The Student Room Group

How do you solve an internet connection/low bandwidth problem?

So, I'm unable to view YouTube videos smoothly on my computer and my sister is having the same problem on her laptop. The video keeps on buffering and that's mainly down to the low bandwidth of Sky Broadband, as the internet browsers that we use are generally fast and other websites work perfectly fine. I did speed tests and both the computer and laptop got 50 kps.

Now, I really want to get this problem fixed, however I don't actually know what to do? Should I contact Sky Broadband?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Kwaku_96
So, I'm unable to view YouTube videos smoothly on my computer and my sister is having the same problem on her laptop. The video keeps on buffering and that's mainly down to the low bandwidth of Sky Broadband, as the internet browsers that we use are generally fast and other websites work perfectly fine. I did speed tests and both the computer and laptop got 50 kps.

Now, I really want to get this problem fixed, however I don't actually know what to do? Should I contact Sky Broadband?

Sky broadband is so bad :frown: but yes, call them, demand them they fix the speed to what they promised it should be.

Are you connected wirelessly? Hows the signal strength? Have you tried using an ethernet cable directly connected to the modem/router and see if thats any help? If the ethernet cable method works, then somethings wrong with your network setup.

I hope you've secured the network with a password and no-one unauthorised is using your network when they shouldn't be.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Does anyone know the contact number for Sky Broadband? Are they avaliable on Saturdays?
Reply 4
If you want an honest answer then I would say you need to move house closer to your nearest BT exchange centre.

People don't seem to realise that your line speed is dictated by how close a distance you property is located to the nearest telephone exchange.

For instance, if your line is capable of up to 1Mbps to your nearest telephone exchange then it doesn't matter if your with Sky, BT, Talk Talk or whoever your with, your line speed will only ever reach 1Mbps and no faster.

Line speed is dictated via a postcode lottery and thats it.

However, your speeds do look extremely low so perhaps there is a problem with your line.
Reply 5
Original post by Tyles
Sky broadband is so bad :frown: but yes, call them, demand them they fix the speed to what they promised it should be.

Never had a problem, personally.

The thing is, Sky aren't to blame for any line issues as they rent the usage of the line and buy bandwidth wholesale from BT. They also don't promise any particular minimum speed - they indicate the speed you should theoretically expect to receive.

50kbps, however, is pretty indicative of serious problems with that connection.
Reply 6
Original post by Mad Vlad
Never had a problem, personally.

The thing is, Sky aren't to blame for any line issues as they rent the usage of the line and buy bandwidth wholesale from BT. They also don't promise any particular minimum speed - they indicate the speed you should theoretically expect to receive.

50kbps, however, is pretty indicative of serious problems with that connection.

So what do you think I should do?
Reply 7
So what do you think I should do?

Phone Sky.
Reply 8
Go to here and tell us your straight line distance to exchange and tell us if you have SKY LLU (5th tab - below the FTTC).
Reply 9
Original post by Rtcw
Go to here and tell us your straight line distance to exchange and tell us if you have SKY LLU (5th tab - below the FTTC).

I've done it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I've done it.

Well, what does it say?
Reply 11
How much bandwidth are you paying for?

My initial thought was a problem with Google's servers (for Youtube). If all other Internet services work, then it doesn't make sense otherwise.

And 50kps?? lol... You have a dial-up modem still? lol.... If you mean mbps, then that's more than enough for Youtube.
I've done it.

Haha useful reply there.

Sometimes by changing internet providers (IPs) will sort the problem out. But it's really down to where you live which decides what internet speed you can get, so there's not really much you can do unless you move house!

Quick Reply

Latest