The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I graduated from uni a little more than 13 years ago, and as every year that goes by I miss being a student more and more (and I was a broke student, I mean really really broke, but I enjoyed life more being a broke student than a well off employee). Working and earning money is highly overrated. Literally every single co-worker (no matter which company or which position they held) I have ever had since graduation has been miserable. The longer they've worked the more miserable they were. At first I didn't understand it, until time went by and I saw and experienced what they did. Work is soul crushing. Work kills creativity and imagination. Work drains the life and energy out of you. Work benefits the company you work for more than it benefits you as a person. You are merely trading your time and energy for money. And in reality, that is a total waste and is of no real benefit to you. Everyone eventually misses being a student. The longer you work, the more you will miss it.

Being a student is the exact opposite of working. Being a student you are optimistic and hopeful for your future, you see many different doors available to you, you learn and grow, and progress in steps and levels each and every year, each year and each semester is different, new and different experiences, new and different knowledge and information, your success and failure as a student is solely dependent on you and only you, you get to pick and choose your path, there is more flexibility with time, and you choose when and how you do something, there is so much time off to get away and unwind if you need it, you know what needs to be done and it doesn't change at the last moment, the people around you are a lot smarter than your future co-workers (and that can include your bosses too), your brain is on fire and utilizing its functions for growth, the people around you can't sabotage your progress (nor do they care to), everyone is happier and full of energy and motivation and set goals, everyone around you sees each other as equals and you get treated as such, etc.

Even your most highly stressful moment as a student will be minuscule when compared to something when working.

Work is the exact opposite of all that was mentioned above. Even if you find a job that you love and is your ultimate dream job, working will ruin it. There will someone(s) or something(s) that will ruin it for you. It will happen to everyone, in every job, in every industry, always. The moment that happens, you will miss being a student.

There isn't a day that goes by that I don't wish for all of those things to be back.
It's a mix bag thing for me. I will like to earn and study both to keep contented. Having bit easy life is always a dream many like to see. Study & business life both offers that if we are able to manage them effectively and smartly. The key is finding the best suitable plan to achieve the goal.
Ignore people calling you patethic and lazy.I have a job and its good but its not wrong to miss the university life, where you had a structure but not exactly one. You could do with skipping a lecture and doing your work late at night or early mornings. It is not wrong to feel that way and if you really want to move on maybe do your masters and follow with a PHD as it is more worthwhile that way. You could become a uni lecturer or something.
Saw this realise it is an old thread and people likely wont reply on it but I have to say I really do miss being at university and have been reminiscing of late. It was the last time I remember being truly happy. It's nothing to do with working or responsibility etc but rather friendship and the city. When I finally finished my degree 2 and a half years ago I had a huge sense of optimism about the future, a few set backs soon kicked that feeling into the long grass. What I miss the most though is the city and the close friends. I utterly fell in love with the city I lived in but unfortunately it didn't exactly support a great many jobs that paid enough so I had to leave. I miss the routine, it was a city large enough to have everything you could want but also small enough to maintain a sense of real community. I miss living with good friends. I suffer with depression and the difficulties of it were always made easier by terrific flat mates. If someone said I can give you just a day of that life again that happiness again I'd jump at it. But all good things come to an end. I went back to the city recently and realised any attempt to recreate what I had would end is disaster. What I had was unique to that point in time of my life. Despite not living there for over 2 years going back felt like going home, even found when I went to grab a sandwich in the local supermarket I went to put a pound in a trolley, old habits just kicked in like I was about to do a weekly shop! They call them the best years of your life for a reason. I think as a human being its in built to want to be around good social groups we are comfortable in so its only nature to think back on the good ones when you currently don't have any and are quite lonely.
Reply 24
Original post by PlanetTea
I miss university so much. I'm going from one temp job to another. I miss the freedom, I miss being able to get drunk on a Monday, I miss all the University clubs and the classes. I wish I could do it all over again.

I've thought about doing a post-graduate degree but, I know that paying all that money isn't worth it just so I can attempt to adopt the same life style I had before and besides I couldn't afford it.

I know some people go to university as mature students, and they start a lot later (I have close friends who are 26, still at uni and began at 24) I'm only 21 but I'd feel guilty going back. I probably couldn't afford it either.

But I miss it :frown: is there anyone else who went back to university after their BA?

Does anyone understand that feeling of missing the lack of responsibility?

I know exactly what you mean.... the weekly student nights with your mates..... getting plastered then waking up with the hangover from hell - i kinda enjoyed the hangover as well as hated them because you share the fun and the laughs and the hangover pain with your uni mates, yeeeep we miss it! miss going to classess.... the stuyding!! I miss all the studying too. There was no better feeling in the world than getting your assignment marks back and they were good.

Life goes in stages and three years of uni is another stage complete, life is always different and we cannot slow down time. Iv just graduated from uni and im searching for work, but keep at it and enjoy.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 25
It has been 10 years since I graduated and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss university. Don't misunderstand me I have a great paying job that I enjoy as well as my own house with an amazing wife and son but still I reminisce about my old life where there was so much less pressure, I miss having an ever evolving group on friends hell I even miss lectures. I think for some people university played such a large part in our lives and helping us develop as people that we will always look back on this time with huge fondness.

Latest