The Student Room Group

When does your local club stop being 'local'?

Your club's owners are foreign, the majority of its players are foreign, the manager is foreign, and, in some cases, the minority of supporters who aren't from the local area are slowly becoming a majority.

If there is a measly total of two or three actual local players out of over twenty that play for your club, where does your sense of local pride come from, other than the fact that the stadium is located where you live?

Where is the cut-off point? In other words, what would the club have to do or what would have to happen for you to not call your local club your local club anymore, or for you to completely revoke your support because there's simply not enough/nothing connecting you to it and it might as well just be any other club? Assuming that hasn't happened already.

Scroll to see replies

If you support a Premier League club, this is invariably the case. "Local" is your fellow fanbase, the fellow fans with which you support the club and travel far and wide to do so. Since people that attend games usually continue to do so until their circumstances change, your fellow season ticket holding friends for example probably won't change. The players, managers and staff change, but the things that originally brought you to the club don't change and never will. That's what holds the local feeling to me; local to my heart.
Reply 2
Local surely has to mean down the road...or at least the nearest club at any level of football even if playing football in the conference or lower.

Thus when fans of other Premier League clubs that live 30/40 minutes away, and that club is there nearest "big club" forgetting the three conference sides that are nearer try to claim the moral high ground over say, a Manchester United fan living in London or a Chelsea fan living in the Midlands...they end up with egg on their face.
Original post by dozakh
Your club's owners are foreign, the majority of its players are foreign, the manager is foreign, and, in some cases, the minority of supporters who aren't from the local area are slowly becoming a majority.

If there is a measly total of two or three actual local players out of over twenty that play for your club, where does your sense of local pride come from, other than the fact that the stadium is located where you live?

Where is the cut-off point? In other words, what would the club have to do or what would have to happen for you to not call your local club your local club anymore, or for you to completely revoke your support because there's simply not enough/nothing connecting you to it and it might as well just be any other club? Assuming that hasn't happened already.

I would say that the higher you move up the football ladder in England, the less local your club becomes.

For some people it doesn't matter - they'll support Man Utd/Liverpool/chelsea etc and live nowhere near those places, in that sense it clearly doesn't matter to some. Others, like myself would be embarrassed to support a team that wasn't 'local'.

I basically support who my dad took me to see as a kid, Nottingham Forest. My local team is probably technically a really small Nottingham team in the very lower leagues of Nottinghamshire football though.

I think the actual shirt the players wear is far more important than the owners, or players. Honestly I could not care less who is playing for Forest as long as we compete. I'm a cynic, why get attached to these people when they will (rightly or wrongly) move on at the first hint of more money.
Reply 4
Never.
Reply 5
When they become MK Dons?
Reply 6
Original post by Eboracum

That old chestnut. When fans of inferior clubs realise they have nothing on Manchester United, because they are the best, so they resort to the glory hunting arguments. Goodness, supporting a club like Newcastle United must be a boring life.

He's got a point though. Support your local club or dont even bother if you ask me :colonhash:
Original post by Eboracum
That old chestnut. When fans of inferior clubs realise they have nothing on Manchester United, because they are the best, so they resort to the glory hunting arguments. Goodness, supporting a club like Newcastle United must be a boring life.

He's right though.

You're from outside of Manchester, you support a team from Manchester... why?

And this is a rhetorical question by the way, so it doesn't apply to you if you follow your local team. But if you don't, it's meant for you.
Original post by Zürich
He's got a point though. Support your local club or dont even bother if you ask me :colonhash:

I agree, but it's not just Manchester United fans who are guilty of this, and Arsenal certainly aren't a club who should be trying to take any form of moral high ground on the issue.
Original post by Zürich

Define local club.

Also, do you just eat food grown and made in London? Do you just date girls born and raised in London? If not, why not? Same principal with supporting a football club.

I'd be willing to bet my life on if I told somebody that I support Accrington Stanley because my Dad does, despite neither of us having any real ties there, he just met one of their footballers and played passies with him when he was an infant. Nobody would bat an eyelid and it would be fair enough. Change the team to Manchester United however and suddenly me and my family are glory supporters...
Original post by DaveSmith99
I agree, but it's not just Manchester United fans who are guilty of this, and Arsenal certainly aren't a club who should be trying to take any form of moral high ground on the issue.

Well Arsenal certainly qualify as my local team, and I can't control who decides to glory hunt. It genuinely annoys me when someone from Shepherd's Bush supports Arsenal or when someone from Kentish Town supports Chelsea for no good reason. The world would be a better place if everyone stopped glory hunting, even though it would hurt clubs like Utd/Arsenal hugely.

Original post by SirMasterKey
Define local club.

Also, do you just eat food grown and made in London? Do you just date girls born and raised in London? If not, why not? Same principal with supporting a football club.

I'd be willing to bet my life on if I told somebody that I support Accrington Stanley because my Dad does, despite neither of us having any real ties there, he just met one of their footballers and played passies with him when he was an infant. Nobody would bat an eyelid and it would be fair enough. Change the team to Manchester United however and suddenly me and my family are glory supporters...

It can be a gray area, but if you're not from Greater Manchester then you shouldn't be a Utd fan imo. Im sure glory hunters can be just as passionate as locals, but it all feels a bit plastic to me.
(edited 11 years ago)
Define local club.

No it's not, at all. Do you go to grounds all over the country, experiencing each club before choosing one to support based on match day experience? If the answer is no, don't compare supporting a football club with dating a girl.

Because there is no glory to hunt with Accrington, isn't that, like, obvious? :rolleyes:

If it wasn't for success in the early 90's and the marketing from Sky the vast majority of non-local Man U 'fans' would not support Man U. That is a fact.

Manchester lads despise fans like you.
Original post by Zürich
Well Arsenal certainly qualify as my local team, and I can't control who decides to glory hunt. It genuinely annoys me when someone from Shepherd's Bush supports Arsenal or when someone from Kentish Town supports Chelsea. The world would be a better place if everyone stopped glory hunting, even though it would hurt clubs like Utd/Arsenal hugely.

Still waiting for a definition of local team. For instance, where I now live in Kent, does that mean I should support Gillingham, the nearest Football League side? Or should I support the nearest team in the whole of the English football pyramid- Ashford United, currently residing in the Kent Invicta League?
Original post by Wilfred Little

Because there is no glory to hunt with Accrington, isn't that, like, obvious? :rolleyes:

If it wasn't for success in the early 90's and the marketing from Sky the vast majority of non-local Man U 'fans' would not support Man U. That is a fact.

Manchester lads despise fans like you.

Well, that was the point. 'Glory hunting' is the only time whenever the whole 'support your local club' argument seems to arise.

I'm not disputing that as a fact, however seems as I never even remember making a conscious decision in choosing my team, I think it would be fair to say I would still be supporting United regardless of what had happened to them in my life time because I've followed my father into football. I also couldn't give a monkeys what other people think of me to be honest. :h:
Well, that was the point. 'Glory hunting' is the only time whenever the whole 'support your local club' argument seems to arise.

I'm not disputing that as a fact, however seems as I never even remember making a conscious decision in choosing my team, I think it would be fair to say I would still be supporting United regardless of what had happened to them in my life time because I've followed my father into football. I also couldn't give a monkeys what other people think of me to be honest. :h:

Doesn't really prove anything. Where's your dad from? If he's from Manchester then fine (although I've heard loads of Man U fans use this excuse) but if the answer isn't Manchester then why does he support Man U. Is it cos they were the most successful team in the 60's when he was growing up? :wink:
Original post by Zürich
Well Arsenal certainly qualify as my local team, and I can't control who decides to glory hunt. It genuinely annoys me when someone from Shepherd's Bush supports Arsenal or when someone from Kentish Town supports Chelsea for no good reason. The world would be a better place if everyone stopped glory hunting, even though it would hurt clubs like Utd/Arsenal hugely.

I agree, most Londoners are ***** though no offense, you can't claim to support your local team if you're from London and support Arsenal. It's 22 miles across one side of London to the other. You wouldn't say you support your local team if your club is based 22 miles away. Manchester is 22 miles away from where I live (Halifax) for example. If you're from a 1-2 miles away from the Arsenal ground then fair enough, otherwise no, because there is a plethora of football clubs in London.
(edited 11 years ago)
Doesn't really prove anything. Where's your dad from? If he's from Manchester then fine (although I've heard loads of Man U fans use this excuse) but if the answer isn't Manchester then why does he support Man U. Is it cos they were the most successful team in the 60's when he was growing up? :wink:

Same place as me, Tees-side. The clue should actually have been in the story I wrote. When he was an infant he met and played with Bobby Charlton in a street (Charlton was visiting his family, just as my Dad was visiting his). When my Dad found out just who he was, he followed United.
Reply 17
--
(edited 11 years ago)
I agree, most Londoners are ***** though no offense, you can't claim to support your local team if you're from London and support Arsenal. It's 22 miles across one side of London to the other. You wouldn't say you support your local team if your club is based 22 miles away. Manchester is 22 miles away from where I live (Halifax) for example. If you're from a 1-2 miles away from the Arsenal ground then fair enough, otherwise no, because there is a plethora of football clubs in London.

Grew up within 20 minutes walk of Highbury. Currently live around 2 miles away. :smile:

Agree that London is a strange case. But in general, if you live close enough to go to the game every week then its local enough.
Original post by xDave-
Grow up and go away, thanks. The latter will suffice, as you're probably incapable of the first part.

:laugh:

Original post by Zürich
Grew up within 20 minutes walk of Highbury. Currently live around 2 miles away. :smile:

Agree that London is a strange case. But in general, if you live close enough to go to the game every week then its local enough.

You're fine then :smile:. It's the people who live in places like Stockwell and Croydon supporting Arsenal that I'm on about.

Quick Reply

Latest