Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The vikings were the greatest civilisation

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    And made Britain what we are. They are underappreciated, and we have succumbed to silly pseudo-sophisticated roman/jewish influences, not to mention christainity which in reality is not where we are from, we have been disconnected from our original spiritual origins. To say Islam, hinduism etc don't belong here is really based on a bias that christianity is our origin when actually it isn't.
    I'd rather pray to the viking god of Thor since that is my origin.
    I'm making a serious point as well, that I want peole to think on.
    Have we genuinely lost something of our real nature and origins, and were the vikings the greatest, would Scandinavia be where our true nature lies, something spiritual? Have these other influences diluted us in a corrupting way, are they pseudo-sophisticated and morally destitute?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Troll post?

You probably are only saying you want to pray to Thor due to the influence of the Hollywood movie / the comic.

Most "indigenous" English people's blood is Anglo-Saxon and Celtic, and is Viking far less.

The Vikings may have had an interesting religion, but they were evil dicks who sailed around raping and pillaging and murdering, rather than getting a proper job. To compare the sophistication of their culture and society to that of Ancient Rome is laughable.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on where you are from, some areas of Britain were settled by the vikings while others were barely touched by them however our cultural heritage certainly doesn't solely come from the vikings although they probably did have some influence.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    Troll post?

You probably are only saying you want to pray to Thor due to the influence of the Hollywood movie / the comic.

Most "indigenous" English people's blood is Anglo-Saxon and Celtic, and is Viking far less.

The Vikings may have had an interesting religion, but they were evil dicks who sailed around raping and pillaging and murdering, rather than getting a proper job. To compare the sophistication of their culture and society to that of Ancient Rome is laughable.
    Or you know, they weren't an effete, pretentious bunch of sissies. Celtic is ambiguous, saxon yes, but the saxons are actually genetically from the Danish-Germna border and virtually identical to normans and vikings.

I haven;t seen the movie, I'm talking about knowing my genetic stock and mentality and feeling a genuine spiritual disconnect from my own nation, where it's interest and way of being have formed, and sensing where that missing identity comes from and the influences which I do not believe in-it's obvious to me, our emotions, spirit come from our genes.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather pray to Loki
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think the germans were the greatest civilisation, a small nation of people who almost managed to single handed defeat all the greatest powers around them and take over the world.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Greatest civilisation, Mongols?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    I think the germans were the greatest civilisation, a small nation of people who almost managed to single handed defeat all the greatest powers around them and take over the world.
    I was talking further into the past in time scale. But Germany wasn't that small.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The original settlers of Britain were a basque people from the Iberian peninsula and it is those ancestors that we are most closely related to (genetically speaking). Only the Saxons settled Britain in large enough numbers to a have a significant impact on the contemporary population of Britain. Even then, their influence was limited mainly to the South East of England. The Vikings had little to no impact on the peoples of the British Isles.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futility)
    The original settlers of Britain were a basque people from the Iberian peninsula and it is those ancestors that we are most closely related to (genetically speaking). Only the Saxons settled Britain in large enough numbers to a have a significant impact on the contemporary population of Britain. Even then, their influence was limited mainly to the South East of England. The Vikings had little to no impact on the peoples of the British Isles.
    I agree, but viking and saxons played a considerable part and my point on judeo-christian gods stands, they did not have 'no impact'. In fact Scotland was hugely influenced by them, and they have achieved a huge amount.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    I agree, but viking and saxons played a considerable part and my point on judeo-christian gods stands, they did not have 'no impact'. In fact Scotland was hugely influenced by them, and they have achieved a huge amount.
    Was Scotland more influenced by Vikings than England was? I've heard people say that an independent Scotland should be considered a Nordic country, but I don't really see why it has any more claim to being Nordic than England or Ireland. Vikings invaded and settled in all of them to some extent right?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And made Britain what we are. They are underappreciated, and we have succumbed to silly pseudo-sophisticated roman/jewish influences, not to mention christainity which in reality is not where we are from, we have been disconnected from our original spiritual origins. To say Islam, hinduism etc don't belong here is really based on a bias that christianity is our origin when actually it isn't.
    Have we genuinely lost something of our real nature and origins, and were the vikings the greatest, would Scandinavia be where our true nature lies, something spiritual? Have these other influences diluted us in a corrupting way, are they pseudo-sophisticated and morally destitute?
    Attitudes in ancient Europe

Most ancient writers were from the Southern European civilisations, and generally took the view that people living in the north of their lands were barbarians. Pale skin and light hair were described as signs of barbarism by Polemon of Laodicea in his book Physiognomica.[5]Pseudo-Aristotle[6] noted differences between Greeks and the people of the north, believing that Greek superiority was visible in their medium skin tone, as opposed to pale northerners and dark southerners and Africans. Aristotle himself claimed that blue eyes had less liquid in them than darker eyes, and that they indicated poor eyesight, especially in dayl
    Despite this, Aphrodite was often depicted with blonde hair, as were deities associated with the sun.[8] Likewise, the Roman historian Tacitus idealized the Germanic tribes (which he considered autochthonous to their land) for qualities such as superior warlike ardor and chastity, in contrast to the Romans of his day - though his portrait is not unmixed - as he also portrays them as incurably lazy and addicted to gambling.[9][10]

Many Romans believed that fair features were beautiful. Wealthy Romans paid for blond and red wigs made from the hair of captured Germanics or Celts.[11]

Spanish Queen Isabella I of Castile shows "Nordic" characteristics: blonde hair, blue eyes, and pale skin.
    Renaissance

During the Renaissance, blonde hair, blue eyes, and pale skin were regularly portrayed in literature as signs of beauty and were associated with noble moral qualities.[12] This imagery was largely aesthetic. It was not typically theorised in terms of racial difference, drawing instead on traditional symbolism of light as opposed to darkness.

Enlightenment

From the 17th century onwards, as Central and Northern European countries became more powerful, and their people began to adapt such aesthetic traditions into arguments for their own superiority. Benjamin Franklin proposed a clear distinction between "white" Europeans and "swarthy" Europeans, stating that immigration to the newly-born United States should favour the "white" Saxons and Englishmen rather than the "swarthy", Germans (except the Saxons), Italians, French, Russians, Spaniards, and Swedes.[13]

19th century racial thought

By the early-19th century these ideas were attached to emerging theories of racial hierarchy. The German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer attributed civilisational primacy to the "white races" who gained their sensitivity and intelligence by refinement in the rigorous north:

The highest civilisation and culture, apart from the ancient Hindus and Egyptians, are found exclusively among the white races; and even with many dark peoples, the ruling caste or race is fairer in colour than the rest and has, therefore, evidently immigrated, for example, the Brahmans, the Incas, and the rulers of the South Sea Islands.[14]

Aryanism

The Roman emperor Augustus. H.F.K. Günther (1927) argued that the description of Augustus in Suetonius' Lives of twelve Caesars suggested that he displayed "Nordic qualities" (e.g. that he was "fair", had "light eyes" and a "mild expression").[15]
    Such arguments became especially significant when allied to the theory of Aryanism in the mid-19th century. This theory held that native speakers of the Indo-European languages ("Aryans") are an innately superior branch of humanity, responsible for most of its greatest achievements.

Its principal proponent was Arthur de Gobineau in his Essay on the Inequality of the Human Races (1855). Though Gobineau did not equate Nordic peoples with Aryans, he argued that Germanic people were the best modern representatives of the Aryan race. Adapting the comments of Tacitus and other Roman writers, he argued that "pure" Northerners regenerated Europe after the Roman empire declined due to racial "dilution" of its leadership.

By the 1880s a number of linguists and anthropologists argued that the Aryans themselves had originated somewhere in northern Europe. Theodor Poesche proposed that the Aryans originated in the vast Rokitno, or Pinsk Marshes, then in the Russian Empire, now covering much of the southern part of Belarus and the north-west of the Ukraine, but it was Karl Penka who popularized the idea that the Aryans had emerged in Scandinavia and could be identified by the distinctive Nordic characteristics of blond hair and blue eyes.

The distinguished biologist Thomas Henry Huxley agreed with him, coining the term "Xanthochroi" to refer to fair-skinned Europeans, as opposed to darker Mediterranean peoples, whom Huxley called "Melanochroi".[16][17] It was Huxley who also concluded that the Melanochroi (Peoples of the Mediterranean race), who he described as "dark whites", are of a mixture of the Xanthochroi anp

This distinction was repeated by Charles Morris in his book The Aryan Race (1888), which argued that the original Aryans could be identified by their blond hair and other Nordic features, such as dolichocephaly (long skull). The argument was given extra impetus by the French anthropologist Vacher de Lapouge in his book L’Aryen, in which he argued that the "dolichocephalic-blond" peoples were natural leaders, destined to rule over more brachycephalic (short-skulled) peoples.[19]

The philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche also referred in his writings to "blond beasts": amoral adventurers who were supposed to be the progenitors of creative cultures.[20] In On the Genealogy of Morals (1887), he wrote, "In Latin malus ... could indicate the vulgar man as the dark one, especially as the black-haired one, as the pre-Aryan dweller of the Italian soil which distinguished itself most clearly through his colour from the blonds who became their masters, namely the Aryan conquering race."[21]

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    Theyre hardly a small nation and they certainly didnt come anywhere near taking over the world?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Theyre hardly a small nation and they certainly didnt come anywhere near taking over the world?
    The Nordic race is the superior race because they had to innovate to be able to survive the freezing conditions and are therefore the most resilient in evolutionary terms. They are descended from the Arya race in India. Before Nazi Germany when the debate about race was completely normal, and before the "false reality" of post-modernism, the consensus was that the Nordic race was the smartest and the highest order of races.

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I started reading and assumed Roman/Jewish influence meant religion, but you said not to mention Christianity so what part of British culture did you mean? I'm not sure the Vikings were a particularly great culture though.

(Original post by between_the_lies)
    The Nordic race is the superior race because they had to innovate to be able to survive the freezing conditions and are therefore the most resilient in evolutionary terms. They are descended from the Arya race in India. Before Nazi Germany when the debate about race was completely normal, and before the "false reality" of post-modernism, the consensus was that the Nordic race was the smartest and the highest order of races.

What about ethnicities which aren't Nordic or even white which had to battle cold temperature?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:

Erm, what about Wessex? Aka West Sax? Aka south west England? Discounting Cornwall and half of Devon of course, but that's a tiny area anyway.

Even then there were Saxon mercenaries up in Northumbria fighting the Picts and Scots.

And as for the vikings having no influence then there was the Kingdom of Jorvik, aka Yorkshire, in the north of England and viking settlers in the east of Scotland.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugar-n-spice)
    I started reading and assumed Roman/Jewish influence meant religion, but you said not to mention Christianity so what part of British culture did you mean? I'm not sure the Vikings were a particularly great culture though.

What about ethnicities which aren't Nordic or even white which had to battle cold temperature?
    I am sure that in an evolutionary context they are also amongst the most resilient, however I was referring to the consensus from the days when race debates were commonplace.

• 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, enforcing Danish law and governance (Danelaw) on an entire chunk of central and Eastern Anglo-Saxon England clearly had no impact on the people of these areas...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Did you watch that programme on the BBC by any chance?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by between_the_lies)

What does that have to do with what i said?:s
    So what about other races that livedin hostile climates? Im pretty sure those in Russia, northern America/Canada etc. didnt have it easy.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 25, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.