The Student Room Group

Would you sell drugs to pay your way through university?

I read Doctor Dealer (Google 'Yuppie Conspiracy)a while back watched an episode of Breaking Bad earlier. So I was wondering, in a hypothetical scenario where it is impossible for you to get caught by the police/killed by 'career' drug dealers etc. would you sell drugs?

For example, would any chemistry students consider making crystal meth and selling it? I mean a kilo of that stuff would cover the majority of your tuition fees. Or even any other type of student who would sell drugs such as cocaine.

Selling them to other students, locals etc, basically anyone a 'normal' drug dealer would steal to.

So considering that it isn't technically (in this case as you can't get caught) illegal, would you do it?

I'll edit with the reason why I'm asking when I see some answers first.

Edit:
So as I guessed it was a 'some would, others would feel guilty' consensus.

I basically wanted to know if anyone would put their own financial gain in front of other people's lives. Some of the comments here saying that 'they know what they are buying' etc, and yes they do. But you do have to remember that had it not been for you some of them may not have had the chance to buy any. Now most of those would finish their degree and likely never touch the stuff again, but some would get hooked and likely end up ruining their life all because of a door that you opened for them.

I would like to think I wouldn't just because I couldn't live with thinking I helped damage someone's life. No one can really say for sure though.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know... it doesn't feel right even if it is impossible to get caught/ have career ruined. I might.. just might if I was in the worst of situations lol, but that is a maybe!
I would rather work for Gus than go uni
But if it was impossible to get caught wouldn't everyone do it?
Reply 4
why is everyone fronting?
Reply 5
Of course I would, if I had the guts xD.
Reply 6
Well, ok - why not ask if having sex with children wasn't illegal - would you do it?

EDIT: Clearly there are 5 6 people who would.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Clip
Well, ok - why not ask if having sex with children wasn't illegal - would you do it?

What if someone offered to pay you to have sex with children to cover your tuition fees, and you wouldn't get caught, would you do it?
To be honest, I'd be uncomfortable with doing it.

The most likely people who would be sold to would be friends, people I knew, an I don't want to

A) take their money
B) get them addicted

so no, I wouldn't.
Personally, i just wouldn't be able to do it as the guilt would just eat me up...
Reply 10
Original post by MagicNMedicine
What if someone offered to pay you to have sex with children to cover your tuition fees, and you wouldn't get caught, would you do it?

Interesting theory - that tuition fees override human decency.
I just couldn't live with the guilt if something happened to someone. However I would be happy to feel like **** and sell my body in replacement to pay my way through uni.
If I were willing to sell drugs to pay my way through university, then why not just forget about university and stick with my drug-selling career? It'd probably be more lucrative than most graduate jobs... :s-smilie:
Yeh I would do it, the people buying the drug know what they are buying so why should I feel guilty? I could offer them purer better and safer stuff than the average stuff on the street by making it myself.
Reply 14
Original post by Clip

Not the point I am making here. For a start few people are attracted to children. Also, where would the financial gain be in committing this crime?
Reply 15
Obviously if you could never be caught a lot of people would be dealing drugs. Drug dealing is hardly the most immoral of trades, it has just been vilified by the government to the point where selling some rich *******s some coke to shoot up said *******s = child raping nazi slaver.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Well if you could guarantee the drug was clean? then it wouldn't be so bad.
Reply 17
OP you late to the party, yours truly already doin this
someone's been watching breaking bad

(makes me regret studying humanities :colone:)
I would rather sell drugs than sell myself (there are a lot of threads asking if students would consider prostitution/strip clubs etc). But if it was just to make more money to live slightly more comfortably then no, my parents are fortunately in a position to give me enough to live on and uni isn't supposed to be a luxury life and that's part of the fun. Plus if I got caught I would automatically be banned from the profession that I want to enter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending