The Student Room Group

To Engineering Students... How do you find maths?

Hi all,

I am researching on issues engineering students face with mathematics, especially first years...

if you could express what you most liked in mahs and what you most hated: the curriculum, the way of teaching, lecturers, way of studying...etc

And if you had the chance to change any thing related to maths in your first year, what would it be?

and to those who didn't start yet, what are your expectations about mathematics?

Thanking you all in advance for cooperating..
Reply 1
Original post by l_moon
Hi all,

I am researching on issues engineering students face with mathematics, especially first years...

if you could express what you most liked in mahs and what you most hated: the curriculum, the way of teaching, lecturers, way of studying...etc

And if you had the chance to change any thing related to maths in your first year, what would it be?

and to those who didn't start yet, what are your expectations about mathematics?

Love maths xD im hoping it will be good at university wen i start my engineering degree in 2013 (hopefully)
I found the maths the least interesting part of the course, but also got some of my best grades from those modules. Apart from one which was a real nightmare. The weekly maths tests that counted towards the end grade for the module made us spent a disproportionate amount of time studying it.

Overall I wouldn't change anything, though; it's a necessary evil when getting an engineering degree and I honestly can't fault the maths lecturers for their helpfulness and how much they wanted us to pass.
Original post by l_moon
Hi all,

Generally it was quite well taught but for some of our modules it wasn't clear how things would be related to engineering problems.

Quick Reply

Latest