The Student Room Group

Bad GCSE grades But good A-levels and want to study medicine or dentistry PLZ ADVICE

Hello everyone

I am very confused on whether to even bother to apply to medicine or dentistry with Bad GCSE grades But good A-levels (predicted)

I am very enthusiastic and committed and would very much like to enter one of those fields.
I would like some advice based on my grades on which universities would actually consider me and if i do have a chance

My gcse grades
Biology - C
Chemistry - C
Physics - C
Maths - B
English - C
ICT - B
Arabic - A*

My A-level Predicted

Chemistry - A
Biology - A
Accounting - A
Arabic (AS) - A

I would very much appreciate your responses and answer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentroofan
Hello everyone

I am very confused on whether to even bother to apply to medicine or dentistry with Bad GCSE grades But good A-levels (predicted)

I am very enthusiastic and committed and would very much like to enter one of those fields.
I would like some advice based on my grades on which universities would actually consider me and if i do have a chance

My gcse grades
Biology - C
Chemistry - C
Physics - C
Maths - B
English - C
ICT - B
Arabic - A*

My A-level Predicted

Chemistry - A
Biology - A
Accounting - A
Arabic (AS) - A

Have you checked the requirements from each med school, if not use this link extremely useful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

What did you get at AS ?

You might have to consider retaking your GCSEs because from a quick glance most universities want at least a B in sciences at GCSE and the ones which allow Cs are quite sneaky in the form that the applicants they do accept have never gotten a C haha e.g. Cambridge allows Cs at GCSE sciences when their intake is like 90% A*s so, go figure.
Original post by studentroofan
Hello everyone

My gcse grades
Biology - C
Chemistry - C
Physics - C
Maths - B
English - C
ICT - B
Arabic - A*

My A-level Predicted

Chemistry - A
Biology - A
Accounting - A
Arabic (AS) - A

Just to add the dental entry requirements can be found here.

You could always apply with your a-level grades next year if you don't get in this year - but you would need to make sure you meet the GCSE requirements of the dental schools you are applying to. But firstly you need to do some work experience to decide whether you want to Dentistry or Medicine :smile:
Remember if Arabic is your first language some schools, such a Newcastle, wont count it... just saying :smile:
i'm in the same boat as you,i want to do vet med but I only got 3 A's so im retaking hist and geog which i got B's in january to get 5 A's,
Reply 5
You need a B in your english GCSE. That is the only GCSE you must have, since you have Maths at B.
Reply 6
Thank you very much for your responses :smile:

How about if i just retake english GCSE would that be enough, because UCL and plymouth uni accept with b's in english.

Also are there any alternative medicine pathways ??
Reply 7
Hi guys!
I'll start off by saying that I'm currently in year 12 and I'm studying chemistry, biology, maths and english literature.
I have been interested in becoming a dentist since year 9 and
I have a lot of work experience to back this up
- 2 weeks at a dental practice - with a variety of ethnicity groups patients
- ongoing work experience at a private dental clinic
- work experience at a dental clinic in czech republic

Im hoping to get AAAc in my A-Levels (definitely retaking my maths core 1 this june!!) And also take the UKCAT test in summer.
My GCSE grades - however - are not the best :

Biology - A
Physics - B
Chemistry - C
Maths - B
English Literature - B
English Language - B
Health and Social Care - B and C
Czech - A*
Expressive Arts - C

My hobbies are volleyball, reading criminology books,
May I add that English is not my first language.

My questions to you guys are:

Are any of you in a similar situation?
Will any universities consider giving me an offer?
Can I retake an as exam in year 12 and get away with it?

I am really worried because I dont have much knowledge on this topic, and I moved to England 5 years ago so neither my parents nor I know much about the whole ''applying to uni'' stuff...

Any help will be much appreciated!
Thank you!
Reply 8
I am a year 12 student. My gcse grades wwere chemistry- A biology- A physics -A maths- A history- A* eng Lang- A* eng lit- A georgraohy- B French- B

as predictions are AAAB

Is this ok for medicine
Reply 9
Guys look on the individual university course websites, they all say exactly what their requirements are and it's really not hard to find!
Reply 10
I have 2A* 3A 6B
But although I meet my minimum gcse requirements, wouldn't I be disadvantaged compared to other applicants? These gcses are letting me down so badly :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wndms
I have 2A* 3A 6B
But although I meet my minimum gcse requirements, wouldn't I be disadvantaged compared to other applicants? These gcses are letting me down so badly :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Barts won't give anyone an advantage/disadvantage according to their GCSE grades. If you have the minimum requirements, that's it. They won't go back to compare you or judge you on your GCSE grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by ModernLove
Barts won't give anyone an advantage/disadvantage according to their GCSE grades. If you have the minimum requirements, that's it. They won't go back to compare you or judge you on your GCSE grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Does this apply to all universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wndms
Really? Does this apply to all universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was only talking about Barts. Avoid Kings though

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you get a high UKCAT score, they won't care about your GCSEs.
Reply 15
We can't keep having the same questions being asked, go to the designated threads like the 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine' thread for example, or even better, read the very informative TSR wiki articles. They answer all the questions that have been asked here.

About Barts, it's difficult to say. They really are difficult to work out, pretty much everyone that applies will meet the requirements of AAA predictions, and 600 UKCAT or whatever it is nowadays. But to cut down on the number of applicants, they judge on UCAS tariff points and UKCAT scores, so you'll need way above AAAb tariff points (perhaps an extra a-level instead of an extra AS, perhaps an EPQ or music exams etc.), and you'll probably want above 700 if you haven't got over 550 UCAS tariff. It really depends on the cohort. So apply according to your strengths - again, there is a TSR wiki article for this.
Reply 16
Original post by ModernLove

Posted from TSR Mobile

This information is incorrect, they take into consideration your GCSE grades you can call them and check, they do put on emphasis on GCSE grades above the entry requirements so someone with higher GCSE grades will be more likely to get a space than you.
Hmm, many universities don't really focus on GCSE grades in their medical admissions processes, however there is a minimum standard required and your's are particularly low.

For example Liverpool medical school require a minimum of 15 points where an A*/A is 2 points and a B is 1 point. This is the lowest I've seen for a med course (there may be other lower ones), but I'd advise retaking as many of those GCSEs as possible. Saying you are being predicted As at A level this shouldn't be a problem, but it may be expensive.
Original post by wndms
I have 2A* 3A 6B

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd be fine, if you apply to the right universities. I have used Liverpool as an example already, they would be happy enough with your GCSE grades.

Even cambridge don't look at gcse grades except for the minimum requirements. They focus heavily on AS scores and predicted grades.

Obviously places like Oxford, birmingham, leeds etc. would be out of your reach.
Original post by SportsFan
This information is incorrect, they take into consideration your GCSE grades you can call them and check, they do put on emphasis on GCSE grades above the entry requirements so someone with higher GCSE grades will be more likely to get a space than you.

Well that's annoying.. because on the open day, the lady said that having higher GCSEs will give you no advantage over anyone else during the presentation she gave. I even went up to her at the end to confirm it because my lack of A*s worried me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest