The Student Room Group

Imperial fourth A level

Hey guys.
I'm looking to apply for Imperial's A100 medicine course and am currently taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at A2.

I just wanted to know, as Imperial have requirements of AAAC for 4 A2s, will I be disadvantaged if I drop my fourth A2 (physics) halfway through the year if I feel it will negatively impact on my other subjects?

How bad will it be if I do this after rather than before possible interviews or offers?

Thanks for the help! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by miike183
Hey guys.
I'm looking to apply for Imperial's A100 medicine course and am currently taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at A2.

I just wanted to know, as Imperial have requirements of AAAC for 4 A2s, will I be disadvantaged if I drop my fourth A2 (physics) halfway through the year if I feel it will negatively impact on my other subjects?

How bad will it be if I do this after rather than before possible interviews or offers?

Thanks for the help! :biggrin:

the imperial standard offer for those doing 4 A2s is AAAC
the imperial standard offer for those doing 3 A2s and an AS is AAAb (with the b in the AS)

basically, as long as you have a b at least in AS physics, then you should be ok.

I think Imperial would allow you but you need to ask their permission to drop it beforehand, though perhaps it would be best to email them now to make sure.

best of luck :h:
Reply 2
Thanks!
I called them up today and they said as long as I notify them before I drop then it's okay :biggrin:
I've got the A in AS so I'm in a safe position thankfully :smile:

You applying for med-schools this year?
Reply 3
Thanks!
I called them up today and they said as long as I notify them before I drop then it's okay :biggrin:
I've got the A in AS so I'm in a safe position thankfully :smile:

You applying for med-schools this year?

No problem, happy to have helped!

Nope, I'm actually about to start at imperial next week! Hopefully you're in the same position this time next year eh? :h:
If you have any further questions about imperial or the BMAT I'd be very happy to help.

(PS: there doesn't seem to be an 'Imperial medicine applicants 2013 entry' thread as of yet?? this time last year the 2012 entry one was well underway!)
Reply 4
Ahh that's awesome, congratz!

I'd love to be in your position this time next year, I fell in love with Imperial ahaha.
How was your personal experience of the BMAT anyway and how much do Imperial take it into account?
Also, how was the interview?

Sorry if it feels like I'm interrogating you ahaha, I just figure you'd be in the best position to answer these as you've just been through them :biggrin:

Reply 5
Original post by Alex J
No problem, happy to have helped!

Nope, I'm actually about to start at imperial next week! Hopefully you're in the same position this time next year eh? :h:
If you have any further questions about imperial or the BMAT I'd be very happy to help.

(PS: there doesn't seem to be an 'Imperial medicine applicants 2013 entry' thread as of yet?? this time last year the 2012 entry one was well underway!)

Hi, so you have any tips for BMAT? also, what score did you get for it, and do you know the cut off score?

Reply 6
Original post by master y
Hi, so you have any tips for BMAT? also, what score did you get for it, and do you know the cut off score?

Theres a good book called "How to Master the BMAT" by Chris Tyreman. The best resource however is the past paper bank on the cambridge assessment website http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/bmat/Test+Preparation - (scroll down to see the list)
but I wouldn't start to do those papers until two weeks before the real thing.

I got 6.0, 7.0, 2.5A
The cutoff for 2012 entry (my cycle) was 4.9, 4.9, 2.5B
The cutoff for 2011 entry was 4.9, 4.9, 2.5C

Heres a link to a page showing the distribution of marks in the 2012 entry BMAT (which was taken last year in 2011) to put the above marks into context: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/126401_Explanation_of_BMAT_Results_2011.pdf

If you fail to meet the cutoff in even one respect, then you should expect a rejection, however if you meet the cutoff in all the sections, you'd have a very strong chance of an interview provided other aspects of your application aren't too shabby (but BMAT is the main thing really). After interview, your performance in the interview itself is by far the biggest factor in deciding who gets an offer, your BMAT, academics, personal statement etc will matter very little, if at all, at that stage so if you get that far, put aside any anxieties you may have about the rest of your application and focus on your interview performance.
Reply 7
Ahh that's awesome, congratz!

I'd love to be in your position this time next year, I fell in love with Imperial ahaha.
How was your personal experience of the BMAT anyway and how much do Imperial take it into account?
Also, how was the interview?

Sorry if it feels like I'm interrogating you ahaha, I just figure you'd be in the best position to answer these as you've just been through them :biggrin:

See the above post for BMAT advice and info (May I kindly ask you to quote my message when you reply in the future, otherwise I wont know that you replied!)

Well I'm not allowed to talk about specific details of my interview on TSR (ie exactly what questions I was asked) or a mod will give me a telling off :colondollar: but yeah Imperial was a bit of a grilling, the panel would interrupt me repeatedly (often before I had even had a chance to finish my second sentence!) and they asked questions which werent exactly obscure, but they were somewhat unanticipated and I didnt have a fully planned answer for them (so i had to improvise a little in places). I came out and I remember giving my performance 5/10. Though after a 2 and a half week wait I got an offer somehow. Do note however that everyone who I have talked to about imperial medicine interviews has told me that they're very straightforward and they asked the most basic of questions. I think that perhaps I was randomly allocated a stress interview :s-smilie: but it all worked out in the end so its all good, and I'm fairly sure I was in a small minority to have received a "stress interview".

Hope that helps, and no problem, I'm happy to help :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Alex J
Theres a good book called "How to Master the BMAT" by Chris Tyreman. The best resource however is the past paper bank on the cambridge assessment website http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/bmat/Test+Preparation - (scroll down to see the list)
but I wouldn't start to do those papers until two weeks before the real thing.

I got 6.0, 7.0, 2.5A
The cutoff for 2012 entry (my cycle) was 4.9, 4.9, 2.5B
The cutoff for 2011 entry was 4.9, 4.9, 2.5C

Heres a link to a page showing the distribution of marks in the 2012 entry BMAT (which was taken last year in 2011) to put the above marks into context: http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/126401_Explanation_of_BMAT_Results_2011.pdf

If you fail to meet the cutoff in even one respect, then you should expect a rejection, however if you meet the cutoff in all the sections, you'd have a very strong chance of an interview provided other aspects of your application aren't too shabby (but BMAT is the main thing really). After interview, your performance in the interview itself is by far the biggest factor in deciding who gets an offer, your BMAT, academics, personal statement etc will matter very little, if at all, at that stage so if you get that far, put aside any anxieties you may have about the rest of your application and focus on your interview performance.

Im a bit worried about the essay, how did you prepare for this? And what would you do if you were to improve on your score? Well done btw :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Alex J
the imperial standard offer for those doing 4 A2s is AAAC
the imperial standard offer for those doing 3 A2s and an AS is AAAb (with the b in the AS)

basically, as long as you have a b at least in AS physics, then you should be ok.

I think Imperial would allow you but you need to ask their permission to drop it beforehand, though perhaps it would be best to email them now to make sure.

best of luck :h:

This is completely irrelevant, but just for curiosity did you go to a private, state or grammar school? Good luck at imperial!! Are you enjoying it so far?
Reply 10
Original post by master y
This is completely irrelevant, but just for curiosity did you go to a private, state or grammar school? Good luck at imperial!! Are you enjoying it so far?

I went to a private school :smile:

yeah imperials amazing, first week is all introductory lectures so theres no work to do and its all about having fun :biggrin:

you definitely wont regret applying here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending