Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will you correct someone it they wrongly pronounced your name?

Announcements Posted on
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    Assume that your name is Pfeiffer, and instead of calling you Feiffer, they call you P-feiffer.

Or your name is Stephen, but they call you Steven.

Of course this error is minor but would you correct them?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If it's somebody that I may see regularly, I would probably correct them. But if it is somebody who I may never see or talk to again (such as somebody ringing on the phone), I wouldn't bother.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    People often ask me how to pronounce my last name anyway. I used to tell people straight away if they pronounced it wrong. Now I just can't be bothered correcting people all the time. They usually forget anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get people on the phone who mispronounce my name -

"Hello is that Mrs. Goosney / Goffney / Gosnay / Goshney / Godonlyknowswhatever ?"

"Gosney....and yes, speaking...."

so yes, I do.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    My surname gets spelt and pronounced in a multitude of ways and I always have to spell it out if someone is writing it down. If it's a cold caller or someone from a company I don't bother correcting them but if it's someone I'll meet/talk to again I'll correct their pronunciation.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my name is welsh. And frankly the english can't say it. They eventually get it right after pronouncing it a few hundred times/trying to call me a different name altogether.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Assume that your name is Pfeiffer, and instead of calling you Feiffer, they call you P-feiffer.

What's the difference between Stephen and Steven?
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been correcting people since primary school...no signs of stopping :sad:
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    My name is 'Aoife' so it's understandably difficult for people unfamiliar with it to pronounce when they see it written down. I really hate having to correct people but I have to do it all the time or else the wrong pronunciations self-perpetuate and I get called something that isn't my name by swathes of people.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My name is Karl, I hate it when people on bday cards, christmas etc spell my name as Carl, it just feels awful, a feeling that nobody else understands , yes I appreciate the thought and everything but get my name right lol. These people have me added on fb ffs..

There was one other occasion, a christening, when I got chosen as an uncle and they got my second name completely wrong, I didn't go to the stupid christening.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My surname is Innes, it's pronounced inn-es it's forever being pronounced inns or eins. If its someone that I won't see again, and my encounter will only be brief then I won't bother, but normally if someone calls asking for Mr Inns/Eins then I tend to say there's no one known by that name at this address.

People that ill be in contact with a lot ill correct for certain.

I know it sounds pathetic but my reasoning is that no one pronounces Guinness wrong and the only difference is I don't have a gu at the beginning or an s at the end!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep I would and I have.

Does my head in. I'm called Maria and I get called Marie all the friggin time.

Bloody annoying!!!!!

I've even wondered if I'm saying it wrong so people hear me saying Marie, I'm not I know how to say my own name - people are just soooo ahhhhhhhhh. Lost for words!!!! :eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only a few times; if they continue to mispronounce it then I just let them continue. :sigh:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstick)
    Yes, my name is welsh. And frankly the english can't say it. They eventually get it right after pronouncing it a few hundred times/trying to call me a different name altogether.

'Carrotstick', I'm Welsh and when I hear people pronouncing Welsh names the 'English way', it does my head in too. On BB this year there was someone called Rhian and they just called her Rian - hated it!! My daughter also has a Welsh name and that's not pronounced properly by lots of people either.

So I know where you're coming from
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew769)
    What's the difference between Stephen and Steven?
    Sometimes the former is pronounced "steph-en" as in "meth", whilst the latter is pronounced "steve-en" as in "leave".
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)

My name can be pronounced differently dependant upon where you are from, as the J in some countries is pronounced as a Y, I respond to either but always introduce myself using the Swedish pronunciation. When it comes to surname, I will correct them if they spell it wrongly as it can be spelt with a K or C and most Asian or English speaking people tend to forget the double S.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It is the worst when your name is not English and some people can't pronounce it correctly even after you've told it to them several times
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always correct people, even if I won't see them regularly. It's just one of those things, they're probably getting away with calling a load of other people by the wrong name XD Plus they pronounce it in the weirdest ways and sometimes it's so ludicrous that you just have to correct them
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)

Yes, politely.

(Original post by xe_nia)
    It is the worst when your name is not English and some people can't pronounce it correctly even after you've told it to them several times
    Haha, so true My neighbour now calls me a different name to everyone else on the planet (I gave up and said "just call me xyz")

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 11, 2012
New on TSR

£50 in vouchers up for grabs!!!

Post a fun fact and quote in a member to win!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.