The Student Room Group

Right now our future life long friends are out there

.. and they don't even know we exist, likewise.

I've been thinking about this alot recently. You're torn between two Universities, you chose one, go through freshers and University life and have a group of friends. But then wonder about the other path, and the group of friends you'd have met who now will never know you exist. I've been wondering about the impact on your life chosing certain Universities have, obviously you can never predict what will happen but how there's a group of people you'd be best friends with but now aren't.

And also how we go to Open Days, to the course tasters and around us are probably our future friends who we'll spend the rest of our lives around.

Just found this interesting, maybe I should have taken Philosophy :colondollar:
Who said you make life long friends at university?
I understand where you're coming from. I had my heart set on Aston Uni but went to a visit day post-offer at Loughborough and fell in love with the place (I don't even like sport). I met one of my best friends here, and my boyfriend - both came via clearing or insurance. My life would have been completely different if I'd not bothered with the open day or if they'd met their grades for their firms.
Reply 3
I know what you mean. You can give that argument for anything you do in life too. The slightest little change of choice can change how your entire future pans out, it really gives you something to think about.
Similar story to MeltingSugar - I had my heart set on going to Southampton for months, but then on results day switched to a completely different university on the same day. I joined a armed forces university unit, and I now want to enter into the career - but what if I had gone to Southampton and never heard of the unit?? Not only would I have completely different friends, I would be on a different career path.
This is true.

I've just graduated, and keep hoping and praying that the group of strange people I've amassed over college/uni life will part to reveal a group of cultured, clever and sensible individuals.. but no, I think we're stuck with each other :biggrin:.
Reply 6
Original post by Airfairy
I know what you mean. You can give that argument for anything you do in life too. The slightest little change of choice can change how your entire future pans out, it really gives you something to think about.

Yeah it does :smile:

Original post by bittersweet16
Similar story to MeltingSugar - I had my heart set on going to Southampton for months, but then on results day switched to a completely different university on the same day. I joined a armed forces university unit, and I now want to enter into the career - but what if I had gone to Southampton and never heard of the unit?? Not only would I have completely different friends, I would be on a different career path.

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
This is true.

I've just graduated, and keep hoping and praying that the group of strange people I've amassed over college/uni life will part to reveal a group of cultured, clever and sensible individuals.. but no, I think we're stuck with each other :biggrin:.

Original post by Melting Sugar.
I understand where you're coming from. I had my heart set on Aston Uni but went to a visit day post-offer at Loughborough and fell in love with the place (I don't even like sport). I met one of my best friends here, and my boyfriend - both came via clearing or insurance. My life would have been completely different if I'd not bothered with the open day or if they'd met their grades for their firms.

Interesting posts people :smile:

Especially Bittetsweet who'd have a totally different career path right now
that is so weird, i keep thinking about this too... it's so creepy... what if you've missed out on something? you'll never know! it can apply to everything though. like for example, what is the future father/mother of your kids doing RIGHT this second?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Bellissima
that is so weird, i keep thinking about this too... it's so creepy... what if you've missed out on something? you'll never know! it can apply to everything though. like for example, what is the future father/mother of your kids doing RIGHT this second?

yeah I know. But obviously University is where it becomes most apparent.

Haha we're so in tune
Reply 9
I thought this too,

but then I remembered I am forever alone.

Turn Left
Reply 11
Could be? Or is? :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by + polarity -
Turn Left

No because then the entire Universe gets destroyed
I know what you mean- but at the same time I would say this is "thinking too much", just take things as it comes, you'll only compromise yourself and potentially your own sense of happiness at whatever you do have if you continuously think this way.
People suck.
Original post by Cutmeloose
Who said you make life long friends at university?

Exactly this, my good man.
So's my sexy husband :sexface:
My accommodation application got messed up, and I ended up in completely different halls than I applied for. On my first night I met my boyfriend, we're about to celebrate our 2 year anniversary and are living together. Sometimes I think what would have happened if my accommodation application hadn't got lost!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending