The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
~Kirsty~
I read somewhere (on the SAAS site for scottish students) that they can get bursary for 2 years, and just the loan for the rest of the time....mmmm...sure my friends said they couldn't get either....anyways! :smile:

perhaps it's different because you're in scotland? Honours degrees here are only 3 yrs instead of the 4 that they are in scotland. My underdtanding of it is students are entitled to bursary for the whole of the course and loan for the whole of the course even if they have aloan from a previosu degree so perhaps its a location thing? Becase I know that in scotland there is no tuition fee support for physio students (if they are not scottish)

In other words who knows lol!
Reply 41
we get tuition fees!

The tuition fees are paid for all EU people, with/without degrees. You get the same support as an english student...if your doing a non helathcare course you apply to your local lea for fee support, for healthcare courses the scottish executive pay them. We have physios at our uni from england who get fees paid. My fees are paid..weird! The fees are part of the bursary package, they just have to apply to SAAS for it! hehe

Yeah....who knows! Someone conveniently forgot to told me even though i was english i could get daily uni travel expenses...applied...got £171 back! yay!

The students in question are from england so it shouldn't be that different. The only difference is we just have to apply for a bursary from SAAS not SGU. I believe the bursaries are exactly the same amount though. Dietetics is a 4 year degree everywhere in the UK (except plymouth).
Reply 42
~Kirsty~
we get tuition fees!

The tuition fees are paid for all EU people, with/without degrees. You get the same support as an english student...if your doing a non helathcare course you apply to your local lea for fee support, for healthcare courses the scottish executive pay them. We have physios at our uni from england who get fees paid. My fees are paid..weird! The fees are part of the bursary package, they just have to apply to SAAS for it! hehe

Yeah....who knows! Someone conveniently forgot to told me even though i was english i could get daily uni travel expenses...applied...got £171 back! yay!

The students in question are from england so it shouldn't be that different. The only difference is we just have to apply for a bursary from SAAS not SGU. I believe the bursaries are exactly the same amount though. Dietetics is a 4 year degree everywhere in the UK (except plymouth).
that is interesting - someon that posts on here is doing an acclerated degree in physio (2years instead of 3)at Queen Margarets and she gets no tuition fee support because she's in scotland and not england - so she's having to find 12k!
Reply 43
probably because its the accelerated one then? Its a taught post grad masters which does not get funding in scotland.

Everyone i know in the physio group gets it, but they are undergrads.
Reply 44
~Kirsty~
probably because its the accelerated one then? Its a taught post grad masters which does not get funding in scotland.

Everyone i know in the physio group gets it, but they are undergrads.

quite possibly - although accelerated masters courses in england get them.......................

so basically - who knows lol so to the poster who asked about it:
1. if you're studying in england then yes you can apply for a loan and a bursary even if you've done a degree before and to our knowledge you get financial help for all 3yrs of the degree
2. if you're going to study in scotlan then you apply for bursary and loan but you may only get financial help for a select number of years

I think that just bout sums it up!
Reply 45
possibly...

hehe! The student finance system is stupid really...

Its like england always ask my parents to send in t heir income...when i only get non income assessed loan from england...and we don't fill income in on the form!
Reply 46
~Kirsty~
possibly...

hehe! The student finance system is stupid really...

Its like england always ask my parents to send in t heir income...when i only get non income assessed loan from england...and we don't fill income in on the form!

lol well thanks for your help trying to clarify the situation anyway!!!! I think the whole thing about cash is as clear as mud - the moral? Just apply and see what on earth happens haha!
Reply 47
I don't mind...happy to try and clear the smoke...but i think i made it worse...ah well! I should have just stoppped interfering!

Another weird thing i found, on the english support website for loans says i should get £2160, but scottish s tudents are only getting £2105 i think...weird...they're normally identical...i get the english rate so i don't mind! haha!
Reply 48
~Kirsty~
I don't mind...happy to try and clear the smoke...but i think i made it worse...ah well! I should have just stoppped interfering!

Another weird thing i found, on the english support website for loans says i should get £2160, but scottish s tudents are only getting £2105 i think...weird...they're normally identical...i get the english rate so i don't mind! haha!

at the risk of confusing people more and worrying people I just thought I'd draw second degree-ers to this

http://www.admissionsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14868

"Hmmm. I just spoke to my LEA (notts) who have kindly informed me that they will not give me any support as the rules have changed this yr and if you've studied before and are not studying medicine or dentistry under the health umbrella you won't get help this year. Would have done last year! Great. I looked at EGAs but they seem to be saying that they don't help second-timer's either. any other ideas anyone? I don't really want to go down career loan due to the interest rate(still got my 1st student loan to pay off and no savings). Great eh?!"

However, its not clear wether this applies to physio or if its only certain LEA's who are implementing this as of this year - I strongly advise that you should contact your LEA t find out before you make any assumptions about what you will/won't receive
Reply 49
~Kirsty~

at the risk of confusing people more and worrying people I just thought I'd draw second degree-ers to this

"Hmmm. I just spoke to my LEA (notts) who have kindly informed me that they will not give me any support as the rules have changed this yr and if you've studied before and are not studying medicine or dentistry under the health umbrella you won't get help this year. Would have done last year! Great. I looked at EGAs but they seem to be saying that they don't help second-timer's either. any other ideas anyone? I don't really want to go down career loan due to the interest rate(still got my 1st student loan to pay off and no savings). Great eh?!"

However, its not clear wether this applies to physio (the applicant is aplying for SLT) or if its only certain LEA's who are implementing this as of this year - I strongly advise that you should contact your LEA t find out before you make any assumptions about what you will/won't receive
Reply 50
ok, thats a shame. Especially since the rules have only just changed.
Reply 51
~Kirsty~
ok, thats a shame. Especially since the rules have only just changed.

yeah, especially as its also not clear who/where this affects
Reply 52
Gotta say, this thread is far more confusing than the actual forms. I think I'll just work it out for myself.
Reply 53
NickUWE
Gotta say, this thread is far more confusing than the actual forms. I think I'll just work it out for myself.

lol - sorry! It started offf quite straght forward and then got quite complicated! I think the best thing to do is just apply for everything! They'll soon tell you if you're not entitled
Reply 54
JackieS

However, its not clear wether this applies to physio (the applicant is aplying for SLT) or if its only certain LEA's who are implementing this as of this year - I strongly advise that you should contact your LEA t find out before you make any assumptions about what you will/won't receive

Oh my, it's not looking good is it? I can't really see how subjects like physio or SLT can be excluded from the health sciences umbrella - perhaps they're only excluding students who've taken out a loan before (it does say in the notes that if you hold an honours degree you may not be entitled to a loan). I think I'll apply anyway and just hope that it's different for other LEAs.
Reply 55
NickUWE

lol - sorry! It started offf quite straght forward and then got quite complicated! I think the best thing to do is just apply for everything! They'll soon tell you if you're not entitled.

The only things that are a given are:

if you're a first time udnergradate you are entitled to
a) a non means tested student loan
and
b) a means tested NHS bursary with your tuition fees paid

if you're a second time undergrad that is where it seem to get complicated
Reply 56
MJay
Oh my, it's not looking good is it? I can't really see how subjects like physio or SLT can be excluded from the health sciences umbrella - perhaps they're only excluding students who've taken out a loan before (it does say in the notes that if you hold an honours degree you may not be entitled to a loan). I think I'll apply anyway and just hope that it's different for other LEAs.

just to clarify - that link from admissionsforum wll not affect you fi you are a first time udnergraduate - it'll only affect you if its you're second degree........

the notes do say that if you hold an honours degree you may not be entitled to a loan, youre right, but th e notes also say that second degree funding will be given to those studying towards particular vocational degrees (medicine, architecture etc). However it does give a definitive list of what is included and what isnt.

So if you're an undergrad for the first time - don't panic

its ony if you're a postgrad applying for undergrad level that you need to seek clarification
Reply 57
JackieS
just to clarify - that link from admissionsforum wll not affect you fi you are a first time udnergraduate - it'll only affect you if its you're second degree........

the notes do say that if you hold an honours degree you may not be entitled to a loan, youre right, but th e notes also say that second degree funding will be given to those studying towards particular vocational degrees (medicine, architecture etc). However it does give a definitive list of what is included and what isnt.

So if you're an undergrad for the first time - don't panic

its ony if you're a postgrad applying for undergrad level that you need to seek clarification

I'm afraid I am the guilty one who took this thread down the twisting road of loans for second-time undergrads - sorry if any first-time undergrads have got confused reading the last few posts. I should stress that it's students who've already had a student loan for a previous degree that we're confused about. New undergrads should be fine - apply with confidence.
Reply 58
MJay
I'm afraid I am the guilty one who took this thread down the twisting road of loans for second-time undergrads - sorry if any first-time undergrads have got confused reading the last few posts. I should stress that it's students who've already had a student loan for a previous degree that we're confused about. New undergrads should be fine - apply with confidence.

MJay - I suggest you just apply for the non means tested loan anyway - there is nothing offical about this change that I can see..................they'll soon tell you if you're not eligible
Reply 59
Yes, I will apply and hope for the best. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Latest