The Student Room Group

I am not here for some of my university exams in December..what do i do??

Hi,

So my family have made arrangements for our family to go on a pilgrimage so from the start of December i won't be here...the problem is that i have about 3 online assignments to do and i also have to submit a hard copy of my coursework on the 13th December which i have to start now...I can submit my coursework before i leave...but will there be any problems with the online assignments? are these online assignments controlled by invigilators?? I will have internet access so i can do it there but will i be allowed?

Thanks, any help appreciated
Reply 1
Personally I would think that university exams are more important than a pilgrimage, so it's very unfair of your family to expect you to go with them. If it's not possible for you to complete the online assessments where ever you're going then I think the best thing would be the stay behind, after all you'll have plenty of time for such things after university.
Reply 2
Original post by Kovu07
Personally I would think that university exams are more important than a pilgrimage, so it's very unfair of your family to expect you to go with them. If it's not possible for you to complete the online assessments where ever you're going then I think the best thing would be the stay behind, after all you'll have plenty of time for such things after university.

I agree its like in the summer my family say ''lets go spain'' when I'm sitting all my core maths alevels, history and economics This is education we are talking about and at uni there are less second chances I'd try to find accommodation away from your parents if they literally insist you go.
If you can do them online, then it should be fine.

Talk to your department. I doubt they'll be very sympathetic, but it's worth a shot.
Reply 4
It is also worth remembering that the university may still expect you to be available to complete these assessments on campus, as they are during term time. So if you go on the pilgrimage and are unable to complete them it could seriously affect your mark for the year. Would it be possible to move the trip to when you're on uni holidays, as most unis give you a few weeks off?
Reply 5
They made the plans very early in the year
Reply 6
Original post by Angel123
Hi,

So my family have made arrangements for our family to go on a pilgrimage so from the start of December i won't be here...the problem is that i have about 3 online assignments to do and i also have to submit a hard copy of my coursework on the 13th December which i have to start now...I can submit my coursework before i leave...but will there be any problems with the online assignments? are these online assignments controlled by invigilators?? I will have internet access so i can do it there but will i be allowed?

I'm sorry but I hardly think you should fail to sit your exams because of a pilgrimage, there's loads of time during summer or even Christmas break to do such things but you only get to sit your exams once! (unless you fail and happen to have a resit period). At my Uni, if you miss the exam you don't get given the chance to resit and you just fail so I wouldn't risk it.
If you seriously cannot get out of it I would see your course leader and explain the situation to them, but I can't see missing exams being a viable option if I am honest!
Reply 7
Yeah you should be able to online submit, probably back it up with an email attachment to your tutor if there's any doubt about the success of the submission.
Tbh though, wth are your parents thinking booking trips during term?
Reply 8
Original post by Angel123
Hi,

Im sure that would be allowed, I had to do online tests by a deadline, and as long as they were done by the deadline it didnt matter where you were when they were completed. Unless you are timetabled to sit in a computer room under exam conditions and sit the online test at that specific time?
Reply 9
Your parents are mad. Tell them you have no choice but to stay. They can't force you to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending