The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HelenaS88
Is it? Or does it just completely belittle actually serious things. People using superlatives in minor situations is a major bug bear of mine.

When I think about it, I find it absurd. But it's something that's always going to happen. Everything is on its own scale. Don't let little things like exagerrations get to you ;]
Reply 41
Original post by Harry Callahan
You must be an adult. If you're an adult and you don't know how to wash your clothes, then it's pretty pathetic.

I don't think I'm amazing at all, far from it.

Cool story bro, want a sticker? Wish we could all be amazing like you. Funny that no one in my blocks washed a load since we arrived a week ago...
Original post by HelenaS88
Is it? Or does it just completely belittle actually serious things. People using superlatives in minor situations is a major bug bear of mine.

Soul-destroying isn't a superlative. People getting definitions wrong really annoys me.
Reply 43
My method is stick clothes in machine, press random buttons until things happen. It's yet to fail me after two years.
Original post by JamesYoung
Cool story bro, want a sticker? Wish we could all be amazing like you. Funny that no one in my blocks washed a load since we arrived a week ago...

I just said I'm far from amazing. I know how to wash clothes, though. Well, those in your blocks are useless as well then.
Reply 45
Soul-destroying isn't a superlative. People getting definitions wrong really annoys me.

Ok I mean exaggerating. Guns really annoy me :smile:
Reply 46
I just said I'm far from amazing. I know how to wash clothes, though. Well, those in your blocks are useless as well then.

No...maybe uni is about growing up and being independent. They do say you learn life skills when you go to uni...
No...maybe uni is about growing up and being independent. They do say you learn life skills when you go to uni...

I just find it ridiculous, that's all. Sorry if it's such a great expectation.

To be fair, that could have something to do with most halls students stock piling washing and doing a big load at once, since the machines are usually expensive/saves walking back and forward. Our machines were so expensive that we used to do a fortnightly wash - three weekly at a push - and just do as many loads as we needed to at once.
Original post by Sabriella
That's fair enough, and I guess it's all about your environment. But these things need to be done, and learnt. As a bit of advice to you, if you're worried, split it into three piles rather than two. My mum only does two, but my housemate of the last two years does three and now I can't bring myself to do anything else xD I do a dark wash (blacks, dark colors and reds), colors (pinks, light greens, light blues etc), and whites/creams/neutral colors. It's not necessary, but it's garaunteed no runs.

OK - thanks for the advice. :smile:
Reply 50
1. You didn't bother asking your mum before you left?

2. Your mum doesn't care enough about you to have taken the time to teach you some essential things like this?
Reply 51
It's soul destroying to see. I know people who can't even turn an oven on or cook a piece of toast without help. WHY.

Cooking and washing are women's jobs, didn't you know?
Original post by Davsters
Cooking and washing are women's jobs, didn't you know?

My bad. Men like arsenic in the food and itching powder in their clothes, right?
I've had white t shirts come out a pinky purple before, never again :colondollar:
Reply 54
My bad. Men like arsenic in the food and itching powder in their clothes, right?

I see the planting of information by feminazis has reached the general population. This is unacceptable.
Just throw them into a puddle and let nature do the rest.
Reply 56
Most clothes will have a label on the indicating how they should be washed (the temperature and some clothes that may dye might say that wash with similar colour etc). Though I find that it's just fine to wash most clothes at 40 degrees with a regular program even though they might say delicate 30 degrees. But a tip on how to save money, if you only have very little laundry of a certain colour or something that needs to be washed in a different temperature, ask your flatmates if they want to wash their laundry with yours and split the costs.
Of course we do, but it's not knowledge in the conventional sense. Washing clothes is something you should just know how to do, it's something that's done every day.

And it's not "prattish" at all. It's not a hard thing to do.
I just stuck all my clothes in the same load on 40C colour wash......never bothered to separate them into colours and whites; considering that my clothes turned out fine on each occasion and that it would have costed me another £1.40 to do 2 separate loads, I think I saved quite a lot of money over the course of the year. :tongue:

If you're living in halls, another thing that you can do is to do your washing with your mates and share a load i.e. doing the whites at the same time and then doing your colours at a different time, which would also save money.
Reply 59
It's soul destroying to see. I know people who can't even turn an oven on or cook a piece of toast without help. WHY.

Erm.. how do you cook toast?

Latest

Trending

Trending