The Student Room Group

Why do people go uni for the sake of it?

What don't understand is why people go uni just.mfor the sake of it. They apply to crap universities which charge then up £40000 in debt. On courses like business. Art. Media....... You ask most people why they want to go uni and it will be because of the night life. What's the point of it lol.
Reply 1
There are very few jobs for school leavers in the UK and even fewer apprenticeships. If you're capable of undertaking a university course, in all likelihood your only alternative to university is a few years of unemployment. The debt is a huge concern, but that has to be weighed against the fact that at least you'll have a higher qualification to show for it, which hopefully puts you in a better position for finding a job.

Parental pressure is also a factor. The parents of today's school leavers come from a generation where going to university was aspirational and not so much the norm. Added to the fact that in their day, any debts incurred were much smaller and generally the responsibility of the parents. These days the debts might be huge but are the responsibility of the student. I suspect it makes some parents rather more keen on the idea than they would have been a few years ago!
Reply 2
Are you yourself going to University, OP?
Reply 3
Original post by Horatio-
Are you yourself going to University, OP?

Yes Manchester uni.
Original post by zainahmed72
You ask most people why they want to go uni and it will be because of the night life. What's the point of it lol.

The night life.
What don't understand is why people go uni just.mfor the sake of it. They apply to crap universities which charge then up £40000 in debt. On courses like business. Art. Media....... You ask most people why they want to go uni and it will be because of the night life. What's the point of it lol.

My uncle did a degree in Business and he's now a millionaire. Which might have happened without him going to university but might well not have done.
Reply 6
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
My uncle did a degree in Business and he's now a millionaire. Which might have happened without him going to university but might well not have done.

which university did he go to? if it was a good reputable uni then the business courses in there are good. the ones that are offered in metropolitan universities such as mmu or leeds met even if you get a first it will be hard to get a good job.
Reply 7
They apply to crap universities which charge then up £40000 in debt.

So because the courses I want to do aren't offered in the 'top uni's' it makes them crap? Each uni is good in certain subjects.

On courses like business. Art. Media.......

If that's what interests someone, then how can you say they go to uni for 'the sake of it'. Perhaps they have a genuine interest in Art, or Media.

You ask most people why they want to go uni and it will be because of the night life. What's the point of it lol.

The point is, is that if they want to go to uni, no matter what the reason, they can. I get this vibe that you posted this thread just to get the 'I'm better than you because I'm doing x degree at y university' feel.

As far as the debt goes, sure it sucks. But its repayable and the repayment terms are good. I find that the pros of a degree outway the set backs of the loans.
Reply 8
They're exercising free will. They want to go and thus they are going. Is that really so difficult to comprehend?
I am not going to university for the nightlife, I am going because I want to further myself academically and gain a qualification in my area of interest.
Reply 10
which university did he go to? if it was a good reputable uni then the business courses in there are good. the ones that are offered in metropolitan universities such as mmu or leeds met even if you get a first it will be hard to get a good job.

How do you know this?
Why should people who don't get the highest results resign themselves to sitting at home on benefits or working in minimum wage jobs?
Going to university opens many doors including career progression, gaining any sort of employment in the current market and proving determination and life skills.
Oh yes, and there's that word for when people want to have fun-what's it called now.....oh, enjoyment...
Were you an oxbridge graduate OP?
Reply 12
Original post by wannabemed
Why should people who don't get the highest results resign themselves to sitting at home on benefits or working in minimum wage jobs?
Going to university opens many doors including career progression, gaining any sort of employment in the current market and proving determination and life skills.
Oh yes, and there's that word for when people want to have fun-what's it called now.....oh, enjoyment...
Were you an oxbridge graduate OP?

I'm going Manchester uni, first year.
Reply 13

I disagree with the whole comment. If I was an employer and somebody came to me with a first from mmu, and someone else with a 2:2 from Manchester with the same experience , I'd pick the the mmu graduate..
Reply 14
You ask most people why they want to go uni and it will be because of the night life.

Most? I hardly think so...

It was a polytechnic, back in the days when they were called that. Not sure which one though
I find it hard to see why anyone who could wouldn't want to go to uni, it's brilliant.
Reply 17
Original post by Klix88
There are very few jobs for school leavers in the UK and even fewer apprenticeships. If you're capable of undertaking a university course, in all likelihood your only alternative to university is a few years of unemployment. The debt is a huge concern, but that has to be weighed against the fact that at least you'll have a higher qualification to show for it, which hopefully puts you in a better position for finding a job.

Parental pressure is also a factor. The parents of today's school leavers come from a generation where going to university was aspirational and not so much the norm. Added to the fact that in their day, any debts incurred were much smaller and generally the responsibility of the parents. These days the debts might be huge but are the responsibility of the student. I suspect it makes some parents rather more keen on the idea than they would have been a few years ago!

Good post. You've pretty much summed up what I was going to say - no point me replying to the OP now. I agree with everything you've said here :smile:
because **** the so-called "real world".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending