The Student Room Group

Is there a realistic chance of me getting in Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 12lightf
Well marginally worse haha. I did History, English Lit, Philosophy and Spanish and my offer is for History. Well I suppose it is, but it's risky applying to Oxbridge anyway in case you have a bad day when you get interviewed so you can't really get away from risk :/

I actually chose Oxford over Cambridge because I thought the HAT might be an opportunity to do well in place of my mediocre GCSEs and I stand by that because you don't have to do tremendously well in the HAT at least to get an interview. I got 66/100 and that combined with GCSEs that were the worst of anyone I spoke to there to get me an interview. Your call really, there's good reasons to apply to both :smile:

Oh wow, you took hard subjects! And yeah I agree with you there. Never really thought of it like that. Hm, I might consider oxford if I like the place better than Cambridge. I think I'll apply anyway, its only once space! :redface:
Original post by Coke1
Your GCSEs are fine for cambridge.
As said, they care way less about GCSEs than Oxford.

I have 2A*s 6As 1B 1C and have decided to stay clear of Oxford AND Cambridge because I think it will just set me back too much, but if I had 4A*s I would've definitely had a crack at it. Maybe UCL could consider me though!

Anyway, best of luck. Just get those AS grades, get high predictions, have a strong personal statement and interview VERY well.

You should definitely attempt Cambridge if your AS UMS is high - as long as you aren't applying for medicine it would have very little bearing in the face of high UMS scores. It would be a shame not to try because of a few silly A* grades at GCSE (you got mostly As anyway!) UCL probably care more about GCSEs than Cambridge tbh.
Reply 22
Go for it! Cambridge and Oxford are never sure things, even for people who apply with faultless academics (of which there are many). If your personal statement has even a hint of mediocrity to it, however, you will stand almost no chance; so produce an absolutely astonishing statement, and think positively! Good luck.
Original post by Bulbasaur
You should definitely attempt Cambridge if your AS UMS is high - as long as you aren't applying for medicine it would have very little bearing in the face of high UMS scores. It would be a shame not to try because of a few silly A* grades at GCSE (you got mostly As anyway!) UCL probably care more about GCSEs than Cambridge tbh.

Original post by Okhotsk
Go for it! Cambridge and Oxford are never sure things, even for people who apply with faultless academics (of which there are many). If your personal statement has even a hint of mediocrity to it, however, you will stand almost no chance; so produce an absolutely astonishing statement, and think positively! Good luck.

Aw thanks for words of encouragement guys! I will see how my AS' go :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest