The Student Room Group

Hostel/hotel in Berlin for a solo traveller?

Hi,

I was considering going to Berlin sometime before the end of this year.

I would like to know if anyone here has any experiences of hotels/hostels in Berlin and would be able to recommend somewhere to stay for a 23 year old man staying alone?

Ive looked at this one which is a good price

http://www.generatorhostels.com/en/berlin/?gclid=CPndmvGr07ICFaXKtAodVTsACQ

Its called the 'Generator Hostel', it offers privates rooms with own bathroom for quite cheap, but reviews tend to say its full of teenagers/a very young crowd!

Can anyone recommend anywhere??

Thanks so much if anyone is able to advise
Probably wouldn't recommend the Generator as a lone traveller. I met a Hungarian fellow on my second night there who I chilled with in the bar, but I get the feeling I was lucky. It is indeed full of teenagers and group travellers. It's also a fair way out of town, which is alright if you have friends to keep you company heading into town, but it gets tedious walking in every day.

Better to get somewhere smaller and closer to central Berlin I think.
Personal preferences play a big part OP. Some people seem to love Generator and Wombats hostels chains (both very popular). When I went to Berlin I stayed in Wombats- though it simply wasnt my cup of tea. Very timid place for a supposed party hostel, too formal, too big- too much like a hotel. If you want great facilities, very clean rooms (the rooms in Wombats' are at minimum what you'd get in a 3 star hotel) but a lack of atmosphere then Wombats' is the place for you.
Reply 3
Not a hostel, but look at the Apartments am Brandenburger Tor. They're the apartments that used to be awarded to East German politicians and Olympic medallists. Now many of them are rented out as cheap holiday lets. It's very central and convenient for Unter den Linden and things like the walking tours.
Original post by rockrunride
Probably wouldn't recommend the Generator as a lone traveller. I met a Hungarian fellow on my second night there who I chilled with in the bar, but I get the feeling I was lucky. It is indeed full of teenagers and group travellers. It's also a fair way out of town, which is alright if you have friends to keep you company heading into town, but it gets tedious walking in every day.

Better to get somewhere smaller and closer to central Berlin I think.

There's also a u-bahn stop less than a minute away.
Original post by bloomblaze
Hi,

I was considering going to Berlin sometime before the end of this year.

I would like to know if anyone here has any experiences of hotels/hostels in Berlin and would be able to recommend somewhere to stay for a 23 year old man staying alone?

Ive looked at this one which is a good price

http://www.generatorhostels.com/en/berlin/?gclid=CPndmvGr07ICFaXKtAodVTsACQ

Its called the 'Generator Hostel', it offers privates rooms with own bathroom for quite cheap, but reviews tend to say its full of teenagers/a very young crowd!

Can anyone recommend anywhere??

Thanks so much if anyone is able to advise

Yes, Generator Hostels for the win. I've been to that one with uni. Very clean as you'd expect and the events are fun. I did karaoke :smile:

Theres a train station next door and the tram isn't too far either which goes into Alexanderplatz, where the attractions are.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
There's also a u-bahn stop less than a minute away.

There is indeed (it's actually S-bahn) but I got fed up with commuting into town. I got so tired since it wasn't really feasible to head back to my bed to chill out in the middle of the day in the height of summer.
Don't forget the Berlin card, which you can get at the airport, gives discounts on transport and attractions
Original post by rockrunride
There is indeed (it's actually S-bahn) but I got fed up with commuting into town. I got so tired since it wasn't really feasible to head back to my bed to chill out in the middle of the day in the height of summer.

This was a while ago, I can't be expected to remember down to the letter :tongue:

Yeah, fair enough, though this is looking like it'll probably be in winter, and tbh I'd have thought that if you were going to see more than your immediate vicinity in berlin you'd want to take a train of one kind of another anyway.

Maybe I'm just incredibly lazy when it comes to walking.
Reply 9
Hey people
for Berlin you search if good overnight accommodations. Then look about the center of Berlin. I have two after short look there these are found very interesting for you. (I was there already ml ways of thinking are quite favorable also from the price). I also found her very clean and the service why also cool.

you have good connectivities and the other one a little far away but nevertheless very centrally if this
http://www. three-little-pigs. com

Hopes I could help you :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Oddessy Hostel!

http://www.globetrotterhostel.de/

I had so much fun their. Met some cool people. It's clean. Plenty of safe storage space under your bed which you can lock. A good bar. On the East side. Pool table. Good Kitchen. Free breakfast. Close to the underground. Good bathroom facilities.

I thought it was really great!
Reply 11
Original post by pizzle223
Oddessy Hostel!

http://www.globetrotterhostel.de/

I had so much fun their. Met some cool people. It's clean. Plenty of safe storage space under your bed which you can lock. A good bar. On the East side. Pool table. Good Kitchen. Free breakfast. Close to the underground. Good bathroom facilities.

I thought it was really great!

Did you travel alone or with someone?
Original post by bloomblaze
Did you travel alone or with someone?

I was alone. But it didn't take long to make friends at hostel.

Quick Reply

Latest