The Student Room Group

Jobless Graduate

Hi there,

I thought I would introduce myself, and I thought I would ask for help. I have a real problem - I can't even understand it -

I'm unemployed (kind of) I've applied for lots of jobs at different times in my life since university (graduated in 2009) I did a psychology BA degree and received a 2:1 and then I did a distance learning in International Management masters that I nearly completed (2 modules left) but I ran out of money.

Here's the thing, I can't seem to find work! I've applied for all kinds of jobs, sales, recruitment, good jobs, bad jobs, bar jobs, restaurant jobs.

I mean literally I have applied for thousands of jobs and my CV is actually good - In fact before the recession I used to work as a careers advisor and help people with their CV's.

However, I wouldn't be giving you all the fair information if I didn't say everything _ I think I know the reason why I don't get any of the jobs I apply for. When I was 16 I started running a business, the business has always done OK usually making about 7,000 a year profit (I'm now 26).
My business should be doing so much better - but it doesn't is the reality. the amount you work on a business is insane, I easily do 100 hours a week, this week I will probably only do 60-70 (i'm having a slow one)

Anyway, I get the impression that whenever I go for a job the reason they don't like me is because I've had a busienss, and it makes me look entrepeneurial, but then they question my integrity because my business performs poorly financially - claiming that they could make my business successful - I always hear the directors who interview me say "the fact that you seem like you've spent 10 years been passionate about a business and it hasn't performed great, makes me worry - like if you were going to work for usu I doubt you'd be as passionate as that and we are expanding and growing we can't have someone who's failed" I've heard that maybe 100 times.

Whenever I hear that I reassure the interviewer that I intend on quiting my company and being fully invested into theirs, and that my company was a difficult business to run with many complications that aren't obvious to an outsider.

But it doesn't matter how well dressed, well spoken, intelligent, decent, honest, friendly I come across - all i get is. "Your someone I would love to pick the brains of, go for a drink with, and probably invest in, but I'd never hire you"

I'm not writing this out of ego, believe me I have no ego. at times I have really wanted to kill myself, the only reason I never do - is things never get quite that bad, everytime my life hits rock bottom, my business will suddenly make a few thousand and then I will feel like the king pin and my worries will temporarily subside.

I'm not in touch with my parents, and I have slept on sofa's for about a year now... well just over I think,

I have to admit I probably only apply for about 6 jobs a week. I used to apply for hundreds, its just that time if I spend that same time that I would applying for jobs instead working on my business then I will definitely make money - It might not be alot but I will make some.

My business aswell, I mention the profit, but the business in terms of other benefits is ok, its taken me around the world two-three times to meet clients. However I don't actually enjoy the travelling, i've never been a travelling kind of person.

Guys, I know you probably can't help.. but this is me reaching out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well, isn't the answer obvious?

If you really, in your heart of hearts, think people are rejecting you because of your business, then just... stop mentioning it. Keep it off your CV.
Reply 2
Yeah I agree I dont think you should mention it. If you do make it brief. Dont even go too much in depth.
I think that you should mention other things that you have done which turned out good. This could be anything from previous jobs or volunteering. Thing is if you are not getting the jobs that you've applied for just because you mentined your business then simply don't mention it. Employers always look for those who are excellent, even I admit there is no perfect human being, but you just have to show all the positives things you have done so that they don't see any weakness in you.

Hope you get a job soon.
That's the thing. I couldn't just take it off because my business has been my career for so many years. (And taking it off would only live low minimum wage paying jobs that basically make me sound like I've been inbetween Job seekers support and poor-uneducated jobs all my life - which simply isn't the case. I've delivered presentations to major organisations, and lectured to hundreds of people at a time including neuroscientists. The reason why I never quit my business despite its low financial performance is because it wasn't that obvious that the business wasn't progressing.

Anyway I've come back to post here, because something weird happened on the morning when I posted on here last time. I actually was offered a job, It was only a low paid job, well. actually it was OK it was 3 days a week at 11 pounds an hour. After working there a month I saw an opportunity to switch company where I got 11 pounds an hour at four days a week.

Now i'm back in the situation where my contract with the current company looks to end in February and now that I'm feeling a little more confident I'm looking to make the move to London and get a real job.

I can't actually remember what I wrote in my CV on that day when I was offered that job after immediately posting on here. I don't know whether I did a long explanation of my work as a Director of my company or whether I kept it brief, or whether I left it off entirely altogether.

Now I'm applying for jobs again, and I've decided to make a long paragraph about my business where I explain it all in a positive light.

Do you want to know something really surprising? My business has been making money recently... actually it's been making quite a lot considering I've been homeless about a year or so now. Like forgive me for being enthuastic, but its making maybe 300-900 a week! yeah? I know ontop of my 320 pound wage that's actually almost a decent living.

Thing is, I'm still completely unhappy. Many of my friends who I considered losers or unintelligent in school now have 60k banking or oil jobs and they say to me "because I worked for it and you didn't" and I think OMG I want to slap you in the face.

Anyway, I want to move to London... as I need to get an agent, and I need to find bars to work regularly in as a magician as that pays quite well and could supplement my income. The problem is I'm now stuck with this contract in the middle of nowhere in the east midlands until Febuary or until I get a job that is significantly better.

I actually don't even know where to look for jobs, do you guys know anywhere where I could start?

I really appreciate this, I've been in such a mess in my life, and for a 26 year old graduate I can't believe how little my life has progressed. I used to be the coolest guy, the most popular one with all the girls, and loads of friends.

I actually don't even speak to anyone anymore, because I'm actually ashamed of my lack of performance.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending