The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mark85
In a street fight? Or in a boxing match?

In a street fight - my money would easily be on Tyson.

In boxing - a top of his game Ali vs. a top of his game Tyson? Not very clear cut but I would lean towards Ali.

Tyson was faster than Ali in terms of hand speed - Ali's speed was really in his body movement and foot work.

well i guess its just opinion my money would be on Ali in a street fight and boxing fight.
Original post by Mess.
These threads come up all the time. It was a rugby player and some midget last time I believe. In an actual street fight Tyson would murder Lee. Stamina and speed are pointless in a street fight as they are over pretty quickly.

speed would be pretty important (and sorry for the accidental neg phones laggy)
Reply 42
Original post by getoom
speed would be pretty important (and sorry for the accidental neg phones laggy)

Speed only in the sense of getting the first hand on but after that size and power can normally dominate.
Original post by Mess.
Speed only in the sense of getting the first hand on but after that size and power can normally dominate.

speed helps in dodging the other guys punches

Lee's speed in terms of reacting + punching from a distance of three feet away was determined to be around five hundredths of a second (0.05 second); from five feet away it was around eight hundredths of a second (0.08 second).
Lee could take in one arm a 75 lb barbell from a standing position with the barbell held flush against his chest and slowly stick his arms out locking them, holding the barbell there for several seconds.
In a speed demonstration, Lee could snatch a dime off a person's open palm before they could close it, and leave a penny behind.
Lee performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index finger.
Lee performed 50 reps of one-arm chin-ups.
Lee could cause a 300-lb (136.08 kg) bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a sidekick
Lee held an elevated v-sit position for 30 minutes or longer
Lee could break wooden boards six inches thick.
In a move that has been dubbed "Dragon Flag", Lee could perform leg lifts with only his shoulder blades resting on the edge of a bench and suspend his legs and torso perfectly horizontal midair.
Lee would use one finger to leave dramatic indentations on pine wood.

Bruce Lee. First off, you have an incredible psychological advantage. Bruce has had intense self discipline drilled into him from childhood. Tyson bites ears, and beats women. Not exactly the poster boy for self discipline. And Bruce lee was pure muscle and sinew the man constantly trained with weights

s'pretty freakin fast
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 44
Bruce lee, since he's too speedy for Tyson.
Reply 45
Original post by stefl14
Most street fights end very quickly with punches due to their unexpected nature.

Although I realise that fights starts and mostly end with the use of punches, you've made a claim to have stats on this by your wording - cite your source.

Original post by stefl14
Therefore punchers usually have an advantage.

MMAers can punch.

Original post by stefl14
Other times there are lots of people involved so getting involved in grappling is stupid as you will get kicked on the floor by mates etc.

Yes, deliberately so it is stupid. Are you arguing that therefore you are better off not knowing what to do when you are grabbed, tackled, pinned to the floor etc?

Original post by stefl14
Also kicks are disastrous in street fights if you happen to come up against someone who knows what they're doing or if you miss/don't land right. The same isn't really true of punches.

Why is it not the same of punches?
Reply 46
Original post by Blue Rose
you don't need to be big or strong to beat someone with martial arts unlike boxing

You ignore at your peril the fact that all violence is a massively physical affair. Likewise you demonstrate your ignorace of boxing's body mechanics - you think they're throwing their bodyweight inefficiently?
Reply 47
Original post by No Man
Bruce lee, since he's too speedy for Tyson.

Evidence?
Reply 48
Original post by getoom
speed helps in dodging the other guys punches

Lee's speed in terms of reacting + punching from a distance of three feet away was determined to be around five hundredths of a second (0.05 second); from five feet away it was around eight hundredths of a second (0.08 second).
Lee could take in one arm a 75 lb barbell from a standing position with the barbell held flush against his chest and slowly stick his arms out locking them, holding the barbell there for several seconds.
In a speed demonstration, Lee could snatch a dime off a person's open palm before they could close it, and leave a penny behind.
Lee performed one-hand push-ups using only the thumb and index finger.
Lee performed 50 reps of one-arm chin-ups.
Lee could cause a 300-lb (136.08 kg) bag to fly towards and thump the ceiling with a sidekick
Lee held an elevated v-sit position for 30 minutes or longer
Lee could break wooden boards six inches thick.
In a move that has been dubbed "Dragon Flag", Lee could perform leg lifts with only his shoulder blades resting on the edge of a bench and suspend his legs and torso perfectly horizontal midair.
Lee would use one finger to leave dramatic indentations on pine wood.

Bruce Lee. First off, you have an incredible psychological advantage. Bruce has had intense self discipline drilled into him from childhood. Tyson bites ears, and beats women. Not exactly the poster boy for self discipline. And Bruce lee was pure muscle and sinew the man constantly trained with weights

s'pretty freakin fast

And you think this puts him at a disadvantage? Maybe you misunderstand the nature of street fighting.

Regardless, all your statistics are context free and thus meaningless - what use is it to know Bruce Lee's reaction time unless you know Mike Tyson's punch time? Statistics aside, I struggle to believe that amusing facts about the strength of Lee's fingers are going to help him tremendously.
Reply 49
Original post by SEHughes
Although I realise that fights starts and mostly end with the use of punches, you've made a claim to have stats on this by your wording - cite your source.

Sorry if you interpreted it this way but I don't have stats. Don't be pedantic - anyone who knows what they're talking about knows most fights end with punches.

MMAers can punch.

I beg to differ. Most fighters in MMA are terrible punchers. I don't know why but they just don't seem to be taught the right technique. Their weight transferral is usually just the same as any guy on the street to be honest. MMA guys are rubbish punchers compared to boxers.

Yes, deliberately so it is stupid. Are you arguing that therefore you are better off not knowing what to do when you are grabbed, tackled, pinned to the floor etc?

It's better to stay off the floor. Besides a savvy street fighter will do anything to get off the floor including things not in mma rules such as spitting, kneeing in balls, scratching, headbutts, biting etc. There are actually many cases of experienced street fighters beating boxers, MMA fighters etc. Many of these seem to think their experience in the ring/cage will automatically make them good on the street.

Why is it not the same of punches?

Sorry if you interpreted it this way but I don't have stats. Don't be pedantic - anyone who knows what they're talking about knows most fights end with punches.

I beg to differ. Most fighters in MMA are terrible punchers. I don't know why but they just don't seem to be taught the right technique. Their weight transferral is usually just the same as any guy on the street to be honest. MMA guys are rubbish punchers compared to boxers.

It's better to stay off the floor. Besides a savvy street fighter will do anything to get off the floor including things not in mma rules such as spitting, kneeing in balls, scratching, headbutts, biting etc. There are actually many cases of experienced street fighters beating boxers, MMA fighters etc. Many of these seem to think their experience in the ring/cage will automatically make them good on the street.

Because you are off balance. It's much harder to defend after a kick if you miss. Someone can grab your leg etc. Most experienced street fighters will tell you don't kick.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by stefl14

Does that include you? How do you know this? What's your evidence?

Original post by stefl14

What guys on the street are you comparing them to? What's your evidence?

Original post by stefl14
It's better to stay off the floor. Besides a savvy street fighter will do anything to get off the floor including things not in mma rules such as spitting, kneeing in balls, scratching, headbutts, biting etc.

And why couldn't a mixed martial artist do all of these things?

Original post by stefl14
There are actually many cases of experienced street fighters beating boxers, MMA fighters etc. Many of these seem to think their experience in the ring/cage will automatically make them good on the street.

Two separate claims here - what's your evidence?

Original post by stefl14
Because you are off balance. It's much harder to defend after a kick if you miss. Someone can grab your leg etc. Most experienced street fighters will tell you don't kick.

What's yout evidence?

I actually think you'd be right on much of what you say, but I can't abide this pretense that you have some special inside track with some league of "savvy streetfighters".
Skill>>Strength.

Bruce Lee ftw!
Reply 52
Original post by Iamyourfather
Skill>>Strength.

Bruce Lee ftw!

>implying Lee had no strength
>implying Tyson had no skill
Reply 53
Original post by Jack93o
Mike Tyson for sure. Martial arts is a load of bull**** in real life fighting, boxing is as real as it gets to proper hand to hand combat, not to mention as well that Tyson weighs about 5 times as much and is lightning quick.

btw we are talking about the prime years of both, right? because these days I reckon even I could take out Tyson :lol:

if u think boxing is 'proper hand to hand combat' you've never been in a real fight.

it's still a great martial art/ sport, but in the end you only ever really practice 4 punches
Reply 54
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
if u think boxing is 'proper hand to hand combat' you've never been in a real fight.

it's still a great martial art/ sport, but in the end you only ever really practice 4 punches

I said: 'as real as it gets to proper hand to hand combat'

no mainstream sport/martial art is ever going to be a complete representation of a street fight, but out of all those I'd say boxing is the best
Tyson would win. I agree with the guy who says boxing is the closest thing to a street fight. It is all about how good you are at punching and tyson is one of the most devastating punchers ever. A guy of Lee's size would be koed from one shot with no gloves. Lee wouldn't be able to hit hard enough to do any damage.
Reply 56
Tyson.... As much as I'd like to say Bruce Lee (basically cos I prefer the guy), Tyson was just a monster in his prime.
Reply 57
I havent read the posts in here but I can just tell there will be some bruce lee nuthuggers.

Tyson would knock the **** out of him in less than a minute
Original post by SEHughes

>implying Lee had no strength
>implying Tyson had no skill

No Lee has MORE skill Tyson has MORE strength

:tongue:
Reply 59
Original post by Jack93o
no mainstream sport/martial art is ever going to be a complete representation of a street fight, but out of all those I'd say boxing is the best

Again I ask, why not MMA? They have to deal with attacks in all ranges, and they wear gloves that weigh a quarter what boxing gloves weigh.

Latest