University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Thinking of buying a mini fridge

Are we allowed one in our rooms? I'm in Richmond Park, Fallowfield
Reply 1
Original post by JamesYoung
Are we allowed one in our rooms? I'm in Richmond Park, Fallowfield

Officially no, you're not. Apparently it constitutes a fire hazard with the high amount of electricity it draws. If you need a fridge for medical reasons, however, the uni will test and certify your fridge so you can use it. I'm guessing you just want one to stop people from stealing your food though, right?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Strangey
Officially no, you're not. Apparently it constitutes a fire hazard with the high amount of electricity it draws. If you need a fridge for medical reasons, however, the uni will test and certify your fridge so you can use it. I'm guessing you just want one to stop people from stealing your food though, right?

is it in an official policy? At the safety talk it wasn't on the list of prohibited items though :/
I've never been able to find a mention of mini fridges as being banned (unlike candles, joss sticks, deep fat frying and halogen lights) and a flatmate in Oak House had one last year, so I don't think they are banned (which is unusual for a university!).
most universities 'ban' a whole list of things going into your room from a safety point of view. HOWEVER they never check, so everyone just ignores them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending