The Student Room Group

Animal Rights: Ban inhumane ritual slaughter proved to cause insane suffering

Scroll to see replies

Original post by badcheesecrispy

Please dont insult my intelligence with the bull crap that animals are 'lesser' than humans.

When do religious people say that?
Reply 21
I agree completely. The routine factory farming and mass-production of animals for meat disgusts me anyway, but at least it is better than the horrific methods they use in halal and kosher meat. It's awful and it should be banned. Religion shouldn't have special laws protecting it from criticism or change. Fine, respect people's beliefs, but they shouldn't be held in such high regard that religion comes above common sense, fairness or morals. If it said in any religious book that men should rape a woman from their town on a certain day every year, should that be respected and allowed to continue because it's "tradition"? No, obviously not. Well for the same reason, somebody should have the balls to stand up for what is right. Stop tip-toeing around religion trying not to offend anyone and stop this disgusting practise now. How it is still legal in 2012 is beyond me.
Original post by Redolent
The thing is, if it is truly proven that animals are suffering terribly in these places before they die, people would want to know. The shell of ignorance would be broken, and people would care. So why are none of the newspapers talking about it? We have freedom of press here, and the story would be huge. Yet most of the sources I see from people like you come directly from sites loudly declaring their goal to convert people to veganism - I don't feel like I can trust that.

The fact I can think in these terms at all puts a huge division between me and the animals. If an animal was killed humanely, my idea of humanely, it would never know it was going to die. The thought may be discomforting, but if I fell unconscious feeling no pain, and then died, I wouldn't know anything bad had happened to me. And if I were an animal, I wouldn't be able to care.

im not trying to convert you to veganism

they dont report it because the public love meat and like to stay ignorant and the media are likely all meat eaters themselves, most people are

and yes i agree but livestock is not killed like that, that is the point, they arnt euthanized like sick pets are, why should some animals get respect in death and others dont?

its human socializing thats done it to your mind my friend
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
When do religious people say that?

they dont, many people do religious or not, and it is a fallacy

no decent human wants to cause pain and fear to another being that feels it the same as humans do

and they do feel pain, they get scared and they feel emotions

its about time people started realizing that, and started treating animals better

they can start by neutering their pets and not deciding its 'cute' to let them breed when theres 1000s of animals out there that have to be put down due to no homes for them

the sheer volume of idiots who let their animals continuously breed is ridiculous and people need to be educated
I don't get what you're trying to argue here. No one here wants animals to be killed inhumanely.

btw if we arent supposed to eat meat, why is it an edible substance?
Original post by pol pot noodles
See, the thing is, there are just as many studies by the other side that will contradict what you say. And frankly your clear anti-religion bias just pisses me off, so I'm even more reluctant to get involved in the issue than I otherwise would be. You probably shouldn't be so blunt, whiny, patronising and annoying when trying to advocate a cause.

your obviously religious, as the post isnt solely about religion

your evidence is probably from islamic or such websites, 98% of the time containing absoloute bull**** if i must say so myself

videos of this practice showing the barbarity of it is enough to counter your religious dogma, should you post it
Original post by Joeman560
I don't get what you're trying to argue here. No one here wants animals to be killed inhumanely.

btw if we arent supposed to eat meat, why is it an edible substance?

human meat is also an edible substance, but humans dont feel it right for any living thing on the planet to eat a human, infact if one does it is killed or put in jail

again, read one of my earlier posts, where i mentioned this numerous times and have yet been given a response- seems tsr wishes to dodge this difficult subject
Criticising kosher and halal is like insulting black and white tv. It was introduce long ago, and provided a minimum standard for animals being killed, in what was the most humane way possible.

Nowadays there may be better options. But to get rid of kosher or halal would cause chains like McDonald's or KFC to cut corners and drop back into the grinder technique, which is when they use to drop live animals into pulpers.

Instead, halal in particular is more profitable as a minimum standard for these evil chains, a it provides more customers and an edge on competition.

So honestly complaining about them is silliness. As OP stated, humans are fairly evils, and if these two keep more animals than anything else in history from horrible deaths, (which is what they were introduced for) I'm all for it.
Reply 28
I'm gonna get negged by the animal rights brigade but does anyone else here just not care about animals at all? I'm not saying I advocate the torture and killing of animals but if someone did do that I just wouldn't care at all. I sometimes read in the newspaper about some messed up kid microwaving his cat and everyone else is all horrified while I struggle to feel any empathy for the cat. I just see animals as "stuffed things that move". I am not some keyboard warrior bragging about being an emotionless psycho I'm saying this because I'm tired of being labelled a monster for not caring about animals. It's just how some people are. I don't believe its evil and wrong to only care about your own species.
Reply 29
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Criticising kosher and halal is like insulting black and white tv. It was introduce long ago, and provided a minimum standard for animals being killed, in what was the most humane way possible.

Nowadays there may be better options. But to get rid of kosher or halal would cause chains like McDonald's or KFC to cut corners and drop back into the grinder technique, which is when they use to drop live animals into pulpers.

Instead, halal in particular is more profitable as a minimum standard for these evil chains, a it provides more customers and an edge on competition.

So honestly complaining about them is silliness. As OP stated, humans are fairly evils, and if these two keep more animals than anything else in history from horrible deaths, (which is what they were introduced for) I'm all for it.

McDonald's and KFC get there halal meat from HFA which is stunned.
your obviously religious, as the post isnt solely about religion

No, I'm not religious, heaven forbid that I merely take offence at your vile intolerance?

your evidence is probably from islamic or such websites, 98% of the time containing absoloute bull**** if i must say so myself

Yeah, sure :rolleyes:
I give no credence to studies from either side of this debate since like the vast majority of studies they both suffer from the flaw that they have an objective to prove from the outset, which taints their impartiality and undermines their credibility. The studies from the religious side may well be full of bull, but you'll have to excuse me if I'm anything but reluctant to think that whiney, annoying, militant vegans don't also suffer from a severe case of verbal diarrhea.

videos of this practice showing the barbarity of it is enough to counter your religious dogma, should you post it

Once again, I not religious. I do have one point I'd like to discuss with you though, that about your claim that animals are aware of and when they are being slaughtered. When faced with the rather stressful prospect of death, all animals produce copious amounts of adrenaline, cortisol and the like, and also tense up their muscles. This severely reduces the quality of meat produced from the slaughter. So basically, if animals were aware of their impending slaughter as you claim, that would make it impossible to produce high quality meat, and the fact that we do have such meat means the animal was killed in blissful ignorance.
Original post by Rascacielos
Wow, that word pops up over and over again and it's one of the most vague words out there. Please, if you've found some ground-breaking, conclusive research and a bloody good dictionary definition of the word "healthy" and what it involves then please share it with the world - you'd make a mint.

He is saying it's healthier because vegetarians are more likely to live longer than those that eat meat. Many studies have shown this- look it up on the internet. Many people put their head in the sand when hearing this as the majority of people eat meat so they see this as an attack on the way they live- but whether you like it or not a vegetarain is more likely to live longer than someone that eats meat.
Original post by Variations
I'm gonna get negged by the animal rights brigade but does anyone else here just not care about animals at all? I'm not saying I advocate the torture and killing of animals but if someone did do that I just wouldn't care at all. I sometimes read in the newspaper about some messed up kid microwaving his cat and everyone else is all horrified while I struggle to feel any empathy for the cat. I just see animals as "stuffed things that move". I am not some keyboard warrior bragging about being an emotionless psycho I'm saying this because I'm tired of being labelled a monster for not caring about animals. It's just how some people are. I don't believe its evil and wrong to only care about your own species.

Of course you not the only one that thinks like that- look at the way animals are treated in general by humans (especially those that aren't dogs or cats). Other than dog or cats most humans couldn't give a **** about how animals feel. That's just the way it is unfortunately.
they dont, many people do religious or not, and it is a fallacy

no decent human wants to cause pain and fear to another being that feels it the same as humans do

and they do feel pain, they get scared and they feel emotions

its about time people started realizing that, and started treating animals better

they can start by neutering their pets and not deciding its 'cute' to let them breed when theres 1000s of animals out there that have to be put down due to no homes for them

the sheer volume of idiots who let their animals continuously breed is ridiculous and people need to be educated

Did you just reiterate that animals "do feel pain, they get scared and they feel emotions"

and then SUGGEST WE CUT THEIR BALLS OFF?

I quit I'm done, the Internet is over go home.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 34
Original post by ihatebrownbread
He is saying it's healthier because vegetarians are more likely to live longer than those that eat meat. Many studies have shown this- look it up on the internet. Many people put their head in the sand when hearing this as the majority of people eat meat so they see this as an attack on the way they live- but whether you like it or not a vegetarain is more likely to live longer than someone that eats meat.

You dont NEED to eat it, infact, you'd be healthier if you didnt

That has very little, if anything, to with vegetarianism. In truth, the reason for the increase of life expectancy for vegetarians is the same reason as anyone who aims for a healthier life style will. You cannot compare vegetarians who control what they eat, and have a nourishing diet to the majority of the population, it's ridiculous. A balanced diet including meat will always be healthier than a balanced diet excluding it.

In any case....

I fully support the goal of reducing animal suffering for meat consumption, which is why I fully support lab-grown meat, and hope to see it on the market as soon as possible.

On the flip side, a concept that is often ignored by vegetarians is that plants do have senses, and are at least as aware as simple animals. In which case, where do we draw the line? Why would eating an invertebrate be wrong, but eating a plant be wrong? The difference between animals in plants is pretty arbitrary, and the full extent of life could easily be divided into more categories, so why allow our morals of our diet be dictated by the structure of the life forms cells?
Reply 35

Imagine a hypothetical form of life more intelligent than humans with a different way of communicating with each other. They may see you as a primitive fleshy thing that moves and decide to slaughter you for meat. I'm pretty sure you would want to be killed as humanely as possible.
Reply 36
I am not some keyboard warrior bragging about being an emotionless psycho I'm saying this because I'm tired of being labelled a monster for not caring about animals. It's just how some people are. I don't believe its evil and wrong to only care about your own species.

Hop skip and a jump to "I don't believe it's evil and wrong to only care about your own race."

By the by, you are a monster. Genuinely.
Reply 37
Part of the problem is you can't fully assure even "humane slaughter", an utterly laughable term. There was a few comments earlier about only seeing comments on slaughter from animal rights groups.

The below article is BBC and RSPCA, from this year, at a Red Tractor fully assured organic pig farm which the RSPCA said the footage "was some of the most shocking we have ever received".

That's from a farm, that goes through the audit process of checking for animal welfare, if you can find examples of horrendous cruelty there then it puts the whole industry in question.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-17004268

have your opinion, its very factually incorrect though which makes you an idiot

are you religious or just ignorant of evolution and the fact humans ARE animals?

what about chimps, who share 98.5% of our DNA? If they are just 'stuffed things that move', then so are we, given your logic

care to argue against that? And yes, you are evil, compassion less and not to mention, stupid beyond belief

who do you think is more deserving of respect? A police or guide dog, that help the public in many many ways and often save lives, or a child killer and paedophile thats never done anything worthy and has destroyed lives rather than save them?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ookathephouka
Did you just reiterate that animals "do feel pain, they get scared and they feel emotions"

and then SUGGEST WE CUT THEIR BALLS OFF?

I quit I'm done, the Internet is over go home.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Are you dumb or just purposely being ridiculous?

when animals are neutered, they are under anesthetic and it doesnt hurt them at all, im not saying to cut them off conscious am i

neuturing stops many unwanted animals being born, which would cause suffering, it doesnt hurt or bother an animal at all

its like a person having an operation, the fact someone has pos repped you shows how truly thick many people on TSR are

you are clearly clueless and know nothing about animals, which is fine, but stay away from threads like this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending