The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Accommodation is just too expensive!

I just think the price to live in exeter halls is too expensive. Is there not many first years living in Opal 1 or Exeter trust house? It must save people around £20-30 a week to live in private accommodation.
Exeter is pretty pricey, but houses aren't much cheaper there.

We looked round some proper scum holes for £85 a week, and places not much better for £100!
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
I just think the price to live in exeter halls is too expensive. Is there not many first years living in Opal 1 or Exeter trust house? It must save people around £20-30 a week to live in private accommodation.

I would imagine the non-university halls are competitively priced eg not much cheaper.

And make sure you compare like with like, especially with regard to length of tenancy, what the internet costs, etc etc.
Original post by nonswimmer
I would imagine the non-university halls are competitively priced eg not much cheaper.

And make sure you compare like with like, especially with regard to length of tenancy, what the internet costs, etc etc.

Oddly its not, internet is free in both:

Non university hall (Ensuite) 43 week (£89 per week)

University hall (Non ensuite-Shared Bathroom) - 40 week (£117 per week)
Well, as you point out, accommodation is expensive. People are free to shop around if they wish. And there are cheaper options than £117 per week. One of the best ways to save money is not to go for the luxury of ensuite.
Well, as you point out, accommodation is expensive. People are free to shop around if they wish. And there are cheaper options than £117 per week. One of the best ways to save money is not to go for the luxury of ensuite.

The one i listed was non ensuite. I just don't want to be sharing a bathroom with 7 people. The £117 was a Birks Grange Townhouse (1 bathroom between 2).
The one i listed was non ensuite. I just don't want to be sharing a bathroom with 7 people. The £117 was a Birks Grange Townhouse (1 bathroom between 2).

Right... but if you are prepared to go shared bathroom, there is plenty of accommodation for much less than £117. The uni caters for a range of budgets and expectations about comforts. Go for Lafrowda, or go private.

And - sharing a bathroom with 7 people is really no problem. Why do you think it would be?
Right... but if you are prepared to go shared bathroom, there is plenty of accommodation for much less than £117. The uni caters for a range of budgets and expectations about comforts. Go for Lafrowda, or go private.

And - sharing a bathroom with 7 people is really no problem. Why do you think it would be?

I've heard awful stuff about Lafrowda although I heard its undergoing renovation. I think i'll stick with Birks grange and just shell out the £800 extra or whatever it is. It's only for one year and I think socially it will be better than private accomodation where it's more likely to be returning students/postgrad. As for the bathroom thing, I just don't particularly want to.
I've heard awful stuff about Lafrowda although I heard its undergoing renovation. I think i'll stick with Birks grange and just shell out the £800 extra or whatever it is. It's only for one year and I think socially it will be better than private accomodation where it's more likely to be returning students/postgrad. As for the bathroom thing, I just don't particularly want to.

Baffled as to why you are complaining that accommodation is too expensive, but you are willing to shell out for a luxury that you will not enjoy in a house in your second and third years. But fair enough.
Baffled as to why you are complaining that accommodation is too expensive, but you are willing to shell out for a luxury that you will not enjoy in a house in your second and third years. But fair enough.

I understand what you're saying but I want to be in decent accommodation, it's not completely about the bathroom. I've heard lafrowda old accommodation is pretty vile.
I live in Birks and while its stupidly expensive, it's really nice.
Original post by Serentonin
I live in Birks and while its stupidly expensive, it's really nice.

That's why I'm thinking of putting it as my first choice. Are you studio, ensuite or townhouse?
That's why I'm thinking of putting it as my first choice. Are you studio, ensuite or townhouse?

I asked for en-suite but cuz I applied late I got a studio. It's fairly big, can leave my bike in here and doesn't get in the way at all, it's very clean and modern, nice cupboard things, decent kitchen, nice bathroom etc. Desk is massive and lovely.
I asked for en-suite but cuz I applied late I got a studio. It's fairly big, can leave my bike in here and doesn't get in the way at all, it's very clean and modern, nice cupboard things, decent kitchen, nice bathroom etc. Desk is massive and lovely.

I don't think I want a studio. I'd be happy with ensuite or townhouse. I'll probably end up applying for a townhouse but a few things are worrying me about living with so many people. Groups forming and people getting left out etc.
I don't think I want a studio. I'd be happy with ensuite or townhouse. I'll probably end up applying for a townhouse but a few things are worrying me about living with so many people. Groups forming and people getting left out etc.

Yeah, go for one that shares a kitchen at least tbh, you don't want to be eating alone! Luckily, our floor in our block are all quite social so we usually cook and then go eat in someones room together, but if it wasn't like that I think it would be really lonely :frown:
Yeah, go for one that shares a kitchen at least tbh, you don't want to be eating alone! Luckily, our floor in our block are all quite social so we usually cook and then go eat in someones room together, but if it wasn't like that I think it would be really lonely :frown:

Ye I'm very cautious of the whole studio thing. I know people who have been in studios where everyone keeps themselves to themselves. I need to think some things over and I need to work out whether I want to spend £5200 on an ensuite or go for a townhouse and hope that the fact there's 12 people is a positive rather than a negative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending