...
Reply 4
im so worried now, need to work my butt off for AAB :-( hopefully if i dont get into Reading and do end up at Sussex i will be with a host family for a while but then go to a house somewhere, im so scared
Reply 5
omg i've got suzzex as my insurance too, i dont wanna live with some random family!!! :-S that would be so... crap
Reply 6
*sussex!
My boyfriend ended up in a host family with another guy who he's now good friends with. It wasn't so bad, just make sure you dont confine yourself to the house, get down to the univresity and get involved as much as possible, you'll find that theres a lot of host family students in the same position who want to make friends too. My boyfriend made friends really quickly and ended up sleeping in peoples rooms on campus most nights!
Holy crap! Evil_Waffle has Sussex as insurance aswell T_T Host families aren't Evil_Waffles cup of tea
This is really bad news. If i dont get into first choice, im taking a gap year and makin damn sure i get into first choice the following year. i dont want to end up with a host family at all
Reply 10
remember there will be a lot less applicants this year, and after the chaos of last year they have probably given out less offers
Try not to worry. Yes, it might happen, but there are less applicants this year, and I'm sure the housing office have learned from it. If you're worried about it, try ringing the housing office. See what numbers they reckon they'll be allocating and what they think will happen.
And being with a host family isn't as bad as it sounds. It's not amazing, I'm not saying that at all. Just get onto campus to meet people, and get onto the transfer list quickly, or in a house in the private sector with others.
Reply 13
I emailed sussex and they said that they house all insurance students by end of autumn. How about all of us if we are rejects from our firms get a house together lol! Im so worried now!! Are there less applicants just because of top up fees?
Reply 14
(just to note they said that all students were housed by xmas but the only housing i was offered was an East Slope shared room...)
Reply 15
Oh dear! Im gonna work hard now to get into my firm. Surrey was my other choice for an insurance but i didnt want to do a four year psychology degree so i visited sussex and it was only after i put it as an insurance that i found out.
Like I said, last year was a special case. Be prepared to possibly have to live with a host family for a short while, but there will be nowhere near as much by way of problems this year. Less applicants. Also, the office has learned from getting all of us angry host family students camped out in their office practically for the first few weeks!

But your firm is your firm for a reason, so you should always be working hard to get into that. :biggrin:
Reply 17
very true! Its just scary thats all! Oh well what will be will be.
just take a gap year if all goes wrong!
Reply 19
so_this_is_sam
just take a gap year if all goes wrong!

lol wish i'd done that!

Latest

Trending

Trending