The Student Room Group

Economics, University application choices. Advice needed!

Hello! I am applying very soon to my 5 universities to do straight Economics, I'm 99.9999% sure of that, that's all fine. I just am not too sure if my choices are the best or smartest choices to make, below are my 5 choices I am currently looking to apply to and what they require in order from top to bottom choice.
1.Durham A*AA
2.Nottingham A*AA/A*AAB/AABB
3.Southampton AAA/AABB
4.Surrey AAA/AAB (with maths)
5.Kent ABB

Now the AS levels I took were AS Accounting, Economics, English Language and Maths.
I dropped English Language and took up Accelerated Business Studies.
My predicted grades are A*AAA with the A* in Economics, are my university choices too high for someone like me? In my opinion if I do very well and get lucky in the exams I may get that, but a realistic outcome will be AABB? something like that...

Help needed, thanks a lot!
Your subjects aren't that good imo. You should have further maths or at least a science along with economics and maths. Accounting is a soft subject and I don't get why you dropped English to do business. Universities dont like you doing both economics and business studies.
I was not 'well behaved' in school, lucky to finish my gcses, sciences were never my strong point, and I took my maths gcse in Xmas of year 10 and up until year 12 hadn't done maths so I thought i'd be too far behind to do Further maths! I have spoken to people at all of the universities except Durham and they say they have no problem with the subjects...?
Reply 3
Original post by smithstefan1995
I was not 'well behaved' in school, lucky to finish my gcses, sciences were never my strong point, and I took my maths gcse in Xmas of year 10 and up until year 12 hadn't done maths so I thought i'd be too far behind to do Further maths! I have spoken to people at all of the universities except Durham and they say they have no problem with the subjects...?

Ask Durham too! Maybe also look into York for your AAA/AAB option and Newcastle/Sheffield/UEA for your AAB option? Your options are fine anyway, just raising your awareness to unis you might not have thought about :smile:
Durham is that option you put down which is a bit optimistic if you know what I'm on about? :smile: And so do you think the grades I've put are alright? I've looked at Sheffield :smile: I'm from Essex, and I want to be quite far from home to 'grow up' and what not, so UEA (Norwich) is a bit too close for me :smile: But similarly I wouldn't go more that 5 hours away unless it was very very good like Durham, the rest are about 2/3 hours :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by smithstefan1995
Durham is that option you put down which is a bit optimistic if you know what I'm on about? :smile: And so do you think the grades I've put are alright? I've looked at Sheffield :smile: I'm from Essex, and I want to be quite far from home to 'grow up' and what not, so UEA (Norwich) is a bit too close for me :smile: But similarly I wouldn't go more that 5 hours away unless it was very very good like Durham, the rest are about 2/3 hours :smile:

Yeah, I was going to say don't you need the A* prediction in Maths but having just looked at Durham and Nottingham's entry requirements I would have been wrong in saying so.

You're good to go :smile:
Yeah I've done my research haha :wink: I just don't know if these are realistically good targets thats all :/ :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending