The Student Room Group

Multiculturalism- what happens when......?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dj1015
Some Islamic cultures it is considered okay to rape, murder and steal.

Original post by dj1015
And why are they "primitive tribal communities"....

Because their Islamic.*

Look at Muslim populations in the UK, again similar behavioral patterns emerge.

Actually you'll find we have the strictest rules against all these things.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by loisJlane
I don't think it's right to call another culture wrong or bad. There are pros and cons to every culture but most of the time we don't see the problems in our own culture because we are so used to it.

Only idiots fail to see the flaws in their own culture.

That doesn't make cultural relativism any less stupid.

There are cultures that contain elements that many of us (IMO quite rightly) view as archaic and wrong.
Reply 42
I think, as many others on this thread have already said, that there is going to be a significant backlash to multiculturalism. At the moment if one disagrees with multiculturalism then you autumatically get called a racist - that word has lost all definition due to politics.

Groups like the EDL and BNP are quite disgusting for many of their views and their methods of going about, but some of their key principles like anti-immigration and anti-multiculturalism are ones which many people hold. But its a shame that those ideas are now associated with the likes of the extremist groups.

But in the future I can definitely see a rise in groups like those in response to our influx of immigrants, and it won't be a pretty sight when the two clash.
Reply 43
I think, as many others on this thread have already said, that there is going to be a significant backlash to multiculturalism. At the moment if one disagrees with multiculturalism then you autumatically get called a racist - that word has lost all definition due to politics.

Groups like the EDL and BNP are quite disgusting for many of their views and their methods of going about, but some of their key principles like anti-immigration and anti-multiculturalism are ones which many people hold. But its a shame that those ideas are now associated with the likes of the extremist groups.

But in the future I can definitely see a rise in groups like those in response to our influx of immigrants, and it won't be a pretty sight when the two clash.
Original post by billydisco
Are there parts of Africa where rape/murder/theft occurs more frequently? Are there other parts of the world where the sanctity of life is not valued as much as in the UK?

You tell me(with proof) You're the one making the accusations

Do you even know the difference between race and culture?

The definition of both racism and xenophobia mention the word "culture" a fair bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia

So yes, you are a racist if you think it's the norm in other countries to rape, murder and steal. No country allows that
Reply 45
Original post by de_monies
So yes, you are a racist if you think it's the norm in other countries to rape, murder and steal. No country allows that

Once again, another "less intelligent" person here who cannot read between the lines and needs to be spoon-fed.

I did not say any countries legally allow murder/rape/theft- I said it happens very often within their cultures. See the difference? :wink:
Reply 46
Original post by flyylikejetz
Multiculturalism is a good thing lets not get it twisted it is just a few bad ones in the mix who spoil it and people who support parties like the BNP jump on these people and use it to fuel their discreditable arguments

Murder/rape/theft aside, regarding particular social issues I would say that most people of a culture are not different.

For example, (and I cannot be exactly sure which "culture" they are from) there are a lot of people in a particular area in the UK where they wander around the streets and simply pick up anything which isn't tied down/bolted to a wall. This is normal to them- this is their culture and its not "just a few" from their particular culture who do this- it is normal in their country to just pick up things if they see then. However, here they cannot do that...... and there have been confrontations when "natives'" property have gone missing because the "non-natives" have a habit of simply seeing things and taking it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Once again, another "less intelligent" person here who cannot read between the lines and needs to be spoon-fed.

I did not say any countries legally allow murder/rape/theft- I said it happens very often within their cultures. See the difference? :wink:

No you said it's normal for that to happen, and it's not. You've still yet to provide proof. Rape, murder and theft also happen here as well. It's not something unique to other countries
Reply 48
Original post by de_monies
You tell me(with proof) You're the one making the accusations

Oh got to love it. You know when someone is down because they have to revert to the "erm...... show me proof (of something where there probably aren't official statistics".

Here's your proof, walk around Somalia or South Africa late at night on your own (assuming you're white, for maximum effect)......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_violence_in_South_Africa

and thats only a for country like South Africa....
Original post by dj1015
Some Islamic cultures it is considered okay to rape, murder and steal.

In NO Islamic culture is it considered okay to rape, murder and steal. And I have no idea what culture you had in mind when you posted that.
Oh got to love it. You know when someone is down because they have to revert to the "erm...... show me proof (of something where there probably aren't official statistics".

No, the done thing here is you make the claim, you provide the proof.

Here's your proof, walk around Somalia or South Africa late at night on your own (assuming you're white, for maximum effect)......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_violence_in_South_Africa

and thats only a for country like South Africa....

In that entire article it mentions culture like twice. It mentions a culture of patriarchy, but for you to tar ALL South Africans like that, that is racist.

It's also not proof that it is deemed "normal" just that they are among the highest amount in the world
Original post by amvirusalert
In NO Islamic culture is it considered okay to rape, murder and steal. And I have no idea what culture you had in mind when you posted that.

Honour killings count as murder and in my eyes, forced and/or underaged marriage counts as rape. Normal enough occurrences in countries like Pakistan? No? Is it or is not not true that if a father murders his daughter because she "dishonoured" her family, the law treats him leniently?

I love how every time someone points out the bad bits in Middle Eastern cultures/Islam, a horde of muslims come on and basically try to justify these actions. Isn't this culture/religion (it's almost indistinguishable) currently causing a load of ball ache for half the world right now?

As long as these people try to hold onto every aspects of their culture in the UK, there will be problems. Christ, imagine if my community tried drowning our baby girls at birth in the UK or starting butchering pet dogs - there would be an uproar! I don't see why certain cultures should be immune to scrutiny.
Original post by SkinnyKat
The UK is too soft on these issues and go to major lengths to accommodate undesirable cultures (or parts of cultures). I have mixed views on multiculturalism; on one hand, I know it's very important as we now lived in a global society. Because of air travel, the world is now more accessible than ever and it's inevitable than people will move around. On the other hand, some cultures are causing large amounts of social trouble for the UK and it's gunna lead to riots in the future if something isn't done.

My solution is to come down hard on undesirable aspects of a culture whilst welcoming/not minding the good parts. I come from two cultures (British and Chinese) and I don't see a problem with combining the two. For example, from my Chinese side, I'll take the cuisine and emphasis on education and family - I'll leave the mental politics and skinning animals alive thing they do in China, it has no place in the UK and it should stay that way. I don't like the drinking culture of the English so I don't get drunk, it's no problem. I simply pick and choose which bits I like.

I've never understood why people are so sensitive when it comes to culture. Maybe it's because of my background, but I see a clear distinction between race and culture which many people don't - probably why it's such a controversial topic. It's very provoking when foreign people settle in the UK and demand that they follow their own culture (nasty bits included) and laws of their original country, makes one wonder why they came to the UK in the first place. It's also very obvious which groups are the problem but no one wants to say it...

I will leave my views out of it but what I can say is fairly evident is the lack of a problem with cultures like that of the Chinese/ Japanese/ Korean and the like.

We hear so much negativity about pretty much every other culture but nobody ever has a bone to pick with these cultures and they never provide reason to. I think they are the perfect example and it's fantastic.

I think you are completely spot on in your views though, I don't see why everybody can't just be like you and pick and choose the right parts, having it good for yourself and not upsetting anybody else along the way.
Honour killings count as murder and in my eyes, forced and/or underaged marriage counts as rape. Normal enough occurrences in countries like Pakistan? No? Is it or is not not true that if a father murders his daughter because she "dishonoured" her family, the law treats him leniently?

I love how every time someone points out the bad bits in Middle Eastern cultures/Islam, a horde of muslims come on and basically try to justify these actions. Isn't this culture/religion (it's almost indistinguishable) currently causing a load of ball ache for half the world right now?

As long as these people try to hold onto every aspects of their culture in the UK, there will be problems. Christ, imagine if my community tried drowning our baby girls at birth in the UK or starting butchering pet dogs - there would be an uproar! I don't see why certain cultures should be immune to scrutiny.

I agree that honour killing counts as murder, however, they are rare occurrences in Pakistan, not normal occurrences. And even though it may occur rarely in places such as Pakistan, it is not considered 'okay'.

I am not trying to justify these actions, rather I am disagreeing that it is consider 'okay' by people, because it isn't. If there wasnt constant attacks on Islam/Muslims there would be no uproar by our people.
Reply 54

9/11
It's also very obvious which groups are the problem but no one wants to say it...

In another thread you quite comically tried to claim that Muslims in the UK are not a law abiding group, and we all know what happened after that.

I don't know what country you're living in, but everytime we hear on the news about a forced marriage or an honour killing there is an uproar and they're not immune to scrutiny.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Historicity

Thanks! I think overseas East Asians manage to hold a good balance between two cultures and although integration is not 100%, there is evidence of some intermarriage and mixing - in many British Chinese families, there are half English cousins/aunts/uncles and there is no hostility from either side (well, only in the beginning, not after the baby has been born LOL). In general, we get along and any differences are something to be laughed at and then got over.

They aren't as rare as you make them out to be. There are some practices that are acceptable in the Pakistani culture which are NOT acceptable in the UK. The treatment of women and underage marriage, for example. You can't pretend it isn't happening, you can't say your culture is blameless and it's all a Western conspiracy. There is very little integration between people of the Pakistani culture and the rest of the UK population. For example, British Pakistani men and women routinely find a spouse overseas instead of finding one here. We have freedom of speech here, yes, including criticisms of Islam and your prophet. You may not like it, but living here, you have to accept it. Britain cannot and should not cater to every whim of foreign cultures.
The UK is too soft on these issues and go to major lengths to accommodate undesirable cultures (or parts of cultures). I have mixed views on multiculturalism; on one hand, I know it's very important as we now lived in a global society. Because of air travel, the world is now more accessible than ever and it's inevitable than people will move around. On the other hand, some cultures are causing large amounts of social trouble for the UK and it's gunna lead to riots in the future if something isn't done.

My solution is to come down hard on undesirable aspects of a culture whilst welcoming/not minding the good parts. I come from two cultures (British and Chinese) and I don't see a problem with combining the two. For example, from my Chinese side, I'll take the cuisine and emphasis on education and family - I'll leave the mental politics and skinning animals alive thing they do in China, it has no place in the UK and it should stay that way. I don't like the drinking culture of the English so I don't get drunk, it's no problem. I simply pick and choose which bits I like.

I've never understood why people are so sensitive when it comes to culture. Maybe it's because of my background, but I see a clear distinction between race and culture which many people don't - probably why it's such a controversial topic. It's very provoking when foreign people settle in the UK and demand that they follow their own culture (nasty bits included) and laws of their original country, makes one wonder why they came to the UK in the first place. It's also very obvious which groups are the problem but no one wants to say it...

Interesting analysis. Having spent a lot of time in asia (more Japan, but also China and Hong Kong), my feeling is that the chinese are 'reinventing' their culture. For example, much chinese culture used to be centred around confucianism and buddhist ideology, until Mao and the communists destroyed it. Then, chinese culture developed around the communist ideal. It was still 'Chinese' in western eyes, but it was very different to the China of the imperial past. Now, China is undergoing more cultural change, as it enters capitalist consuimerism, and almost my default, adopting to western values- which is why they seem compatible. There isn't an ideological friction, simply because the economic properties of each region are basically the same- and in a generation, the chinese work ethic will probably die out, as the communist-based ideology of 'work work work' will fizzle out.

anyway, you'll find that most people 'pick and choose' between cultures, including those people that some of TSR have a problem with.
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
In another thread you quite comically tried to claim that Muslims in the UK are not a law abiding group, and we all know what happened after that.

I don't know what country you're living in, but everytime we hear on the news about a forced marriage or an honour killing there is an uproar and they're not immune to scrutiny.

Yes, I think you'll find the majority of the British population agree with my views. Nothing happened in the other thread, you idiot. Just a bunch of muslims trying to defend their crimes.

And of course there is an uproar! From the White British and other minorities who think honour killings are barbaric. Silence from muslims.

You're completely blind to the faults of your religion and culture, even if it means endangering other people. I really want to ask why you'd want to live in the UK at all, wouldn't you be more comfortable in a muslim country? Genuine question.
Yes, I think you'll find the majority of the British population agree with my views.

I don't think so, you have to prove it before making such claims, just like your claim that most Muslims in the UK aren't law abiding. I'm waiting for that proof too.

Nothing happened in the other thread, you idiot.

You're 'post' got torn apart and destroyed, and you didn't reply.

Just a bunch of muslims trying to defend their crimes.

:facepalm2:

And of course there is an uproar! From the White British and other minorities who think honour killings are barbaric. Silence from muslims.

Nonsense

Spoiler

You're completely blind to the faults of your religion and culture, even if it means endangering other people.

:rofl2: Proof?

I really want to ask why you'd want to live in the UK at all, wouldn't you be more comfortable in a muslim country? Genuine question.

Erm..because I like the UK? Let me guess, you assume just because I'm Muslim that I hate the UK and want to impose Sharia law on the population. Talk about some serious prejudice.
I'm not even the one complaining about the UK, you are actually.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending