The Student Room Group

What am I supposed to do?

Student finance seem to not be giving me my full tuition fee or maintenance loan. On the calculator thing it says I'm entitled to the full amount but all the letters I've been receiving have been saying that I'm only going to be getting £3,564 which makes me £236 short of my rent for the entire year and they're only going to be paying the university £3465 when my course is £7500.

I've been phoning them repeatedly and everything, Monday is enrollment day for me where I need to bring all of the evidence and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with the evidence side of things as I don't have the other £4000 that would be required for the fee and neither do my parents who are under the £10,000 boundary.

Can anyone provide any advice for me please?

*Update* I've sorted out my tuition fee, I checked over my account and apparently someone at student finance cannot read my writing so they just entered a random date into the system which caused the system to think I started the course last year rather than this year, and to think I spent nearly 3 months on the phone trying to sort this out and no one on the other end looking at my account noticed '31/08/2011' when I kept telling them my course officially starts on 24/09/2012
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
for enrollment, just take the letters you currently have so there's proof alone of you applying for funding and then tell your uni that your in talks with student finance about amending the amount.

if your parents are under the £10,000 boundary you should be getting like £6000 for the year with grants etc? have you tried doing a current year assessment? were they earning more a couple of years ago?
Original post by bubblegunk
for enrollment, just take the letters you currently have so there's proof alone of you applying for funding and then tell your uni that your in talks with student finance about amending the amount.

if your parents are under the £10,000 boundary you should be getting like £6000 for the year with grants etc? have you tried doing a current year assessment? were they earning more a couple of years ago?

I'm still worried that they'll ask me for the money and then I'd be like D=

I've tried doing the current year assessment form but there's still been no results :/ If anything they're earning less now compared to a couple of years ago with my dads change of job within the royal mail.

I've tried doing all that but for some reason the system at student finance won't let anything process with the household income assessment and when ever I phone they always have no idea why.
Reply 3
You just have to keep hounding student finance. I've had some issues with them but nothing like this. Their system is pretty crap and they get computer glitches inside the system that they can't do anything about other than fix it manually which is probably why it's taking so long for them to sort your problem out.
Get on the phone to them and don't put the phone down until you know the person on the other end is going to sort your query out. What has probably been happening is that the people you've been speaking to on the other end of the phone have probably just thrown your query into a pile of 'things that need doing' and then your query is getting lost in the system or forgotten about. Don't give up and keep ringing them. They have to get it sorted at some point.
Reply 4
It sounds as though you've been non-income assessed. Have you sent them evidence of your household income?
Original post by OU Student
It sounds as though you've been non-income assessed. Have you sent them evidence of your household income?

Yeah I have been non-income assessed but I've sent them my parents P60's but I don't know why they haven't added it to my account, I was on the phone for an hour to them trying to see what happening but the guy on the other end was as confused as I was.

The maintenance loan I can deal with as I have just about enough to cover it from the savings I've been trying to build up over the past few years and some of my aunts and uncles have said they'll gave me some money towards the costs. I'm more worried about the tuition fee than if I have food for the rest of the year
Original post by thecoverup
You just have to keep hounding student finance. I've had some issues with them but nothing like this. Their system is pretty crap and they get computer glitches inside the system that they can't do anything about other than fix it manually which is probably why it's taking so long for them to sort your problem out.
Get on the phone to them and don't put the phone down until you know the person on the other end is going to sort your query out. What has probably been happening is that the people you've been speaking to on the other end of the phone have probably just thrown your query into a pile of 'things that need doing' and then your query is getting lost in the system or forgotten about. Don't give up and keep ringing them. They have to get it sorted at some point.

Their systems are crap but I think this is just taking the pee now XD
I've been on the phone for the last 4 weeks to them and I've had no results, they only recently found out that someone hadn't read the flag for my parents P60's again and this was about a month later after my loan had been cut down my £2000 but when I was originally phoning them it was to try and sort out my tuition fee but no one seemed to know what the hell was going on D;
I think every operator there knows who I am by number and my name now with the amount of times I've phoned up XD
Reply 7
Original post by AliceElizabeth19
Their systems are crap but I think this is just taking the pee now XD
I've been on the phone for the last 4 weeks to them and I've had no results, they only recently found out that someone hadn't read the flag for my parents P60's again and this was about a month later after my loan had been cut down my £2000 but when I was originally phoning them it was to try and sort out my tuition fee but no one seemed to know what the hell was going on D;
I think every operator there knows who I am by number and my name now with the amount of times I've phoned up XD

I did not realise you had called them quite that many times :/ Well, I can only offer you the best of luck in trying to sort this out. I'm sorry I have no better advice.
I'VE SORTED OUT MY TUITION LOAN!!!

I looked over my online account and I noticed someone on the other end had made a slight bugger up and obviously couldn't read my handwriting so they put a random date from last year in instead of 2012... all the time I spent on the phone and it was just someone who couldn't read my writing >.>

Anywho on with the maintenance loan!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending