The Student Room Group

Crackling when fluorescent light turns on

I've got a fluorescent lamp on my desk which I've been using for about 3 months. Before that it had spent at least 5 years or so in the garage. It's been working fine (a slight delay when starting up, but I'm pretty sure that's normal), however recently I've noticed that when it starts up it makes a fairly loud crackling noise as the light flickers on (with each flicker of the light it makes a noise). Is this normal?

The reason I'm asking is that it's right next to my desktop, so I won't be too impressed if it blows up or something. On the other hand, I don't want to replace something that's not broken.

Does anyone have any experience about this or advice?
happens when the bulb is the wrong way round or when its nearly dead....

does it have a dark mark at the end?
Reply 2
Original post by robin22391
happens when the bulb is the wrong way round or when its nearly dead....

does it have a dark mark at the end?

At the base of the bulb yes, a dark patch about an inch tall.

Am I going to need to get a new one? I've only been using it for a few months :frown:
Original post by nimby77
At the base of the bulb yes, a dark patch about an inch tall.

Am I going to need to get a new one? I've only been using it for a few months :frown:

you will need to get a new one soon, but it could last a year like that...depends how old the bulb is.
Reply 4
Original post by robin22391
you will need to get a new one soon, but it could last a year like that...depends how old the bulb is.

Alright, I will do. Thanks for your help
Reply 5
It's not going to blow up. Eventually it will just fail and either go out or not turn on. Might as well just leave it until then, although it's worthwhile buying a spare so you can easily swap over when it does fail.

Quick Reply

Latest